Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hee Hee, litlsis...

:)
....because our Mini, Floyd, needs a little sister and I am just not that into childbirth?
...that's what I said too! Our MINI Cooper, "The Beast", needs another sibling. :p

...we have a PT Cruiser too...I guess we're just into chubby, ovoid cars. :p We first saw the Smart Car while on a vacation in Banff, Alberta, and we thought it was tres cute, easy to park, had good gas mileage, great maneuverability, and it was definitely NOT boring! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why I want to be Smart

I travel almost 80 miles - round trip for work, five days a week. I currently have an Elantra GT which I leave home for my wife. That leaves me with the 95 Miata or the 73 VW Beetle. I love both of these cars, but the Beetle has no AC and living in southern Florida,, rush hour traffic,,,, need I say more? The Miata is a fine car, but a bit small for me. I literally have to get in, but not all the way,,, then put on the seat belt,, slide the rest of the way in and try to close the door. I am not gigantic,, 5' 11" and 200 lb. Being a deputy, I wear a "utility" belt with all of my "tools". That makes the fit almost impossible. I will be getting rid of the Miata and the Bug to make way for the Smart. I will try one for size first, but believe that there will be no problems there. Then for the gas situation. It is only going to go up!! So all that said,, I am looking for a car I can fit into, will be dependable,, and will get the best possible gas mileage. As you can see by my other cars,, small doesn't bother me. The car seems well built,, with safety and economy in mind. Plus it offers that "quirkiness" that my 73 Beetle offers (which I will greatly miss). Hopefully the Smart will fill that void that will be there once the Beetle is gone. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Zacman, another Smart driving cop! (well I used to be a Smart driving cop, the Smart stayed the other did not)

There is plenty of space in a Smart for a guy your size.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The reason I was drawn to the smart:
1. Great car to pull behind motor coach (now I read that they can not be towed)
2. great gas milage (have not found anything to back this up yet, and now I am wondering about reports of so so MPG)
3. Value: New type of vehicle that will surly be in high demand so resale value will be excellent.
4. Will be sold through Chrysler dealerships so servicing will be a breeze (looks like the closest dealer to me will be 2 hours away so this is a big problem.)
5. Price under 12K great value

My expectations and excitment are begining to accept reality that maybe the only reason I would buy this vehicle would be based on its unusal design. But I have left my mind open to still be sold on this vehicle. Presently I drive a Geo tracker that gets 32MPG city hwy, Smart car impress me .......

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Actual Experience

Whatever anyone THINKS their reason is for buying a smart car, they will soon discover that it is the fun they'll get in driving it. We have now owned and driven our converted smart car for over 24,000 miles since April, 2006. There is no car in the world that attracts more attention to the drivers of these cars. An introvert will have a nervous breakdown in the first week. You really will drive more politely because you feel you know everyone on the road after a few days. Not since the fifties VW bugs has their been a car as unique as this in American culture. So, enjoy the mileage, enjoy the Mercedes safety and dependability, enjoy the parking advantages, but really prepare for the unbelievable and outrageous thrills of driving this car down the road. No words can describe it. Our customers tell us they thought the thrill would end after a few months, yet it continues now... even a year later.

Ron Gaus, aSmartCar.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
I want to buy a smart car because of it's efficiency. The price/mpg of the smart car is a better value than a hybrid. It's the high mpg at such a reasonable price that has turned me on to the smart car. That being said if the price of the first smart cars comes in significantly higher than the 12k posted on the website I may have to reconsider my decision.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't like commuting by myself 99% of the time and having bulk around me I don't use/need. I believe buying a lot of gas hurts us in so many ways, and have a gut feeling we don't need to burn any gas. The eye-catchiness is actually not a plus for me for I don't need/want to be noticed necessarily. I just bought a Yaris and love the space I didn't have before in my garage. Now if I can only get my wife to take over the Yaris payments while I get my Fortwo, I'll actually be able to access my garage's work bench again, and probably not get banged by my wife's car doors anymore! I do believe this is the car of the future and we'll be wondering 10 years from now what the big fuss was about.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm buying it (IF it can handle winters in Vermont!) for these reasons; It will be a head turner/conversation starter, It will save me money on gas, it will be my "work" car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
RGAUS, I have to say your post pumped me up even further AND made me laugh out loud-especially the line about introverts! Thanks for the boost!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Why do I want a smart?

Fun, fun, fun! My heart flips every time I see one (during European trips) and hopefully here soon.
The smart's happy smile when it sees you:).
People's openness to the smart. They are so unassuming, how could anyone not love them? They are certainly more respectful of our environment than all those SUVs.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
I have read and heard a lot of emotional reasons for plunking down the $99 and jumping up and down in anticipation. But in the end, I believe after some rational thought many will back out.

1. Some may have only a passing interest and/or do not miss the temporary loss of their returnable $99. They may begin requesting refunds early to beat a possible rush.

2. Some will realize that it is not suitable as an only car unless they are urban dwellers with an affordable place to garage it. Only marinas charge to dock by the foot.

3. Some will realize that it is not a good substitute for a second

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Why ...

As a follow up to the above, I chose to order a smart because it will fit our requirements, not a case of finding some rationale to justify the car. We have been living with a single vehicle for a while, but now think it is convenient to have a second. After analyzing our vehicular use we determined that the majority is around town with one or at most two people. We live in the old, small, tight City of Williamsburg, VA and have two parking spaces, one outside, and one single car garage. The Outback lives outside and the garage is the townhouse's only real workspace. The Outback will continue outside, and a smart will fit in the garage and still leave at least half of the space for other things. The smart will be a matter of usefulness not cuteness and “see-me.” All boiled down, it is size - the smart will work where alternatives won't.

The smart’s employment will be in and around the City and its environs. There is no place between Richmond and Hampton that we can’t easily get to without going onto the interstate. For long distances or in bad weather the Outback will serve, as will as the occasional trips to Home Depot, and the weekly commissary runs down to Fort Eustis.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's easy, my husband and I saw it in Europe and fell in love with it. When I found out it's an import for Mercedes that sold me, I'm a Benz driver now and am ready to turn in my C280 for something a bit more fun looking but really wasn't ready to give up the safety and realiability of my Benz. I only drive 1 mile to work so gas really isn't an issue. We also have an Explorer so we have a car with room when we need it. And besides - it's so cute!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I want a smart car because I love the size and looks - the gas mileage will just be another bonus. Envious of those who pre-ordered in March

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I luv the appearance...don't like boring/dull/ordinary cars.

Mileage should still be 40+ with 89 octane...which I use in my Neon R/T now.

Major fun factor.

Time for a new car anyway.

Dealer close by.

Built by Mercedes....known for quality as long as I can remember.

Maneuverability.

Plenty of mods and aftermarket stuff for upgrades and fun.

I'm single and rarely need much room in my car....but the folding passenger seat can accomodate most needs if necessary.....like my guitar and amp.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I guess it is the same reason I as able to bring in the first H2 to this rural county. Our Mini dealer is 212 miles away in Baton Rouge. Its just a part of the fun.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts