Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Passion 5 speed manual
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to haul a 17' canoe on a Geo Metro; friends used to joke that I never took it off and just rolled it over and floated home with the car and canoe still connected.
My kayak is 14 feet long. Was a challenge to put up there and take down. I strapped it down through the doors, tied it front and back too. Pretty sketchy on the interstate but it worked. A Metro is huge compared to a Smart lol

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
358 Posts
These days, my inflatable kayak (Advanced Elements) fits in the trunk of the smart.
My daughter just bought a kayak that folds up, and one of their selling points was that it fits in the back of a smart car. She drives a Nissan Cube that I got her a couple years ago, so she has far more room than I do in my 453.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes. I get many stares and many fingers pointed at me. My kayak keeps my sanity though.
How far have you transported yours like that? I’ve done about 150 miles total, once. Need to build a ramp of sorts for mine as it’s over 100lbs, hard to handle putting on the roof alone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My haul is 130miles. It was a chore getting it up there unless I parked on completely flat ground, until I bought a gadget that helps. It suction cups to the back window and has rollers. All I have to do is lift the front up on it, grab the back end and push. MUCH easier!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My haul is 130miles. It was a chore getting it up there unless I parked on completely flat ground, until I bought a gadget that helps. It suction cups to the back window and has rollers. All I have to do is lift the front up on it, grab the back end and push. MUCH easier!
Where did you find this? That sounds exactly what I need. My only worry is the weight of my kayak vs the suction cups and window

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts