Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a whistle and it seems to be getting worse. Anyone else have this issue. I am going to contact the dealer as it is annoying to say the least. it seems to be worse when I have the system on the feet setting.

Dink

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
You can definitely hear the air flowing through mine, at least on settings above 1. I wouldn't call it a "whistle" but it's definitely an air flow sound of some sort. I just assumed it was because the Smart was forcing a relatively large volume of air thru a relatively small duct system. I'll be interested in what your dealer has to say.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I have the same issue if the heat selector isn't all the way open or all the way closed sometimes. I also get a whine out of the antenna if the window is down, and from the vents if they're all closed.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Mine sounds the same with and without the recirculation. It seems to be blower speed dependent - definitely noticeable but not annoying. (With or without the radio on!)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ours only does it when we have the heat on. I played with it some last night and found if I run the heat on highest setting for a few minutes and than change from hot to cold it stops when I go back to hot so it looks like the flap to seal off the hot from cold is not sealing properly when cold. May go away with time depending on how hard the seal is from the factory.

Dink

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Ours only does it when we have the heat on. I played with it some last night and found if I run the heat on highest setting for a few minutes and than change from hot to cold it stops when I go back to hot so it looks like the flap to seal off the hot from cold is not sealing properly when cold. May go away with time depending on how hard the seal is from the factory.

Dink

Like "other" things on the smart, may just need some lube :D

:smartje.rd.zw:

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Directional whistling?

Bored whilst (yes, another gratuitous "whilst" :rolleyes:) sitting in rush hour traffic, I played with the selector a bit. I found that I could make the ventilation system whistle if I put the air flow direction selector at a couple of "inbetween-vents" postions - at about 5 o'clock and at about 8 o'clock. Everywhere else it just made normal flow noises. Perhaps this means something to someone who understand how the system works. Is there a directional guide flap or some such that could be the source?

·
Registered
210 Posts
maybe it's all the daylight you see when you stick your head underneath glovebox and look towards bottom of window area there's no enclosure from outside if you get a passenger to ride like that they say they here it there

1 - 13 of 13 Posts