Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm having so much fun with my smart fortwo passion. I did a special breakin which requires to change from synthetic to regular oil and then change it again at 40 miles:

Break In Secrets**How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

In addition I changed both the transmission and engine oil at 700 miles. I'm adding some pics to show how much debris there is. I use Mobil1 75W90.

This is the trasmission oil at 700 miles:

This is the bottom of the pan with the bigger debris:

This is the engine oil change at 700 miles (now it looks as it should without any metal sparkles like it did after only 40 miles!)

The fuel average I got was:
1st tank: 28mpg in manual
2nd & 3rd: 33mpg in manual
4th (half tank) driven in auto: 36mpg

Now my smart is running with Mobil Clean5000 10w30 and at 2000 miles I'll move to Mobil1 0W40. This will allow the engine to breakin properly before changing to the extra slippery synthetic.

Hope this help
Crep

· Registered
106 Posts
Don't you guys think that if these early fluid changes were really required, the stealerships would jump on this and try to seperate even more hard earned cash from our wallets?
I don't know about you... but I figure that the TEAMS of engineers that design these cars must have some clue on what they're doing.
If you want these cars to last for 400,000 miles just buy a spare one for when the current one wears out. Hopefully when my engine craps out I'll be able to pop in a plug-and-play electric motor in the slot!
I've seen vehicles run 250,000 to 300,000 miles with original engines maintained on regular service intervals.;)

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In total I spent $60: $30 for 3 engine oil and oil filter changes + $30 transmission oil. Having seeing the debris inside both engine and transmission I think $60 is a very cheap insurance on my $16,500 passion. My 0.02.

· Registered
1,872 Posts
Quagmire...

Your thoughts on the engineering side would be corect...However they, unfortunately, usually do NOT write the maintenance schedules.. or any of the sales hype like "100,000 tune up" (Ford 6.8L V10 or 5.4L V8)

Marketing and sales along with a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty make them Mercedes Benz, exceptionally complacent and full of stuff...

If you choose to follow the book cool...

(humm ah er.. second thought...I suspect you paid out for the extended service contract?)

You might notice in your maintenance guide there never is a gear oil change in all 120,000 miles or 12 years of regular services...hummmm

Here is the real hint Quag...2 year 24,000 miles is all THEY care about

FWIIW...the motor design engineers are from Mitsubishi and I bet they had NO say in any TEAMs of engineers defining the smart maintenance schedules

· Registered
546 Posts
Quagmire...

Your thoughts on the engineering side would be corect...However they, unfortunately, usually do NOT write the maintenance schedules.. or any of the sales hype like "100,000 tune up" (Ford 6.8L V10 or 5.4L V8)

Marketing and sales along with a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty make them Mercedes Benz, exceptionally complacent and full of stuff...

If you choose to follow the book cool...

(humm ah er.. second thought...I suspect you paid out for the extended service contract?)

You might notice in your maintenance guide there never is a gear oil change in all 120,000 miles or 12 years of regular services...hummmm

Here is the real hint Quag...2 year 24,000 miles is all THEY care about

FWIIW...the motor design engineers are from Mitsubishi and I bet they had NO say in any TEAMs of engineers defining the smart maintenance schedules
That is an amazingly good point. :)

Has anyone tried to contact Mitsubishi to get their recommendations on the motor?
Or can we cheat and get the service intervals on one of their similar engines?
:confused:

BTW - I am driving a 96 Lincoln Towncar with 213,000 miles on it. I did not get a tune up until 198,000 miles. It ran that long on the original plugs. I also switched the engine to synthetics shortly after purchase. :rolleyes:

· Registered
234 Posts
There is an old saying.
"oil is cheap, parts ain't"
I will change the original oil on the new Fit I bought when it reaches 1000km.
And as I usually do, I will section the filter and have a peak at the particulate.
I think the Smart has a hard working engine that is out of the breeze so to say. I would change it early rather than later.

· Registered
1,872 Posts
Sylvan

No smilies or internet icons so I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or what...

Those of us who recommend changing the oil early are not suggesting the burning smell has anything to do with it...

That smell is just the machining oils and any painted surfaces close to real hot components cooking off... and it is normal

We are changing out the factory Oils early to get rid of internal engine and gear box machining debris, initial wear materiel, that causes contaminated lubricants.

· Registered
93 Posts
No, no sarcasm here. I've never bought a car this new.. Drove it off the lot with like 10 miles on it. Any other car I've ever owned has had at least a few hundred on it before I got to it, so there was no burning smell like this... It's just not familiar to me.

So.. ok then. Changing the oils won't stop the burning smell. Gotcha. But it's a good idea to do it, in some people's opinion, otherwise there wouldn't be this debate.

· Registered
1,872 Posts
Motor maintenance.... and specifically discussions like Ford vs Chevy or What Oil brand is best, are the most acrimonious subjects you can start on a car forum...

I am of the mind that preventative or prophylactic maintenance can extend the life of a machine

I spent my first career as a professional mechanic

I still build car and motorcycle racing motors, and I still rebuild automobile gas and diesel motors, differentials, and transmissions

It is my opinion that the lubricants used for the break in process, where wear materials and heat are highest, should be removed early in the life of the machine ( 500~1000 miles) and replaced with fresh oil/gear lube...then follow normal changes for life of vehicle

It is also my opinion that the smart oil change interval of 10,000 miles or 12 months is not a wise schedule.. I recommend every 6 months or 5000~7500 miles max

I agree that every 90 days or 3000 miles is too early unless the motor is used in an EXTREME environment like off road high RPM slow speed activities

· Registered
93 Posts
:) Man, you'd think, with my uncles and cousins being motocross nuts like they are (especially Uncle Donny! He used to ride for OSSA & Triumph, back in the day!), I should have heard or learned something about engine maintenance/performance over the years. Ah well. Never too late to learn something new, I guess. Thanks!

· Banned
3,861 Posts
After break-in, my own regimen will be to split out engine oil changes from the rest of the maintenance schedule. My use for the smart will be in-and-around town with numerous short trips and errands where the engine does not get hot and stay hot for long periods of time. That, among other uses, is classified as "severe service" as engine condensation will not be throughly burned off. Also, 12 months will come long before 10,000 miles. So, I'll tend to the oil and filter at 6-month intervals and leave the rest of the maintenance schedule as-is at 12 months, et seq.

One extra thing I'll plan to do at the first occasion that the engine is dropped for maintenance is to have the aluminum head torque checked and re-set. Aluminum heads have a nasty habit of loosening as the fasteners bed-into soft alloy. Sometimes the heads can weep until they come up to temperature.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.