Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Smart Friends,
I was driving my 2009 Smart TwoFor Passion Cabriolet last Saturday evening across the county where I live. The Inflate Tire icon was on when I left home, so I stopped at the first convenience store/filling station on the road (a Mirabito operation) to use the air machine.

Unfortunately, like so many such Mirabito air machines here in central New York state, this air machine didn't inflate the low tire, Instead, it totally deflated the tire.
Now I had a flat.
Not just that. When I went to start the engine, it would not turn over.
The Smart was running perfectly when I pulled into the station. Now it wouldn't even start.

This happened once before, months ago. Fortunately, I was in my home driveway. I just let the Smart sit all night; then, the next day, it started right away. . . though I didn't know why it wouldn't start in the first place.

Thus stuck on Saturday evening, I called AAA road service, thinking maybe the battery was running low. The driver quickly filled the flat tire with his portable Bauer tire inflator and attached his charger cables to the battery. Everything was fine. Lights, etc bright as ever. However, the Smart would still not turn over.

AAA then towed the car to my mechanic's where it still sits. After attempting today, without success, to start the car, my mechanic is now doing an over-night total manufacturer's reset. We shall see if this is successful in the morning.

Meanwhile, can someone in the Smart-world give me some clues or ideas why or how this has occurred ?

Many Thanks,

John M

·
Registered
8,434 Posts
Loose battery terminal cables. Weak battery on it’s way out. Modern vehicle need a really strong battery to operate.
12.4 volts. The lights will light up, but the car won’t start.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Loose battery terminal cables. Weak battery on it’s way out. Modern vehicle need a really strong battery to operate.
Thanks very much!
Can you recommend the best battery for my vehicle? A link to order?

·
Registered
8,434 Posts
Thanks very much!
Can you recommend the best battery for my vehicle? A link to order?
When I bought a new battery. I bought it at the MB/smart dealership. Any good battery will do, as long as it’s a outside vented one. Duralast, interstate, etc.

Make sure it’s outside vented, if your driving a 451!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I bought a new battery. I bought it at the MB/smart dealership. Any good battery will do, as long as it’s a outside vented one. Duralast, interstate, etc.

Make sure it’s outside vented, if your driving a 451!
Smark, dear friend! My mechanic did a complete diagnostic reset and it turns out the problem with my Smart not running is the starter.

·
Registered
718 Posts
No problem. I’m in upstate NY and have a Mercedes Star Diagnostic. I was going to offer assistance in troubleshooting if you are not too far away.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No problem. I’m in upstate NY and have a Mercedes Star Diagnostic. I was going to offer assistance in troubleshooting if you are not too far away.
Thanks for the response. I'm in Ithaca. Where are you?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts