Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago, I got a flat tire on my 2011 SmartCar when I was on the way to the swimming pool. I pulled over and spied a Car2Go across the street. When they first came to Seattle, they offered free memberships and I signed up. So I figured I'd give it a try to get to swimming and worry about the flat tire later.

I've been driving my SmartCar since I bought it new off the lot in August of 2011. It's always driven the same way with the same feel and really I have had no complaints at all. I love it, in fact.

But, that Car2Go was AMAZING! It was so responsive. So snappy. I had not even considered my car sluggish until I got behind that Car2Go wheel and saw what it could do.

Later in the day, while getting my tire fixed, I grilled the Mercedes mechanic manager. He looked up the specks on the Car2Go (they also service those, of course) and the specs on mine and declared that for all intents and purposes, the engine and transmission were the same on both.

So what's making the difference?

·
17,349 Posts
Did the Car2Go model have less miles?

Maybe it has a Sprint Booster, GO Pedal, or Area 451 Pedal Remapper.

·
Registered
536 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, I got a flat tire on my 2011 SmartCar when I was on the way to the swimming pool. I pulled over and spied a Car2Go across the street. When they first came to Seattle, they offered free memberships and I signed up. So I figured I'd give it a try to get to swimming and worry about the flat tire later.

I've been driving my SmartCar since I bought it new off the lot in August of 2011. It's always driven the same way with the same feel and really I have had no complaints at all. I love it, in fact.

But, that Car2Go was AMAZING! It was so responsive. So snappy. I had not even considered my car sluggish until I got behind that Car2Go wheel and saw what it could do.

Later in the day, while getting my tire fixed, I grilled the Mercedes mechanic manager. He looked up the specks on the Car2Go (they also service those, of course) and the specs on mine and declared that for all intents and purposes, the engine and transmission were the same on both.

So what's making the difference?
Was that service manager not aware that the Car2Go Are Electric Drives, so no they dont have the same engine or transmission...

·
17,349 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NOT electric - Car2Go in Seattle is all gas.

I don't remember the number of miles on the Car2Go but my car rolls today just like it did the day it had 2 miles on it.

I have no clue what "Sprint Booster, GO Pedal, or Area 451 Pedal Remapper" are but the mechanic - the one who worked on mine and on Car2Go's says there is no reason why they should perform any differently from one another.

Perhaps next time it's due for service, I'll get them to drive it and then drive a Car2Go and see if they can tell me what's causing the difference.

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Depends on the market and location. Some are gas, some are electric. We'll be having Car2Go in L.A. sometime soon, and they will be gasoline powered.

To answer the OP's question, that's the nature of cars and engines. Drive 20 Honda Civic's and some will be peppier than others. I know my 210,000 mile Pure coupe would walk away from my 10,000 smart BRABUS coupe in a drag race, uphill, just about everything was faster with the exception of cornering due to the BRABUS' superior suspension.

If the OP's car is running sluggishly, try changing fuel brands and use the highest octane fuel you can use if you are not using it.

·
17,349 Posts
Car2Go only has EDs in select markets...Mainly markets that are EV friendly and have at least some infrastructure for charging stations...

·
17,349 Posts
If the OP's car is running sluggishly, try changing fuel brands and use the highest octane fuel you can use if you are not using it.
Ditto. I'd also avoid visiting stations next to bodies of water, extremely low traffic stations, stations currently being filled by tankers, and run-down stations.

Contaminated fuel can sometimes greatly affect running performance.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
San Diego has sunshine, Seattle does not. So, electric vehicles are more acceptable where solar power is also available. Maybe that is it.
Here at Lake Chapala, we may have the highest rate of solar power and solar hot water installations anywhere. My age and our very low use of electricity make the photovoltaic option impractical for us, but our solar hot water heater and storage system is marvelous. It paid for itself in about two years and we hardly ever have to use the LPG water heater any more, as it is very rare to go more than a couple days without sunshine.

·
17,349 Posts
Yup, and I bet Seattle gets a bit of rain and clouds too, like Chicago.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Maybe it has a Sprint Booster, GO Pedal, or Area 451 Pedal Remapper.
Maybe tranny software differences as mentioned by kheran?

Highly unlikely that M-B would add the expense and/or liability of non-OEM parts that could potentially impact the reliability of their rental fleet. :nono:

·
17,349 Posts
IIRC - The 2011s and 2013s (Seattle's Car2Gos should be 2013s) should have the same transmission programming.

I'm thinking it's maybe perhaps that the Car2Go car is just newer with less wear and tear.

·
Registered
511 Posts
"No reason they should drive differently or respond differently"
Ahhh...Correct me if I'm wrong here, but car #232 out of the assembly line may be very different in response, performance, ect. from car #233.
If one is way enough different it's called a lemon.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
The transmissions are also adaptive to its drivers. It is quite possible (and very likely) that the Car2Go vehicle is driven faster and harder by its renters and therefore when you get into the car it is reacting to give more throttle response for its impatient drivers.

The OP might baby her car all the time, and therefore the trans has trained itself to aim for smoothness and economy over quick shifts and rapid response times.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
The transmissions are also adaptive to its drivers. It is quite possible (and very likely) that the Car2Go vehicle is driven faster and harder by its renters and therefore when you get into the car it is reacting to give more throttle response for its impatient drivers.

The OP might baby her car all the time, and therefore the trans has trained itself to aim for smoothness and economy over quick shifts and rapid response times.
OMG. This rears it's head again, LOL. Old topic. Jury has voted. They're not adaptive. They don't learn.

But, I agree with JackieOwner, in that different cars just are different. For example, I am convinced that some cars (same make/model/year) do get different fuel economy under the same conditions.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts