Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did it today and it looks sooo much better. Had to clean a LOT of brake dust off of the front rims. This will preserve the hubcaps for when I turn my car in after 3 year lease.

Will post pics in a little bit if anyone wants to see what it looks like (I couldn't find many definitive threads/pics regarding a Smart sporting stock steel).

·
17,352 Posts
IMO, it looks better with the caps on! :D

Besides, it's a lease, unless you completely destroy the caps, any wear on them will be considered normal. :wink:

·
17,352 Posts
Can't argue with that. Guess it depends on your tastes then.

Personally, if I had steelies I'd put the thickest tyres I could find on them. That'll make it look menacing!

·
Super Moderator
11,222 Posts
They do make it a "completely different car" look. I take them off for the winter and when I put the summer tires on with the covers, people think I got a new car. I'd like to do the headlights but I just have not found the time yet.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Did you notice a mileage drop after you removed the hubcaps? I made some for mine and they increased the mileage by about 2%-4% over the factory alloys, it was worth it for me. Chumly

·
17,352 Posts
Did you notice a mileage drop after you removed the hubcaps? I made some for mine and they increased the mileage by about 2%-4% over the factory alloys, it was worth it for me. Chumly
Speaking of wheels. My car's had the easiest time returning good fuel economy rolling on super skinny, somewhat worn....snow tyres.

Right before I ditched the snow treads in late May of last year, I was able to maintain 75+ MPH while still returning at least 40 MPG. I always thought that running snow treads in warm weather increased rolling resistance! :confused:

The extra extra wide Kumhos I'm running now present a challenge. It's still very possible to get great MPG (my best ever MPG was while running on the Kumhos), just isn't as easy.

I also added Vortex Generators. They seem to be helping with crosswinds, but doing nothing for MPG.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I took mine off and added chrome trim rings...just hides the not as attractive outer ring of the steels. Tomorrow I'm getting new tires put on so I'm swapping out the OEM 15mm lug bolts for 17mm chrome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts