Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,067 Posts
I'll jump in this one with you Steve. When I started researching online about "Smart Cars" I was totally confused at first with the terms prime,pulse,pure,passion,Brabus,cabrio etc,.... They all looked basically the same with only little differences to them depending on the year and the country. As it all settled, my main interest was between a pure and a passion. I think most passions say passion on an emblem by the outside door mirror. But I guess the only way to truly tell the difference between a 451 passion and a 451 pure is the pure has a 2 spoke steering wheel and the passion has a 3 spoke one. But I guess you can buy a pure and add options to make it a passion "almost", but is it truly a passion? Does the VIN denote whether a vehicle is pure or passion? To the untrained eye they just look like a "Smart Car". You can spot that smile a mile away. But I think the proper place for a "fortwo" emblem is on the glovebox lid or somewhere there on the dash around it.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Canadian Passions have a steering wheel that I guess could be considered two spokes and a bottom hub, although I would be inclined to say three spokes with the bottom one being bigger. I have cruise control and no re-gen paddles. Model year 2016 ED

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,067 Posts
In comparing the steering wheels, here's what I was able to find a few months back. Here's the steering wheel of a 450 and I presume they were all the same for the 450, but I could be wrong.

Then in our 451's I thought the following. This is a 451 with the pure base trim package steering wheel which is 2 spoke.

Then there's the passion trim and Brabus with or without paddle shifters and I call this the 3 spoke wheel.

And I'm not sure of the ED. One year of it is still the 451 body style while the gas powered one is the new 453.

But even more confusing for me was the fact that I thought all 450's had the triple tailights.

And all the 451's had the double taillight. Here's the rear of my 451 Smart. Even though they are double lights on the outside, the socket assembly that holds the bulbs on the inside is actually from the 450 because there are 3 sockets on them (and the middle one isn't used) except maybe on European models with the rear fog light maybe?

But that isn't a hard fast rule either because a month or two back ALSRAC posted on the forum a pics of his 450, 451, and 453. Now you'll note that the 450 in this group is red.

Now notice the picture of the back of these cars that the ALSRAC posted, the red 450 certainly has newer style of double tailight as opposed to the triple ones that I thought all 450's had.

I guess either I am confused on my facts or there just aren't many hard and fast rules for the trim packages in general depending on the year and the country. It's confusing sometimes to sort it all out, but it's something I want to learn about.
Thanks to ALSRAC for posting the pics of his cars for comparison.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The 450 has 2 and 3 spoke steering wheels. The 450 cabrio lights are different from the triple lights of the coupe but are not the same as the 451. Google has lots of photos of the different gens, models and trims.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The VINs are identical for all versions in North America. There are no engine differences which is the only thing that would alter the VIN (and the models in Europe do have different engine versions).
But the VIN will still generally say which trim level your car is. Even on my 2009 ForTwo Brabus Coupe, when they ran the VIN, it came up as a Brabus.

And it's kinda funny looking at the headlight/taillight housing differences between the generations.

450 - generally had 2 headlight bulbs w/ separate turn signal, 3 tail light housings
451 - 3 bulbs in the main housing including turn signal, 2 tail light housings
453 - 1 headlight with separate turn signal, 1 tail light housing

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,067 Posts
Yes Elemental Dragon I haven't even considered the headlights yet. I know from pics that there is a difference on the headlights. I think 450's had 2 versions of headlights and the 451 had one type of configuration, but there's a difference between Brabus and the regular 451.
The early Smart as in 1998 had singular looking headlights that looked like this:

Then later 450's had headlights that looked doubled up.They looked like this:

Then the 451's we all know so well has headlights that look like this in the good old USA.

The 451 North American spec Brabus has the same headlights as the Pure/Passion. In Europe and Asia, the Brabus has the dark colored headlights. (Thanks 1983JZR3W)

Then the 453 came along with a different style of headlight with separate DRL's:

If I got any of this wrong then I stand to be corrected and we can make corrections to this post, just let me know the errors and I will gladly correct them with the right info.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
But the VIN will still generally say which trim level your car is. Even on my 2009 ForTwo Brabus Coupe, when they ran the VIN, it came up as a Brabus.
That is because whatever system they were using was adding data based upon production records linked to the VIN.

Here is what the characters in a 451 VIN represent:

Digits 1, 2, 3: WME - world manufacturer code
Digit 4: E - 451
Digit 5: J or K - coupe or cabriolet code respectively
Digits 6, 7: engine code
Digit 8: safety restraint system code
Digit 9: checksum
Digit 10: model year code
Digit 11: manufacturing plant code
Digits 12-17: serial number

Trim levels do not figure in this list, as you can see. When you check a VIN online, there is a profound database behind it that links to particular cars. But the VIN itself tells us nothing about trim level.

In Europe the BRABUS has a different engine than all other trim levels so the European BRABUS does have a distinct VIN that does not require a database to verify.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Remember; Annette Winkler shared love with Saturn loyalists before heading to Smart.
And where is Saturn these days???????
Seems more like a knock against Smart if anything. I fail to see the point of how Saturn's success (and GM's mismanagement ruining it) correlates to not name-badging their early cars; the discussion at hand.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts