Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Smart Fortwo BoConcept
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Backstory...:) Almost 15 years ago I was in Toronto Canada. There were these small (adorkable) little cars parked everywhere. When I drove past the Mercedes dealer, the memory I have is thinking there were these cars in this massive Pez dispenser. I told everyone then, I would have one of these "smart cars" someday. I fell in love with the BoConcept on site. I wasn't in a position to purchase one at the time, so back burner.

I didn't plan on buying a car. I'm busy restoring/rebuilding my 96' S-10. I was in the habit of every so often, checking for smarts for sale. Up pops this single, grainy picture of this car the dealer has listed "just in". Mind you this is a Friday night. I'm a truckdriver. I work long hours so 11pm this night I start stalking the parking lot of the dealer trying to find this car. I was almost sure it was a Bo but I didn't know. This car is nowhere to be found. Dealer opens at 9am. One owner, 48.5k miles. Guess who was at the dealer first thing.....me. LOL

The car was in the shop, just taken in on trade. Salesman greets me and asks what I would like. So I tell him and he looks at me like I had three heads. I told him it'll be the smallest car on the lot. It's a 2014 Smart Car BoConcept, white with yellow mirrors and brown leather interior. He found it and I took it for a spin and then to an open parking lot and proceeded to do a thorough pretrip on her. Long story short(er).....I told them I was buying it. Talked price, they agreed to fix what it needed i.e. brakes, oil change, etc. Paid for the car, left it at the dealer to be fixed and now she's mine.

It's kicks really, I'm almost 6'1" barefoot and I had to figure out the best way to get in and out of her but all the guys I work with tease me because they say it fits my personality to a capitol T.

Look forward to sharing my upgrades and such!! I've already picked out my plates. WHEEEEE was taken before I could get it.

I love my car, really do. Everytime I go to drive her, I can't help but grin like a fool.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My story about Smart cars was when I was on a motoring holiday travelling throughout Europe in 2003 and first saw 450's being delivered on a car transporter, and thought they were fantastic little cars. So when I got back to the UK I bought one right away and have owned Smarts ever since, 450, 451, roadster, and now have a 453. So that's a lot of years being loyal to the brand :D

451's on car transporter....

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
I saw my first 450 smart cars, in Chicago. Windy City motors, were Federalizing and selling them here. Out rages selling prices. They were all Cabrio’s. I would photoshop photo’s of smart cars, parked in my garage. You could buy the 450’s in Canada.

·
Super Moderator
1,683 Posts
Saw my first ones and took a test drive at a Mercedes Club meeting 2003 or so. Then I saw this at the Mercedes factory in Germany in 2004 and wanted one.

Len

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Smart Fortwo BoConcept
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes! That's just like the pez dispenser I saw in Toronto! Ty for sharing the pic!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Saw my first ones and took a test drive at a Mercedes Club meeting 2003 or so. Then I saw this {smart roadster} at the Mercedes factory in Germany in 2004 and wanted one. Len
Roadster was not available in the USA. I had the smart roadster for 2 years from new, as that was the length of warranty here in the UK at the time, It was a great drivers car, quite powerful for a Smart, but the downside common problem of the roadster was rain water leaks, mine leaked from everywhere due to poor seals and front bulkhead leaks and had to sell it at end of warranty due to damp. Pity, as it was a lovely looking car, I even bought the optional 3 spoke alloys for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts