Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Water Cloud Liquid Sky Automotive lighting

Water Atmosphere Liquid Sky Automotive lighting

High beams look fine as seen in the picture. But low beam right side looks unfocused. 2010 Smart Fortwo coupe. I felt inside the socket with my finger and feels like there isn’t a particular orientation for the bulb to seat in the socket. The clamp holds it firmly and feels like it’s aligned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, there is a slot in the bulb housing for the tab on the bulb. Slot is at about the 4 o'clock position. Don't think that bulb is correctly mounted. :)
Damn, that thing must be hard to detect cause i couldn’t feel anything. 4 o’clock facing the vehicle or 4 o’clock as if you were sitting in the passenger seat?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, there is a slot in the bulb housing for the tab on the bulb. Slot is at about the 4 o'clock position. Don't think that bulb is correctly mounted. :)
So I just found the slot and seated it but no change in the light pattern. Wondering if maybe the reflector is tarnished or something?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
…without the plug insert bulb and turn it…the bulb will “latch” when in the slot/key way…

jetfuel….plug back!
Does it snap in once you get it in the slot? I found the slot, reset the clamp and plugged in and still the same thing. Wondering if maybe the inside of the reflector is corroded or something?

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
No …the bulb seat totally flush within the housing…no locking feature…if you let it go it will find his way to a place where it will never be found…the retaining clip will roll/slide over it with no extreme force to hold it in place..
… you’ll get it right …

jetfuel…btdtft

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welp, I figured it out. I cranked my neck to see the actual socket and realized one of the three wires going to the plug was wrapped over the alignment slit so it was getting under the bulb’s seat causing it to sit slightly canted. Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Nice thing about the 451 is both high and lo beams are the same bulb... So if you grenade the lo one just swap out with high beam to a replacement is purchased. I made the mistake of leaving really expensive Sylvannias in a trade-in... ....don't flashy thing me J!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I also forgot that the 451 are quite adjustable. MB did a "recall" so the 453 couldn't. But I like spotlighting the Owls... ...Sylvania ZXE in both spots.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No …the bulb seat totally flush within the housing…no locking feature…if you let it go it will find his way to a place where it will never be found…the retaining clip will roll/slide over it with no extreme force to hold it in place..
… you’ll get it right …

jetfuel…btdtft
Jetfuel, after losing one of the spring clips that lock the bulb in place, I now tie a piece of dental floss to the clip and secured to something under the hood. It has saved me a couple of times.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
CW…I know the technique…
… an adjustment to control lever potentiometer in one particular gravity defying machine clearly states to secure the wrench to your pinky via small string…

Jetfuel…is in the manual..

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
My high beams are pretty damn high. Is there a screw to adjust the angle on them?
Yep, I posted about years ago for one of our late members T Robinson actually I posted a video from YouTube about the high beams adjustments.
I can't find it on this site anymore. Check YouTube.
Seems when they updated this site years ago I lost probably about 60 pictures and a lot of postings. That was back when we were limited on the number of pictures we could have

·
Registered
32 Posts
View attachment 70456
View attachment 70457
High beams look fine as seen in the picture. But low beam right side looks unfocused. 2010 Smart Fortwo coupe. I felt inside the socket with my finger and feels like there isn’t a particular orientation for the bulb to seat in the socket. The clamp holds it firmly and feels like it’s aligned.
This happened to my 2013 451 and it was the light housing itself. A plastic tab that kept it in place broke and the light was pointed in an odd direction. My fix was to tape it back into position and affix the tape to the side of the headlight. Took some noodling.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts