Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our forTwo continues to sit with a transmission that might be the transmission and might be the software. I could take it to the local Mercedes dealer, but, since the car isn't drivable for the speeds needed to drive there, it would need to be towed which, given that I live on an island and a ferry is involved, would be pretty expensive.

Someone offered to bring by their STAR clone, but hasn't been able to do so yet.

The best long-term solution for us may be to buy our own STAR clone. What are the options that are known to work with a '08 451?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have heard the clone Star systems might not have all the functionality enabled. Do your homework.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Just piping up to say that I have nothing useful as input, but am quite interested in the replies. I know there are several folks on clubsmartcar.com with various version of STAR systems, but it seems a lot of them have 450s, which may or may not matter.

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
Is there such a thing? With the most up to date MB vehicle software, continually loaded on it. I really doubt it.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I have one of the C3 versions and I do not believe there is a way to update system software, like for the transmission without being connected to the MB network.

I had hoped there would be a way to save newer software and update the software of older cars.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there such a thing? With the most up to date MB vehicle software, continually loaded on it. I really doubt it.
One doesn't need the most up-to-date MB software for a 2008 forTwo. It would be nice if it worked on my friend's Sprinter as well.

There are a lot of sources of STAR diagnostics units available with some software of questionable license status.

Because of where I live, even though the Mercedes dealer is only 15 miles away as the crow flies, the cost to get my car towed there approaches the low-end price of some of those Chinese-sourced STAR units. Add in what the dealer will charge to plug it into their STAR and it would cover the rest of the cost. But, not if it doesn't work with my (wife's) car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have one of the C3 versions and I do not believe there is a way to update system software, like for the transmission without being connected to the MB network.
That is one of my concerns.

I just found out that the mechanic less than a mile from my house is a Mercedes shop, so I have been trying to find out whether they had a STAR with the ability to initialize the transmission.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts