Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If cost is not a factor, what is the absolute best tire you would choose for the absolutely smoothest ride possible? (2014 Passion Coupe)

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
There is a complete section on tires and rims you can look through for what owners have put on their cars. As for what is best for a smoothest ride, well that depends on what you are driving on. If you are on gravel roads, the tire /rim combination will be different than if you run across snow and ice, compared to flat even roads and consistent temps.

Tires and rims section:
https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f409/

tires owners have or are using:
https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f409/you-member-i-can-rotate-my-tires-club-25415/
Just so you know, there are a LOT of postings about tires.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If cost is not a factor, what is the absolute best tire you would choose for the absolutely smoothest ride possible? (2014 Passion Coupe)
You could fit 14" diameter rear rims with 185/65R14 rear tires. However, no one makes 14" rims for the 3 bolt hole Smarts so you would need 3 to 5 bolt hole adapters. Then you could fit 14" steel rims 5J x 14 ET50 from a Mercedes 190 (a 1990's car). Don't try fitting 14" rims to the front of a Smart ForTwo as the rims won't clear the front brake calipers. 30mm thick adapters would adjust the 50mm offset of these rims to a 20mm offset which is close to the 22mm offset of the standard rear rims on the Smart 451. You could then fit 165/65R15 front tires to the standard Smart 451 front rims. The outside diameter of both these tire sizes is almost identical, so you wouldn't have any problems with the ESP (ie. the car's electronics). You might not be able to get good quality matching tires in these sizes. In Europe, you can get matching Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires in these sizes but availability in the US is different.

Maybe just stick to an easier modification such as 165/60R15 front tires and 185/55R15 rear tires on standard 4.5J x 15 ET23.5 front steel rims and 5.5J x 15 ET22 rear steel rims. 23psi front tire pressure and 29psi rear tire pressure would be enough to support the weight of the car with these sizes, but owners often increase tire pressure for better handling at the expense of a harder ride. Tire pressure makes a big difference to ride comfort and its easy to notice a 3psi difference. For example, if you increased the rear tire pressure from 29psi to 32psi or 32psi to 35psi you can easily notice the difference. ie. the ride becomes harder as you increase the tire pressure.

In the early days of the Smart ForTwo 1998-2002, Smart used to recommend a very hard 36psi rear tire pressure. But for later cars 2003-2007 they changed their recommendation to 29psi rear tire pressure. This 7psi drop in rear tire pressure made the ride a lot more comfortable. I purchased my first Smart ForTwo in 2002 and had already dropped my rear tire pressure to 29psi before the 2003 car had been released.

·
Super Moderator
17,554 Posts
185/60/15 is the easiest way to get comfortable tyres. I have all four in that size and they're Vredestein Quatrac 5 on the standard staggered size 15in Genius Darwin wheels. They're the smoothest tyres my 451 has ever had, including the factory Contis. The added ground clearance helps too. :)

Reactions: Richnjohn

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
There is no such thing, as a smooth ride. On ant smart car. “Any tire”. The vehicle has a very short wheel base. Very little rebound, after any bump, rough texture road etc. Nature of the beast. Just stick with the OEM tires recommenced sizes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
There is no such thing, as a smooth ride. On ant smart car. “Any tire”. The vehicle has a very short wheel base. Very little rebound, after any bump, rough texture road etc. Nature of the beast. Just stick with the OEM tires recommenced sizes.
You can get a big improvement in ride comfort even if you stick to the standard 175/55R15 rear tire size. Because the driver of a Smart ForTwo sits much nearer to the rear axle than the front axle, the changes to the rear tires will have a bigger effect to ride comfort than changes to the front tires.

1. Recommended rear tire pressure of Smart ForTwo 451 is 36psi. Lower this to 32psi and feel the improvement. The Smart ForTwo 451 (2007 to 2014) weighs 780kg, whereas the Smart ForTwo 450 (1998 to 2007) weighs 730kg. So the difference is less than 10%, and Smart recommended 29psi for the 2003 to 2007 Smart ForTwo, so 32psi is enough to support the weight of the later car.

2. The standard rear tires may have less flexible sidewalls, so change to a tire that is known to have soft and flexible sidewalls such as Vredestein Quatrac 5 175/55R15.

3. The standard rear rims are 5.5" wide. This stretches the sidewalls out and makes the sidewalls flex less easily on the 175/55 size rear tires. To improve the ride you can go down to 4.5" wide rim. The narrower rear rims make the sidewalls flex more easily and so you get a softer and more comfortable ride. You can get this rim width by fitting a standard front rim to the rear. The standard front rim is 4.5J x 15 ET23.5 Your local tire fitter could refuse to fit a 175/55 tire to a 4.5" wide rim as it's not an official size, but it is ok. In fact, it fits the rim just as well as a 185/50 fits a 5" rim and a 205/50 fits a 5.5" rim, which are both recommended sizes. The reason that the 175/55 size isn't officially recommended for the 4.5" rim is because of the way that official guide lumps four different aspect ratios together and gives just one recommendation for all four sizes. This means that half the time you can go to a 0.5" narrower rim with 55 aspect ratio tires, and all of the time you can go to a 0.5" narrower rim with 60 aspect ratio tires.

So by doing all three of these things, that is dropping the rear tire pressure to 32psi, changing the rear tires to ones that have soft and flexible sidewalls, and changing to 1" narrower 4.5" wide rear rims, you will get much improved ride comfort. Keep your original rear rims and tires so that you can remind yourself just how much harder the standard ride is, especially with the standard 36psi rear tire pressure.

If you want even better ride comfort you will need higher sidewalls, such as 185/55R15 or 185/60R15 rear tires matched to suitable front tire sizes.

·
Registered
271 Posts
In my own experience, going to 15x5.5 rims all around (stock rear wheel size) and fitting 195/50r15 tires made a huge difference in ride comfort. Part of the improvement was being able to run lower tire pressures, 26 front and 30 rear. The stock narrow tires on the front were the worst parts of the stock setup, magnifying every bump and hole in the road. I run Nankang Toursports. They are holding up well.

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,033 Posts
185/55R15 General HP, on four rear rims.

The General RT43 replaced this tire...

It's unidirectional, it only rotates one direction, but I can go from front to back no problem...

Really quiet, smooth riding, good mileage...

·
Registered
857 Posts
Softest ride combo I had on my car was moving stock design six 5.5 inch wide 15 inch rims with stock 195/50's up front. I put the stock 4.5 wide design six rims with 195/60's in the rear. That was a good riding car. About 1 month on that combo I caught a great deal and switched to 195/40 17 Yokohama's all around on Genius 17x6 inch rims.

Now a major thing was when I began lubing the chassis pivot points which changed the ride harshness to very much acceptable on the low profile 40's. I had never had the 15 inch rims on with the chassis lubed.

I intend to return to 15 inch rims on my Smart or if blessed with a second Smart to run 15 inch rims on that one. On that set up I would run 205/50's all around with a lubed chassis I believe I would be happy.

My reason return to 15 inch is for thicker side walls a more muscular look the the thin lower profile tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts