Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just saw an interesting study on you tube about "premium gas vs. regular" and confirms what I suspect all along. I am a preventative maintenance nut and yet even in my turbo cars I never ran anything but regular.
Never had any knocking (even in summer climbing mountains).

It's all hype/scam for the oil companies so the rich can get richer. Oh sure, there is always the exception to anything but for us regular is good enough.

Sure a few sense more for our dinky tanks ain't nothing but hey we're talking about the amount of needless spending for the public as a whole......and where does the money go, the FAT CATS.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
This has been discussed to death! I use premium gas because it is available without ethanol, and with a 91 octane rating. Using it in my car, I get the best MPG and it seems to run smoother. When I use regular with a lower octane rating, or with ethanol, my MPG drops considerably which negates any savings in the price.

They talk about using regular vs premium in MOST cars, but not in a special design motor like used in a smart. your car is not a cast iron american gas guzzler they are referring to. Feel free to try regular gas and draw your own opinion.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/should-i-use-regular-gas-ethanol-142410/

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/using-non-premium-fuel-7409/

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/gas-octane-rating-17418/

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/what-type-gas-do-you-use-21448/

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/dino-oil-regular-gas-35688/

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/grade-fuel-us-259/
and there are plenty more...

·
Registered
253 Posts
just saw an interesting study on you tube about "premium gas vs. regular" and confirms what I suspect all along. I am a preventative maintenance nut and yet even in my turbo cars I never ran anything but regular.
Never had any knocking (even in summer climbing mountains).

It's all hype/scam for the oil companies so the rich can get richer. Oh sure, there is always the exception to anything but for us regular is good enough.

Sure a few sense more for our dinky tanks ain't nothing but hey we're talking about the amount of needless spending for the public as a whole......and where does the money go, the FAT CATS.
If you feel that way go ahead on and use regular & save a few Cents even though it is not recommended by MB.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Under the majority of circumstances, all smart fortwo engines should be operated with premium fuel with a minimum of 91 octane. It is tuned for it.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I use 91 octane. Cost a little more. $2.40 a gallon. I obtain a little better gas milage. I used 93 a couple times too. Really got good gas milage. The best. Not worth the extra cost. We had a smart car event, in Iowa. Only 87 was available. Didn’t seem to make any difference.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have tried both and did not hear knocking nor feel and difference in engine performance and as the study shows cleaners are no different in the higher octane so....I run 87. maybe you people that live in hilly country might feel a little more power but in table top Florida it makes no difference for us.

now if and when I ever get my water/alcohol injection in I'll let you know. That's a whole nother story and it does work (used it on many cars). Dad taught me how on WWii bombers

·
17,476 Posts
My engine misfires when running 87 in wintertime conditions. It doesn’t misfire when running 93 in the same conditions, that’s all the evidence I need.

Also, I lose 4-5 mpg when running Regular in any weather, the engine just doesn’t seem to like it.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
My engine misfires when running 87 in wintertime conditions. It doesn’t misfire when running 93 in the same conditions, that’s all the evidence I need.

Also, I lose 4-5 mpg when running Regular in any weather, the engine just doesn’t seem to like it.
Our whole smart car club, filled up with with 87 octane. In Winterset Iowa. Madison County smart car event. That’s all they offered, in that little town. Not a issue, with any of the smart cars driving 250 miles home. Back to Kansas City. That also included, the other smart car owner from surrounding states. That attend the same event. Used the same 87. Why spend a lot more money, on 93 octane? Just to gain a few miles per gallon. That doesn’t make any sense to me. Not saving any money there. You computer, should adjust to the octane, used.

91 octane is just all around fine.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
This topic has been discussed so many times in the past. Just like everyone has a ......... they have an opinion. Mine is that I generally don't think that car companies are in the business of making their products look like high cost of ownership machines (higher cost gas) just for fun. Plus I don't think (someone may correct me here) that said companies make a dime off your gas purchases. So what would be the car companies (MB in this case) gain by listing higher octane gas for the smart line of autos? If in fact higher octane gas benefits the system somehow. Me.... I just pay the higher price knowing that my smart is using a lot less than the SUV filling up next to me.

·
17,476 Posts
. Why spend a lot more money, on 93 octane? Just to gain a few miles per gallon. That doesn’t make any sense to me. Not saving any money there. You computer, should adjust to the octane, used.

91 octane is just all around fine.
Well I mean, my car performs measurably worse in sub 30 degree temperatures when I’m running anything less than 91 octane (92 and 93 are the most common around here). As it is, the engine misfires in under 20 degree temps. My engine has been doing both since new too, 2016’s fire didn’t do either.

I have no idea why my engine acts like that. However, surviving the fire, rolling on to 140k, towing all the trailers, and hurtling down Interstates at 95mph seem to indicate that the engine is still healthy.

I guess maybe the cars require premium because of tolerances and engine efficiency.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I only use premium in my smart.
I have to agree with "DowneasTTer" if the engine didn't require it, why would Mercedes and Mitsubishi want to artificially rase the cost of ownership of an otherwise economy car? It doesn't make sense.
It is the only one of our 4 vehicles that gets premium, that includes my recently acquired modified Hemi Ram.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
European fuel has a higher rating for regular gas, In the USA we need to use premium gas to get the same octane rating .

The computer will adjust for the lower octane rating but it will make everything work harder to get the same performance.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Even cars that don’t require premium get it in my household, except the wife’s ‘13 C-MAX Energi. When I convinced her to get the car she complained at the gas station that it notes regular in the manual and so we compromised on 89. (Sometimes it still gets premium if I go to Sam’s Club for example and there is only 87 or 91. My parents’ ‘12 Prius v gets premium, and never had any knocking concern like some others reported, which Toyota fixed)....

I wouldn’t dare use anything less if the manufacturer specified it. (In fact my wife, son, and I were looking at Porsche’s at the LA auto Show one year and the gas doors noted 93. I was shocked, and turned off from the brand as there is no option for 93 in most gas stations here in CA).

·
17,476 Posts
I guess the subject of what fuel to use is like the subject of towing trailers. Some will swear by the book, others will do what their experience tells them works best. :)

All I know is that my car has troubles running anything less than premium in the winter, that’s good enough justification for me!

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I guess the subject of what fuel to use is like the subject of towing trailers. Some will swear by the book, others will do what their experience tells them works best. :)

All I know is that my car has troubles running anything less than premium in the winter, that’s good enough justification for me!

That’s very interesting that it is winter and cold when there are issues. I/One would expect predetonation to occur much more frequently in hot weather where the engine has more of a challenge to keep itself cool.

Maybe your car has a cooling system issue you should address?....

·
17,476 Posts
I've long determined my car to have some sort of cooling issue. In previous threads I've explained that in sub 20 degree temperatures, the car does not want to stay at running temps. That's perfectly fine for me as that has also directly translated to the engine running cooler in the summer.

I've begged my dealers throughout the entirety of my warranty to fix the thermostat, but they gave me the annoying "no CEL, no fix" explanation each and every time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts