Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,774 Posts
Corvettes have no Chevrolet badging of any kind. On our C5, the only mention of Chevrolet is when the instrument panel powers up and "Corvette by Chevrolet" briefly flashes by in the LED display. :)

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
My old Corvette, had stingray emblem on the side. Corvette placed between the taillights. Cross flags on the nose.

·
Registered
291 Posts
What other current production car doesn't wear its own model name, as the Fortwo doesn't?

Not really a fair answer I realize... But, every car I have owned in the last three decades I have de-tagged all model names and descriptions on the sheet metal.

The only thing I have left is the brand insignia on the front grill and/or rear of car.

My 1st thought is who cares?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Seems more like a knock against Smart if anything. I fail to see the point of how Saturn's success (and GM's mismanagement ruining it) correlates to not name-badging their early cars; the discussion at hand.
Not a knock at Saturn. I loved Saturns. We almost bought the sedan back when but that beacme a Honda instead.It's more a knock on the people who ran it. Remember Jill (whats her name)(ex of Saturn) and the promises that were made for smart by her and her regime?
I fear that Dr Winkler may go down the same road....Promise the world a whole lot of goodness and deliver just a little of it..

·
Registered
456 Posts
Even though they are double lights on the outside, the socket assembly that holds the bulbs on the inside is actually from the 450 because there are 3 sockets on them (and the middle one isn't used) except maybe on European models with the rear fog light maybe?
Thanks for solving that mystery for me! I just noticed the empty socket in the taillight assembly of my 2015 ED (451) and I was wondering if that was for the 450 or perhaps the European version.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Seems more like a knock against Smart if anything. I fail to see the point of how Saturn's success (and GM's mismanagement ruining it) correlates to not name-badging their early cars; the discussion at hand.
Not a knock at Saturn. I loved Saturns. We almost bought the sedan back when but that beacme a Honda instead.It's more a knock on the people who ran it. Remember Jill (whats her name)(ex of Saturn) and the promises that were made for smart by her and her regime?
I fear that Dr Winkler may go down the same road....Promise the world a whole lot of goodness and deliver just a little of it..
Boom, bingo, bongo! I completely agree and may have misunderstood the original comment. I remember fondly the Saturn Flextreme concept, which were enjoying as the Volt today. Another classic; the Saturn Sky, more popular in Pontiac guise, both ruined in the bailout.

I'm with you; frankly tired of being told things will happen, or happen a certain way, and then not happen at all. Hoping the good Doctor doesn't do things the way they pushed Dr. Z around Chrysler. At least we're told Smart models are European-only and they stick to it :p Still crossing my fingers for a ForFour or some varient here.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
But that isn't a hard fast rule either because a month or two back ALSRAC posted on the forum a pics of his 450, 451, and 453. Now you'll note that the 450 in this group is red.

Now notice the picture of the back of these cars that the ALSRAC posted, the red 450 certainly has newer style of double tailight as opposed to the triple ones that I thought all 450's had.
Sorry for the late reply, as Huroland said tail lights are different in the coupe and cabrio 450s. Here is a picture I took in November in Mexico with both models:

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,067 Posts
Thank you Alsrac for the reply. I have pulled my hair out trying to figure the differences in the taillights and you solved it for me with your reply. The difference is in Cabrio and Coupe ! I finally get it. And thank you for posting your original pic of all 3 of your Smarts together side by side. I re posted them here because those pictures are destined to become classics because it allows us to compare the differences between the 3 models side by side. Thank you for sharing them with the rest of us and allowing me to re-post them on the forum. DreamCarOwner.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Why no "fortwo" badge anywhere??

Love this. My mom was crazy about my first smart, but never got to see my next one (TW). Her name was Lou, so I was thinking of ordering a personal plate that says FORLOU. It would've made more sense if smart had put the "fortwo" badge on the car – that's the underlying reason why I started this thread.

·
17,384 Posts
I can think of surprising number of cars that don't have model badges. Both Japanese and German automakers alike often sell cars without badges.

Many Japanese Kei cars lack badging.

All Minis up to the latest generation never had any model badging, just trim level. So you could have a Clubman or a first gen Countryman, but the rear end only said "Cooper", or "Cooper S", or "John Cooper Works".

Porsche also offers a badge delete as a factory option. In Europe, Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz all offer badge deletes.

The Alfa Romeo 4C doesn’t have any model name badging. I don't think the 8C did either.

Also, Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Bentley, and Lamborghini hardly ever use model badging.

The current generation Viper doesn’t have model badging either, just a Viper logo on the rear and front. And from GM, I know that the latest generation Camaro also drops model badging :)

Idk, it just seems like putting model badging on cars is more of an American thing than anything. :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
The fortwo is the only smart model sold in Canada so I really don't see the need for model branding. Everyone calls them smart cars around here.

I've never referred to it as a fortwo, and probably never will.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,067 Posts
Sometimes mine is only a "Forone"! >:D
That's what it is Oliver. If you had a "fortwo" badge on your 453, you'd have to change the badge to a "forone" if you were driving by yourself. If you took the wife somewhere you'd have to get out and change the badge back to a "fortwo" just to be accurate and not be guilty of false advertising. Now changing badges might be easy if the Smart were made of metal. Then you could just have metal badges and change them accordingly. But with an all plastic Smart what are you gonna do?? DreamCareOwner (just down the Ohio from you).

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,067 Posts
Love this. My mom was crazy about my first smart, but never got to see my next one (TW). Her name was Lou, so I was thinking of ordering a personal plate that says FORLOU. It would've made more sense if smart had put the "fortwo" badge on the car – that's the underlying reason why I started this thread.
When I first mentioned and showed a 2008 Smart to my mom she said "What do you want with a little snuff box like that? It's just too small to be safe in an accident". Mom and Dad both believed if you wanted to be safe you had to drive a BIG car. Mom couldn't tell a Pontiac from a Rolls Royce, but it seemed every car she ever liked and ever bought was a big full size Ford. Everyone on Mom's side of the family drove Fords and everyone on Dad's side drove Chevy's. I dabbled in both growing up. But I've set and thought about it and I'm the first one in the family to ever have a foreign made car, and I chose Smart. Mom would probably turn over in her grave if she knew I was driving a "snuff box" lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If it's a fortwo, then why doesn't the fortwo wear a fortwo badge? It's hard to think of another car that doesn't have the model name on it.

It's weird that smart promotes the "fortwo" name in every form of advertising, but then omits the most obvious point of connection.

If somebody saw my my car, they'd say I drove a smart Prime. :confused:
Why not customize it to your liking? Make up your own 3-D artsy to your liking, (should be able to even make it metallic/reflective appearing/color) take it to a transparency trim shop & apply it the way you want it displayed?

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,067 Posts
Why not customize it to your liking? Make up your own 3-D artsy to your liking, (should be able to even make it metallic/reflective appearing/color) take it to a transparency trim shop & apply it the way you want it displayed?
I think that's a good idea Emmasdad. I don't know why there isn't more stuff along those lines on Ebay. Sometimes someone from China has something along those lines. I did dabble in it a little, not a "fortwo" decal, but Max reminded me of the hot wheels cars I had when I was a child, so I did this:

( I took this pic before I changed out the roof for a panoramic one and if you look close you'll notice the seats are missing too. That was the very day I lit up my air bag light, as I installed heated seat pads).
It was hard to find something that wasn't too large for the smaller proportions of the car. Most normal size decals looks too big for a Smart. But I guess with all the wraps and decals available there's no reason to drive a plain Jane boring car unless that's what you want. I guess if we wanted a plain Jane boring car we wouldn't have bought a Smart to begin with. I'm like OliverB, I don't want to drive an everyday average car that everyone else has. The wife has a gray Kia Forte and to me it looks like alot of the cars on the road today. When we drive it I have to make a special effort to remember where we parked it in the parking lot because it blends in so well I can't find it. But then I guess I can lose Max in a large parking lot too because he's so small he hides behind other cars. It's kind of like playing "Where's Waldo" !

41 - 60 of 63 Posts