Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my "Passion" late June '08 after a 13 month wait. Before I go on: I have lots of experience with European cars (Mercedes/10yrs, Volvo/9yrs, MGA/4 yrs during college & 4 VW air cooled beetles). So I know the plusses & minuses of owning & servicing European cars. I live 50 miles from the Smart Car dealer in Jacksonville, Fl., so it's a 100 mile round trip. We (wife in separate car since they stopped the loaner program right after we bought our's) and I made 4 round trips (a total of 800 miles) to get radio, then rattling noise out of dash area. The sales staff couldn't have been nicer, the entire service dept couldn't have been more incompetent. In fact, on way home after the 4th visit my wife saw that look in my face "that Smart Car is history, isn't it"?. Yup, a couple of days later I traded "even steven" for an '09 Toyota sedan & I love it. It runs better, gets better mileage on regular gas & I can get friends or just "stuff" in back seat plus generous trunk. Plus, when service is required it's an 8 min drive & I already know they are reliable as I've bought 4 vehicles from local Toyota dealer before (for wife & kids). Sooooo, my advice is: (1) if you're going to buy a Smart Car, make sure you live real close to whatever dealer you're going to use, and (2) I would personally avoid buying in Jax until they get their service dept's act together. Respectfully, R :)

· Premium Member
10,362 Posts
I have had my Smart Fortwo since March of 2008 and have not experience any problems with mine. I guess I am blessed that way. I do not live close to any Smart Centers. The Smart Center I bought mine from is not close but I have yet to have a reason to visit them. I will get my tune up at the (about the) anniversary of my little car. :)

· Registered
805 Posts
Dunt Dunt Dunt
Another one bites the dust
Dunt Dunt Dunt
And another one gone, and another one gone

Good Luck With That Toyota......
I know the dealer made a good trade, why eles would he trade straight across?
Things That Make You Go Hmmmmmmmmmmm

· Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
5,935 Posts
Well, I can honestly say that in your situation you probably made the right choice. Hate to hear that you dumped your smart, but Toyota is a great brand. It is good to note that they traded it even. It may not be there next week...

· Registered
2,030 Posts
Sorry to hear about the trading of the Smart, but im sure that the Toyota suited your needs more anyway, and Toyota is a very reputable brand to start. I had had no major problems with Mr Blue since i got him, and i never even had a european car before, so this will be a really good experience for me. I am very fortunate to live close to two different Smart centers ( But prefer Tysons Corner thank you), so if i ever did need any warranty stuff, id know that they are near. The only problem i really have is keeping the heads from turning if you know what i mean.

· Super Moderator
18,149 Posts
I hope yoou enjoyed your non-driving-to-dealer part of owning a smart!
I hope you're happy with the Toyota, although I hate those FJ Cruisers. :)
Some cars don't fit some people and I can understand that. Have fun with the Toyota. Hope it doesn't give you any trouble.

2 questions:

Now what model of Toyota are you talking about "better mileage"? (other than prius)

Do you mean that the more expensive to fill Toyota tank has more range than a smart?

· Administrator
30,054 Posts
Ron, FWIW - in your situation and with that kind of service experience nobody can blame you (well, a few can :rolleyes:) Sorry the car didn't work out for you - each person's situation is unique and who are we to judge? You did well on the trade for the Toyota IMHO - used smarts are not selling now and trade values seem to be pretty low. Enjoy the new Toyota - I owned one for 15 years and they are great cars. :)

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I can honestly say that in your situation you probably made the right choice. Hate to hear that you dumped your smart, but Toyota is a great brand. It is good to note that they traded it even. It may not be there next week...
===========================================
response: It's been in the used car lot since 11/6. Uh, I was well aware that there was no back seat (that's in response to another poster). Maybe I just had a lemon, but the dealer should have been pro-active in replacing it. Heck, it made more noise that my old 40hp VW beetle.

· Super Moderator
18,149 Posts
Ron, FWIW - in your situation and with that kind of service experience nobody can blame you (well, a few can :rolleyes:) Sorry the car didn't work out for you - each person's situation is unique and who are we to judge? You did well on the trade for the Toyota IMHO - used smarts are not selling now and trade values seem to be pretty low. Enjoy the new Toyota - I owned one for 15 years and they are great cars. :)
Ok, maybe I was a little hard on him:eek:, but what I REALLY mean to say is that it's sad that the car didn't work out for you but you found something you like, so you're happy. (I still hate FJs:)) But as I reread your post I can get why you got rid of it.

I hope you like your new car for years to come and that the time spent not fixing your smart was well enjoyed.:)

I'm still glad you got what you wanted:)

· Registered
805 Posts
I think he traded for a Toyota Whamobile. Boo Hoo, Oh I got rid of my Smart Car cause it was too D^mn Small. What the heck did you think it was when you bought it a Dodge Wagon? and you come here to complain about it, Her some advice, go join the toyota chat room they will love your story but here @ SMOA We love our Smart Cars.

IBSMART
Las Vegas

· Registered
206 Posts
I'm glad people post the negative experiences as well - it gives a more rounded view of the car to people looking to buy. We're not Smart propagandists, after all.

I'm on several car forums and what I've discovered is that most of the people that respond when you ask about Smarts have little or no direct experience. I asked on another forum last month and got 50 responses almost all of them warning against the Smart. I asked how many respondents owned, or had at least driven, a Smart - turned out only 4 had, and 2 of them had simply had brief test drives.

· Registered
9 Posts
I wonder if he test drove it before he bought it.....I know i did and noticed that this isnt your typical everyday car....I think some people are buying this for the wrong reasons and expecting it to perform like you rtypical sedan. I agree no one should come in here and complain about a car that is so radically different then any other car in america....This is just a fun car to drive....back to basics....enjoy it for its engineering, its looks and its basic functionality...to get you from point A to B

· Registered
4 Posts
What I got out of his letter was a hit against the Jacksonville Smart service department. I don't think he said he didn't like his Smart. I hope someone at the Jacksonville dealer takes note of how important good reliable service is. I've had two VW diesel bug's. Traded the first on the second when service depts at two different dealers couldn't fix it. I then dumped the second one after a grand of repairs didn't fix an engine warning light. Diesel bugs are great hi-mileage cars, but service at S. Fla dealers sucks. So, until VW pushes the dealers to fix the fit-it-up departments, I’ll be Smart and drive one.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.