Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Bluetooth based OBD2 Scan Tools and neither will work on either of my two Smart (451) ED vehicles.

I read a thread on this forum that recommended the Autel MaxiDiag Elite MD802 but the thread only had two posts and it wasn't clear how effective the Scan Tool was or if it would work on the 453 version of the Smart ED. Here's a link to that thread - (1) Best OBD2 reader for Electric or regular smarts | Smart Car of America Forum

Any recommendations for a Scan Tool for the Smart (451) ED - I'd love to hear some feedback from someone who owns both the Scan Tool and the car.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It depends on what youo want to do. If you simply want to check stats of the HV system and the battery, you can make your own DIY battery tool.

For a deeper look in to the smart, I use a Mercedes Xentry tool. It's a hassle to set it up, but when you're done, you've got a tool which is also used by the official workshops.

Till now I haven't had any luck with 3rd party tools. Some get a few codes, but nothing can do simply everything. They mostly get all the coded, the smart electric drive and EQ have got in commen with the standard gas smart cars. But it's getting unreliable when you have to do anything ED / EQ specific.

·
Registered
161 Posts
@sokoloff and I also make that DIY tool available for sale if you don't feel capable or interested to make it yourself. (I've also happily helped a couple of members who felt like they wanted to DIY the tool but got stuck somewhere along the way.) As MineCooky says, it gives you information on the HV system and battery, but is not a full service tool by any means.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for both replies.

At this point all I think I need is a simple OBD2 tool that would allow me to read and erase codes. I am intrigued by both battery tools mentioned above and will have to look into them further.

Thanks again for the replies and I wish you both a great week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts