Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On engine start after being shut down long enough to cool, there is a high-pitched whine that lasts for about 35 seconds, the frequency getting higher right before it stoops. Is this the vapor canister purge function or ???

Charlie

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
On engine start after being shut down long enough to cool, there is a high-pitched whine that lasts for about 35 seconds, the frequency getting higher right before it stoops. Is this the vapor canister purge function or ???

Charlie
The emissions system is running its air injection pump. This is normal for literally the first 35 seconds.

·
Registered
912 Posts
It is the secondary air injection pump, and it's completely normal.

The secondary air injection pump pumps extra air into the exhaust manifold after a cold start within a certain temperature range in order to reduce emissions during initial warm-up and also to help the catalyst light-up faster.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have this problem now. 2008 smartfortwo passion. I've had the car for 4 years and this is the first time it occurred.
Here is a video. Is this the whine ya'll are talking about?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Sounds like the secondary air injection pump is on its last legs. The noise will be very annoying and goes away after several seconds, but it shouldn't hurt anything. Eventually it will stop working altogether, it'll throw a code and the cel will be on.You will need to replace in order to get through your state inspection.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Even though the sound is 'metallic' it does have the modulation character of the secondary air injection pump. I have read that some disconnect the unit - however as mentioned by orngandblack, you will will need a working device to pass state smog inspection.

Sounds like the secondary air injection pump is on its last legs. The noise will be very annoying and goes away after several seconds, but it shouldn't hurt anything. Eventually it will stop working altogether, it'll throw a code and the cel will be on.You will need to replace in order to get through your state inspection.

·
Registered
22 Posts
How would I disconnect the air injection pump? It would at least help with the diagnostics. If the sound goes away when it is unplugged and comes back when I plug it in - mystery solved.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Above the rear wheel well, passenger side. Search this forum, there are more detailed posts on accessing the unit.

How would I disconnect the air injection pump? It would at least help with the diagnostics. If the sound goes away when it is unplugged and comes back when I plug it in - mystery solved.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great thanks! Found allot of stuff now that I know what I'm looking for. I won't have access to the car for about a month but will post my results when I do. Here's a couple videos I found for reference.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts