Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came up on a free 2005 smart fortwo. One of the ones imported from europe. Its the 457th one made.

So this would be a first generation 450 model correct? This thing is so fun to drive and shift. Anybody ever put a blowoff valve on it? I'm wondering what that would entail. Also what is the value of this thing? It has 80,000 miles and runs great. Cant seem to find anything on smarts older than 08.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
Welcome to SCoA! :)

Looks like you have one of the officially certified G&K cars imported for the US market. If it's free it's certainly worth it, otherwise the value is whatever people are willing to pay at this point.

·
17,479 Posts
It appears to be a G&K imported passion. If it's in good condition, you can get around $6k for it. I think my 2005 cabrio has a blow off valve as the sound is certainly there (and it's addictive). I haven't popped the engine bay open yet to confirm. It seems Forge Motorsport's BOV is popular among 450 owners.

https://www.evilution.co.uk/Engine/dump_valve_types.htm

As a recipient of a free 450, myself, I am curious. How did you get it? :D

Reactions: Justin Guffey

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
So that's two free pre-2007 smarts I know of.....that may tell you something about market value! Seriously, if it's running well, just enjoy it. I have never understood the attraction of BOVs, it's like fart cannon exhausts, just annoying.

·
17,479 Posts
You can't be serious??? :eek:
I've opened the engine bay on the coupe for cleaning/service, but I've not opened the one in the cabrio yet. Remember, the car died only a couple days after I got it home from PA, then I shoved it in a storage unit while I was getting out of that nasty house situation. Now that the dust has settled, I got the clutch actuator back working, the roof fixed, and the interior mostly clean. Now I'm moving to the electrical system and engine, and will end up opening the engine bay for the first time. :shrug: I admit I had my priorities a bit confuzzled for a while.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,764 Posts
. . . but I've not opened the one in the cabrio yet. Remember, the car died only a couple days after I got it home from PA, then I shoved it in a storage unit while I was getting out of that nasty house situation.
Respecting all the drama in your life, I knew that I was headed down a slippery slope with my comment.

I have never had a car "die" without curiosity causing me to open the hood to give it a quick post mortem.

And as a car gal with her own smart museum, guess I expected more? It's all good . . .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My mom's husband has been sitting on it for awhile and was tired of paying insurance on it so he gave it to me. Trust me, I asked him "why didn't you try to sell it?" and his reply was "why not give it to you?"

It's actually in great condition. This one is a clutchless manual with the bump shift or paddle shift, and an automatic button on the shifter (are they all like that?). The only other paddle shift car I've driven was a lamborghini huracan, little bit different lol.

I'm interested in the BOV just because how fun it shifts it would sound funny/cool hearing it every time it shifts. Nothing is being taken too seriously with it.
From reading some of the threads on here and the evilution website miss mercedes commented with.. I think this is the correct one..

(I can't post links yet, its on forge motorsports website and it's the "Smart Car Piston Ram Dump Valve and Fitting Kit Product code: FMSCDVK $225.00")

This car is really fun to drive lol

·
17,479 Posts
Awesome! Yeah, selling it would also be sorta a pain since you'd likely get a lot of people expecting a car they can drive and expect to work like a normal car. Eh...not really. You can't even take the car to a MB dealership (at least, not officially). The car has a clutch, however it's operated by the computer. :) I do believe all of the US imports do have the automatic button.

I believe you're looking for this:

https://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/Smart_Car_Piston_Dump_Valve_and_Fitting_Kit--product--819.html

Some tips from someone who has gained two of these cars in the past year:

1. Get a AAA membership. It's not entirely unlikely that the car may try to strand you.

2. Follow the guide on Evilution on cleaning and servicing the clutch actuator. It can help prevent that first one from happening.

3. While not necessary, picking up a MB star machine can make troubleshooting much easier. Of course, they do cost a pretty penny.

Reactions: Justin Guffey

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yep. thats it, but the US version. same part number. thanks for the other tips as well. I'll bookmark those now on the evilution page.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts