Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
OE cruise was never certified for the US or Canada. It can be added though, you need a cruise stalk installed and a STAR machine and TAN code to activate it. The OE cruise is so much better than the after market version.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
In Europe, cruise was an option on all models. As Huronlad says, it was not standard equipment on any car.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
If you know someone with access to a Mercedes Star machine that has the 450 on it, then you buy this if you have a coupe smart car Cruise Control Stalk - 450 Coupe
or this if you have a cabrio
smart car Cruise Control Stalk - 450 Cabrio
Install the stalk, very easy to do. Get a TAN code (I can make you one if you PM me your VIN number) and have your connection turn it on with the Star machine. then you have cruise control just as it would have came from the factory with it.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
This is a 450 thread in a 450 forum.....:wink:
Sorry, Jwight, unless one notices the fine tiny print above in the Reply to thread line most of us responders probably didn't notice that. The OP appears to live in Florida. I've never heard of Oviedo FL, must be somewhere near Orlando. :p

the only clue was the Mention of the Pulse, and maybe the odd name.
Forgive us for trying to help.
So don't get your undies in a wad.... :D

·
Super Moderator
28,543 Posts
Sorry, Jwight, unless one notices the fine tiny print above in the Reply to thread line most of us responders probably didn't notice that. The OP appears to live in Florida. I've never heard of Oviedo FL, must be somewhere near Orlando. :p

the only clue was the Mention of the Pulse, and maybe the odd name.
Forgive us for trying to help.
So don't get your undies in a wad.... :D
Not a big deal - have done the same myself a few times. This is what you should see in the box below the HOME - FORUMS - GALLERY line:

Go Back Smart Car of America Forums : Smart Car Forum > Model Discussions > Original (450) smart fortwo
Which Models Have Cruise Control? Which Models Have Cruise Control?

Again, not a big deal but maybe confusing for the OP. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oviedo, seven miles east of Casselberry...:)
Yes, that is about right. And thanks so much you all, for the info about being able to add cruise, for when I finally get a diesel Smart. I cannot stand a vehicle w/o cruise!

What I am looking to do, is deliver large motorhomes from Indiana to Florida. A Smart (especially a diesel) would allow me to make that much more money, when the fuel I use to get up there is miniscule! :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you know someone with access to a Mercedes Star machine that has the 450 on it, then you buy this if you have a coupe smart car Cruise Control Stalk - 450 Coupe
or this if you have a cabrio
smart car Cruise Control Stalk - 450 Cabrio
Install the stalk, very easy to do. Get a TAN code (I can make you one if you PM me your VIN number) and have your connection turn it on with the Star machine. then you have cruise control just as it would have came from the factory with it.
I thought I read somewhere, the TAN code is needed only for the 451. If true, is a Star machine not needed either??? If I do need one and/or a TAN code, how do I go about having access to one in Orlando area??? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
For the 450 you have two choices for cruise, OE and MDC. Post 2 tells you what is needed for OE. The MDC is plug and play.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
However, quality control on MDC units is spotty and the operation is not that good on hills, unlike the OE version.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The OE cruise is so much better than the after market version.
Why do you say that? My only experience is with the Area 451 CC on both our smarts and they've worked well for us. What makes the the OE cruise "so much better"?

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Since we are talking about the 450 there is no Area451 option. That being said the OE cruise on the 450 is better than the Area451 in the 451.

The OE has better accuracy, little or no over run on hills. The factory control stalk works much better than trying to have multiple functions from a single button.

The MDC is susceptible to RF noise and faulty connections, the units themselves also have a high failure rate.

The OE is much easier to install but you do need a STAR machine and a TAN code.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OE cruise was never certified for the US or Canada. It can be added though, you need a cruise stalk installed and a STAR machine and TAN code to activate it. The OE cruise is so much better than the after market version.
I know this is an old post, but I recently purchased a 2013 Smart. The stalk with the Cruise control button next to the windshield wiper buttons was already installed on my car when I purchased it. I noticed the secondary connector which only had two wires on it was not connected to the back of the stalk and the connector was taped to the factory wiring harness. I plugged it in but I still do not have a functioning cruise control. If I read this thread correctly, all I need to do now is find a dealer that has STAR machine and have them activate the cruise control with a code? Is all the hardware already there in all of the 2013 model year USA smart cars?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Does anyone know how much it would cost to install an OEM cruise in a 2013 Fortwo?
I have never read of anyone adding a cruise control enabled steering wheel and having it activated. Fairly certain it was a factory only deal, as the info display is a different unit as well. MDC, Area451, or buy a 451 with factory cruise.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts