Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
GA dead?

I happened to notice that only 8 Smarts are going to the Tail of the Dragon on the 26th and 27th. We have at least 15 from Florida. Florida is definitely a lot farther. Why such a low number from GA? We are driving up 75 through GA. Why don't you pull in line with us and make a larger caravan?:cool:

·
Smartmadness.com
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I happened to notice that only 8 Smarts are going to the Tail of the Dragon on the 26th and 27th. We have at least 15 from Florida. Florida is definitely a lot farther. Why such a low number from GA? We are driving up 75 through GA. Why don't you pull in line with us and make a larger caravan?:cool:
I wish I knew why too... But its ok I know there are some Georgian Smart owners who are very enthused about smarts and events.
*God willing I will be moving to Tampa, Florida 2010 if not California

·
Registered
673 Posts
I wont be in the caravan but I am going to the outSMARTing the dragon event. My girflriend is playing a show on the 25th so I will be driving up after that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Absolutely disappointing turnout from Georgia at the dragon event. The canucks almost had us outnumbered. Even earlier in the year the microcar show IN GEORGIA, had very few smart owners in the state show up. What does that say about us?

I don't even see any real organization happening here. Several other chapters are already taking part in planning the nationals. I can't even begin to tell you if there is any leadership for our chapter.

·
Smartmadness.com
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I vote for Bill with the Silver Smart or Brian with the GNK smart to lead the Ga chapter.
If I had the time I would be happy to step up however my plate is full.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I vote for Bill with the Silver Smart or Brian with the GNK smart to lead the Ga chapter.
If I had the time I would be happy to step up however my plate is full.
Ditto. I live too far north (almost in TN) to make it to every meet or event that will happen. Not that I don't plan to attend a good majority of them though. :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
Warning - this is a bit long. If you don't have time / want to read it, here are the key points:

• how often does the Warner Robins group meet? If monthly maybe we could alternate between meeting in WR and the Atlanta area?
  • PNW (Pacific NorthWest) Chapter and COSMOS (COlorado SMart OwnerS) are great examples. It started small, but was consistent in meeting and it grew organically
  • building a relationship with Smart people at Smart Center Buckhead - they can help get the word out about events as well
  • will take constant "campaigning" to make sure all Smarts are aware there is a club. I'll ask the local Mini group for pointers.
  • anyone interested, make sure you're vocal on both SCoA and Smart USA Insider. Dealerships use USA Insider almost exclusively it seems.
  • my contact info is email: briandewitt at gmail dot com phone: 314.226.1723
Now for the long part:

davidowen, how often are your meets/dining events in Warner Robins? It being 2 hours away from Atlanta, I figure that the Atlanta area smarts could head that way once a month or so. Or maybe we could alternate between the Atlanta area and Warner Robins? Of course we could every once in a while meet up elsewhere in Georgia for a themed/special drive (i.e., drive to see the leaves changing colors, historic Savannah run, etc). That type of event would be less frequent but would certainly be nice to do.

When I lived in Boulder, the COSMOS group would meet near the Smart Center once every month or so. Members/attendees came from all over Colorado. Not everyone could make it everytime, but more and more people started to attend. I believe their main form of organizing was smart USA insider. The fact is that they just started having the events with consistency (like it sounds the Warner Robins group does) and kept at it.

Speaking with the people at the Smart Center in Buckhead, there seem to be a lot of owners that are very enthusiastic about their cars. Atlanta area being so big (in terms of geographic area consumed by the city proper and all of its surrounding 'burbs) it might be an issue of constant "campaigning" to make people aware. BUT the Smart Center would prove to be helpful. I'm building a report with the sales people and parts people (Alonzo and Paco are excellent there as is Mike the services guy and Sean [or is it Shawn], one of the salesmen). Maybe I can put it in their heads to mention to people when they come in for service, to chat, order parts, etc., to mention this or USA Insider (ideally both) to them.

Now my point regarding fragmentation. There are essentially two places that enthusiast discussions are happening: here on this forum and at Smart USA Insider. Now this creates a bit of an issue for some as there are only so many hours in the day. And the two sites are different but similar. SCoA is a forum first with a gallery feature. USA Insider is more of a social network feel. Lots of similarities on both sites but different presentation. With these similarities, I am certain that many people think "well I already do all of that at x so why should I do the same things a second time at y?"

Having said that, it will just take a little effort for GA Smarts that are on both SCoA and USA Insider to make sure they - when possible and when it makes sense - post to both. Example, I'm trying to make sure I upload all of my photos and video (or at least links to them) on both SCoA and Smart USA Insider.

·
Smartmadness.com
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks Brian for the insight yea both forums are great for getting the word out. I can attend almost any meet we plan on a fri sat or sun

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've never made a WR meet as it's nearly 175 miles for me to drive down there. I do make Atlanta events from time to time though.

I wouldn't mind getting something started in the northwest GA / Chattanooga, TN area. I see plenty of smarties up here, just need to recruit them. Then maybe we could get the northern part of the state and some TN smarties to come down from time to time.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Puppeto thats a great idea. Of course having meets as close to where one lives is ideal. I think its just going to take someone recruiting (as you said) and setting up the event each month, letting the nearest Smart Center know, posting here and at Smart USA Insider, etc. It will take a while but it will happen. :)

Also, not every owner that wants to go to these gatherings needs to attend every meeting. Stuff happens, life comes up and there are other things besides the Smart..... Well for some of us at least :p

·
Smartmadness.com
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Puppeto thats a great idea. Of course having meets as close to where one lives is ideal. I think its just going to take someone recruiting (as you said) and setting up the event each month, letting the nearest Smart Center know, posting here and at Smart USA Insider, etc. It will take a while but it will happen. :)

Also, not every owner that wants to go to these gatherings needs to attend every meeting. Stuff happens, life comes up and there are other things besides the Smart..... Well for some of us at least :p
Im right behind whatever positive idea you got Brian.

·
Banned
319 Posts
Put a fork in the GA chapter it's done!

I'm disappointed really; I'd have thought GA would be more active than MI because the weather was nicer but that doesn't seem to be the case!

I've seen a few Smarts on the roads here in GA and I've gotten one wave/light flash and couple of fingers! It would seem that GA isn't as friendly as I was led to believe when I transferred here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How hard can it be to organize a meet, or a run through Atlanta. Might help to "enlighten" some folks.

Too bad smart Buckhead doesn't get involved. Be a great promotion for sales to have a gathering of happy smart owners!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts