Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was wrong! I left with 51% and got to the dealer with 23% remaining thinking that it needed to be low....

After waiting 2 hours the car was done and they came and brought me the keys, i checked the app and it was at 18% :eek:

So i told them about the battery "needing to be low" for the check and they said that it isn't necessary at all.

Forgot who on here said that it had to be low but that was not the case! So then I had to wait another hour for it to charge up and it just barely gave me enough range to get back home! :badidea:

So for the 10k check leave on a 100% charge! And it costed $157.25

My result was "GOOD BATTERY"

Oh and the Mercedes B-Class Electric has the same noise maker as the Smart

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know for future.

Out of curiosity, what were the details on the $153.75 charge?

forgot to include the tax so total = $157.25

Windshield Washer Fluid - $3.75

Combination Filter - $33.50

Battery - $6.50

Sales Tax - $3.50

Labor - $110.00 :bullsht:

·
Registered
832 Posts
After waiting 2 hours the car was done and they came and brought me the keys, i checked the app and it was at 18%
That just means they didn't perform the battery test. The test involves discharging to < 40%, waiting a long time, recharging to >90% and again waiting a long time.

When they said the battery is good, that is just based on the built-in monitoring in the BMS, which is probably fine as long as you occasionally discharge and charge like described above.

Neither test is a capacity measurement, so it's still a bit uncertain how a potential failure to meet the BAP performance is determined.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I was told the Smart Electric (lease) didn't need to be serviced other than filters and fluids (obvious wear stuff like brakes/tires). I was under the impression that the $80/month covered the electric part, does the battery need to be checked every 10k miles and that's $116.50. I almost leased one today, kinda glad I have postponed it until I understand electric a bit more.

Battery - $6.50

Sales Tax - $3.50

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
. . . does the battery need to be checked every 10k miles and that's $116.50. I almost leased one today, kinda glad I have postponed it until I understand electric a bit more.
Yes, the lease REQUIRES that the battery pack have an annual "well baby check up" performed by an ED qualified smart Center.

This maintenance reminder is built into the speedo message center.

·
Registered
115 Posts
“Purchase, finance, or lease a smart electric drive and we’ll rent you the battery, guaranteeing its capacity level and covering your annual battery maintenance costs for 10 years. And if you need a replacement battery during your rental term, it’s on us. How’s that for peace of mind?” - Smart USA

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't know exactly what they did but on a full charge i have a 74 mile range showing

haven't had this in a while :shrug::)

That just means they didn't perform the battery test. The test involves discharging to < 40%, waiting a long time, recharging to >90% and again waiting a long time.

When they said the battery is good, that is just based on the built-in monitoring in the BMS, which is probably fine as long as you occasionally discharge and charge like described above.

Neither test is a capacity measurement, so it's still a bit uncertain how a potential failure to meet the BAP performance is determined.

Well they definitely didn't do that, otherwise I would have been there all day >:D

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts

Battery - $6.50
Sales Tax - $3.50
And as the above appears to be one hour of labor plus consumables, the Annual Battery Pack Maintenance was about as FREE as things get from a smart Center?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I just verified it with a Southern California Smart Center. They said the want the car overnight for the 1-year service, and would simulate a full discharge on the battery. Said that when I picked it up it would have a full charge on it.

They said they preferred that the battery have about 40% on it when the car is brought in.

To be safe, if you need the service I would call in ahead of time and ask...

Mine is due in a couple weeks, I'll report when I get it done.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Just did the first maintenance. Brought the car in yesterday with 50% on the battery, and picked it up today with 100% on the battery. They did the 1-year check, which included replacing the cabin filter ($33) and the fob battery ($5). My bill was right at $150, and the car was returned to me washed and vacuumed.

About what I expected from a Mercedes dealership, no complaints.

Update: After the yearly service, it appears my range has improved. Not sure if it just temporary or if the dealer was able to put more charge into the car than I can at home.

My uphill commute home normally takes exactly 50%, without the A/C running. After my 1st service, I had 57% left on the meter when I parked in my garage, and I ran the A/C the whole trip.

I hope this isn't just a one time thing!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts