Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Can u post a link where u bought ur LEDs from?????

Also did u use a special soldering iron to replace these SMD LEDs?????

I want to change my orange LEDs to Blue needles and White Clusters

Nice work man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to search the link again, I found the instruction video for instrument clusters and link to purchased the LED's on Youtube. The LED's were about 60 cents each, about 25 of them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tried soldering these LEDs but for the life of me cant do it. They are TINY! its difficult holding the leds in place and soldering the ends with the led moving all over the place.

I tried melting the solder wire on the iron before then touching the side of the led and board but the solder just hangs from the iron in the wrong position. If the solder hung from the tip then i would have a better chance. Just cant get the iron in there.

Do i need a smaller iron?
Do i hold the solder wire between the led and the iron and solder it directly?
Can you give me some tips?

Are there any companies in the UK that will solder them for me?

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Mr Man,
In order to get the solder to flow, you may need to apply a *tiny* bit of paste-flux to the contacts of the LED and board, set the components together, then apply the tip of the iron (with a bit of solder applied to it) to the contacts. It should flow rapidly enough.

This sort of stuff is much easier under a low-power microscope with a nitrogen environment, but I haven't had access to that in many years (darn it!) Not something I will be doing.

Note to the OP - usually, white light is avoided in the dash, since it lessens night vision. Do you find the brighter, white light impacting you? (wouldn't be bad if there were a dimmer)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Flux is critical, correct solder tip is critical and sucking most of the old solder is a must. Apply a little solder to the LED prong, push down 1 side and apply quick heat, enough to melt the solder down into the circuit board, then the same to the other side. Take your time, I found that using a headband with a magnifying glass helps alot for precision.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The dash lights do dim to different degrees if you tap the right dash button. But do they dim enough, I drop mine all the way down at night because of inside reflections on the side windows.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys.. Im gonna try again.. got lots of LEDs left.
So I guess I need a small tip solder iron.
I like that idea of aplying solder to the leds first then heating the solder up whilst on the board.

What voltage LEDs did you use? I bought some 3.3v and 4v ones. Im gonna try the 4v first.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tried again but failed. They are way too small to apply solder neatly.
impossible!
For you guys that did it yourselves, Im well impressed.
Need a UK company that provides this service.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts