Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two Bluetooth based OBD2 Scan Tools and neither will work on either of my two Smart (451) ED vehicles.

I read a thread on this forum that recommended the Autel MaxiDiag Elite MD802 but the thread only had two posts and it wasn't clear how effective the Scan Tool was or if it would work on the 453 version of the Smart ED. Here's a link to that thread - (1) Best OBD2 reader for Electric or regular smarts | Smart Car of America Forum

Any recommendations for a Scan Tool for the Smart (451) ED - I'd love to hear some feedback from someone who owns both the Scan Tool and the car.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It depends on what youo want to do. If you simply want to check stats of the HV system and the battery, you can make your own DIY battery tool.

For a deeper look in to the smart, I use a Mercedes Xentry tool. It's a hassle to set it up, but when you're done, you've got a tool which is also used by the official workshops.

Till now I haven't had any luck with 3rd party tools. Some get a few codes, but nothing can do simply everything. They mostly get all the coded, the smart electric drive and EQ have got in commen with the standard gas smart cars. But it's getting unreliable when you have to do anything ED / EQ specific.

Reactions: Marginal

·
Registered
177 Posts
@sokoloff and I also make that DIY tool available for sale if you don't feel capable or interested to make it yourself. (I've also happily helped a couple of members who felt like they wanted to DIY the tool but got stuck somewhere along the way.) As MineCooky says, it gives you information on the HV system and battery, but is not a full service tool by any means.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for both replies.

At this point all I think I need is a simple OBD2 tool that would allow me to read and erase codes. I am intrigued by both battery tools mentioned above and will have to look into them further.

Thanks again for the replies and I wish you both a great week.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Autel has detailed vehicle compatibility on their web site, click through to the specs and/or pdf's - I believe the autel Elite MD802 may not be a good recommendation based on very briefly looking into it a long time ago. However if you're not just looking for cell voltage, but error codes--for a CHEAP obd2 bluetooth tool, the autel ht200 & ap200 (same thing) I believe is the closest you can get -- it is a "single brand" bluetooth tool compatible with the~2014-2016 electric drive ed3 including READING codes in most or all "groups" and clearing (maybe) some codes but definitley not all..... This is a very small volume production vehicle, I don't believe you will find what you are looking for via obd2, even for some scan tools that do mention the "electric drive" model, like icarsoft, ---- at least it is very unlikely you will find a "simple" obd2 tool that will clear/erase ALL codes .... As far as I know, to clear/erase ALL codes you need Xentry / multiplexer type setup as Minecooky says which is about $600+ minimum to get set up for the cheapest clone version, on the slow boat from China. Plus some advanced set up and time invested. Most good independent MB shops may/should have the official version $$$$$.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Autel has detailed vehicle compatibility on their web site, click through to the specs and/or pdf's - I believe the autel Elite MD802 may not be a good recommendation based on very briefly looking into it a long time ago. However if you're not just looking for cell voltage, but error codes--for a CHEAP obd2 bluetooth tool, the autel hd200 & ap200 (same thing) I believe is the closest you can get -- it is a "single brand" bluetooth tool compatible with the~2014-2016 electric drive ed3 including READING codes in most or all "groups" and clearing (maybe) some codes but definitley not all..... This is a very small volume production vehicle, I don't believe you will find what you are looking for via obd2, even for some scan tools that do mention the "electric drive" model, like icarsoft, ---- at least it is very unlikely you will find a "simple" obd2 tool that will clear/erase ALL codes .... As far as I know, to clear/erase ALL codes you need Xentry / multiplexer type setup as Minecooky says which is about $600+ minimum to get set up for the cheapest clone version, on the slow boat from China. Plus some advanced set up and time invested. Most good independent MB shops may/should have the official version $$$$$.
Thanks for replying to this thread - your timing is perfect as my "bricked" Smart Car is about to become my next project.

To the extent that all I want to do at this point is read codes you're saying that the Autel AP200M would suit my needs? I just checked the Autel site for "Vehicle Coverage" and noticed that several systems/errors unique to the ED vehicle were covered. When I searched for Autel AP200 the AP200M was the model that I found - here's a link - 2020NEW! Autel MaxiAP AP200M OBD2 Scanner Bluetooth Diagnostic Code Reader Tool | eBay

If I could get an OBDII device that could read codes on my 2015 Smart ED and only spend $59 - that would be awesome.

Thanks again for your information and I hope you have a great week.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't know which sub-model of the AP200 I have, the tool is/was available locally if you're in the states rebranded as the w*llmart ht200. You can search the model smart 451 here on autel's compatibility site: Vehicle Coverage | AUTEL The relevant "system" for your HV battery is n82/2

·
Registered
314 Posts
When you open the big batt be sure NOT to send any current thru that little orange module which is expensive and blows easily. Buy 'easily' I mean it does happen on a regular basis and is moaned about in these pages. :cry:

Connect directly to each of the three modules or 2 at a time, or 3 at a time, but never go thru the buss bars or this module. And only use a current-limited power supply (low current !!!) to do the charging.
VR
--

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you open the big batt be sure NOT to send any current thru that little orange module which is expensive and blows easily. Buy 'easily' I mean it does happen on a regular basis and is moaned about in these pages. :cry:

Connect directly to each of the three modules or 2 at a time, or 3 at a time, but never go thru the buss bars or this module. And only use a current-limited power supply (low current !!!) to do the charging.
VR
--
Thanks for the helpful information.

I will probably look at my "bricked" 451 in the next week or two. If I get lucky and it's an easy fix I'll continue on but if the failure is due to the HV battery it will likely be a long time until I make any repairs. I need a better workspace to take the HV battery out and do a tear down. If I ever get to that stage I'll create a new thread here looking for more helpful advice.

Thanks again for the information and I hope you have a great weekend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts