Smart Car of America Forum banner

1261 - 1278 of 1278 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Check out the mileage on some of the Smarts on CARVANA sometime, before they go bankrupt. I’ve seen a few with 60-70k, and still asking big bucks for, There is a demand out there, apparently.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I saw the zombie thread someone resurrected yesterday about mileage, and the recent responses had only one person clocking in over 40,000 miles (wdhitch, moderator, with over 60,000). I figure that anyone driving 20,000 miles a year is pretty dedicated (since it's about 500 per week). As of early Feb 2010, there are only a few of us over 40,000. 30,000 is pretty impressive, too.

Maybe we could make a little calendar of when we hit 10k mileposts. I went over my old posts (and a few others), and came up with some starter data. I'm about to hit 70,000 this Friday, so ...

MILES DRIVEN
date.who.(bought when)

02/12/10. unicycle. (05/09/08)

11/07/09. unicycle. (05/09/08)
??/??/09. wdhitch

07/03/09. KingNine.
??/??/09. jthw8
08/13/09. unicycle. (bought 05/09/08)

??/??/09. jthw8
05/21/09. unicycle. (bought 05/09/08)
??/??/10. bum-bling-B. (bought 04/26/08)

01/28/09. jthw8
02/23/09. unicycle. (bought 05/09/08)
03/??/09. okie_boy.
03/??/09. 2micro4u.
06/??/09. earldahl.
??/??/09. a2jack.

2micro4u was way up there, too, with 47,000 as of 7/6/09, just a few thousand behind me.
jthw8 was ahead of me near the 50,000 mark but later commented that I'd passed him.

And of course you can approximate. Add your info, and then print the list again.

There are also some Canadians who have over 100,000 miles on their 450s, and we should include them (maybe in a different color, for clarity).
I have a 2013 had it about 2 years it had 17,000 miles on it when I bought it and now it has about 29,000

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have 169,742 on my 2008 Passion.
Would be interesting which high mileage smarts are still driving with original parts and why they are holding up...
My smart still has all original parts, even the clutch and the serpentine belts are still original.
Sure i changed the spark plugs and the gear oil and brake pads, replaced and flushed the brake fluid and yearly oil/filter change.
Greasing my clutch actuator every 2 years. Only part who was dead and i needed for smog testing was the secondary air pump - i bought one second hand. Recently I replaced all 3 engine mounts and de-carbonized my cylinders with water injection thru the intake and put
a bottle red line injector cleaner in the tank.
That is it, nothing special.
Only future project is to replace the valve cover gasket and the belts!

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
I've been gone from this site for a few years due to issues with where it was heading. Water under the bridge now, but I still have my '08 smart. Still going strong. I just turned over 207K miles! Original engine, original clutch. In fact, the engine has never had a seal broken on it. My oldest son has been driving it the last 4 years. Since everybody has been locked down with this COVID crap, I decided to start driving it again to work. Lots better mpg's than my V-8 Dakota!!! I have fallen in love with this little car all over again! Cleaned it up, did a few maintenance items it needed, and even took it in to the dealer in Indy this week for the engine bay heat shield safety recall. They were shocked when they looked at the odometer!

Still a great looking car!

·
Registered
19 Posts
congrats.... my 2008 has developed some kind of engine problem at 135+K and i'm not sure it is worth the $ to fix it (whatever the problem is...)
Bill

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
congrats.... my 2008 has developed some kind of engine problem at 135+K and i'm not sure it is worth the $ to fix it (whatever the problem is...)
Bill
Probably the classic burnt exhaust valve issue. What codes is it throwing? P0303 is the usual suspect. My Dad purchased a 2011 smart back in 2016, and got a steal on it because it had an engine issue. Turned out to be burnt exhaust valves on #3 cylinder. We swapped in a low mileage used engine, and it's been perfect since.

Back when I was active on this forum, I warned people to not baby these cars. Drive them like you stole them. They love it. You drive them slow and lug the motor, and you burn exhaust valves. Still drive mine like I stole it to this day. But I was pretty universally panned for that statement at the time.... Guess I got the last laugh?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Probably the classic burnt exhaust valve issue. What codes is it throwing? P0303 is the usual suspect. My Dad purchased a 2011 smart back in 2016, and got a steal on it because it had an engine issue. Turned out to be burnt exhaust valves on #3 cylinder. We swapped in a low mileage used engine, and it's been perfect since.

Back when I was active on this forum, I warned people to not baby these cars. Drive them like you stole them. They love it. You drive them slow and lug the motor, and you burn exhaust valves. Still drive mine like I stole it to this day. But I was pretty universally panned for that statement at the time.... Guess I got the last laugh?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
this one started loading up and billowing out blue smoke and then would spit and cough to a near stop and got to the point it would barely creep.... initially starts fine and then gets worse; sometimes there is a white smoke that someone suggested might be a blown head gasket, but i see no evidence of water in the oil

one forum member suggested that, on his, the pcv line might be dumping oil into the engine and he cured that problem by plugging that line

it's a great little car and i would hate to lose it...
Bill

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
this one started loading up and billowing out blue smoke and then would spit and cough to a near stop and got to the point it would barely creep.... initially starts fine and then gets worse; sometimes there is a white smoke that someone suggested might be a blown head gasket, but i see no evidence of water in the oil

one forum member suggested that, on his, the pcv line might be dumping oil into the engine and he cured that problem by plugging that line

it's a great little car and i would hate to lose it...
Bill
Blue smoke is never good. Could be piston rings, could be valve guides. Either way, that is typically terminal for one of these engines. Nobody really wants to touch them to rebuild them. Best bet is to find a good, low milage motor from a yard near you. Car-part.com is my go to for finding used auto parts.
You should be able to find a motor reasonably close. Then the question is, can you do the work, or hire it out? Is the car worth saving for you?
In my Dad's case, he practically stole the car because if the issue. Even buying a used motor, he still had far less in the car than it was worth.

I admit, heaven forbid, if the engine died on mine, I would put another in it. I don't care that it has over 200k on it. Look at the picture I posted. It's still a very nice car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Blue smoke is never good. Could be piston rings, could be valve guides. Either way, that is typically terminal for one of these engines. Nobody really wants to touch them to rebuild them. Best bet is to find a good, low milage motor from a yard near you. Car-part.com is my go to for finding used auto parts.
You should be able to find a motor reasonably close. Then the question is, can you do the work, or hire it out? Is the car worth saving for you?
In my Dad's case, he practically stole the car because if the issue. Even buying a used motor, he still had far less in the car than it was worth.

I admit, heaven forbid, if the engine died on mine, I would put another in it. I don't care that it has over 200k on it. Look at the picture I posted. It's still a very nice car.
from what i have read, the drive-train comes out from the bottom as a module on a sub-frame; only real difficulty seems to be disconnecting the various wires and cables; ideally you replace EVERYTHING in one lump.... the real problem is finding something low mileage and close-by and affordable in Florida

i also have a 2009 that i am going to swap the Blue Ox tow gear to from the 2008. right now the 2008 has too much value in parts to junk (tires, wheels, cruise control, etc...)
Bill

·
Registered
617 Posts
I’ve always wondered about a rebuild . I can’t see why it wouldn’t be an option for a high mileage motor / or a motor with some mechanical but repairable damage , like a burnt valve . (🦟head shop ) . I know that this 3 cyclinder motor seems very foreign to most shops , is that the reason why they become more or less disposable ? We plan on keeping our two 451’s And one 453 on the road for many years. I’d hate to see the motor as a reason to throw away a great vehicle .

1261 - 1278 of 1278 Posts