Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been asked before..but I see alot of MINI owners on this site. Why are you choosing the fortwo over the Cooper?

·
Registered
69 Posts
For me, I like both of them as I am a 3-time MINI owner but I also love the Smart having seen many variations on my trips to Europe. I hope to own both my MINI and a new 08 Passion coupe for use as more of an errand/weekend/city/knockaround kinda car or vice-versa maybe. The MINI is a little more practical as it has a back seat (for my toddler son) and mine has swallowed TVs, short lumber, mulch, etc however the Smart is equally as unique as the MINI and features better gas mileage than my 210hp uberfast MCS.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Why have two of the same thing...Variety is the spice of life. The drive is different in both. When I'm in the Mini I want to autocross the streets. When in the Smart I want to go for a casual drive.....Besides my son claimed ownership to the Mini and I'm stuck driving my 12 year old Montero. What you won't do for your kids...along as the are following the straight and narrow and excelling in school. He keeps it up, he keeps driving the Mini.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Drove my Mini S today. We will keep it. My son will drive the Mini S to school. Having seen the smart in England it looks like fun tooooo. Ask me in a year. lol

·
Registered
465 Posts
I loved my MINI, but it was time for a change. The Smart gives me something that the MINI can't - good gas mileage. My Works car got 15mpg. I replaced it with another dream car, an Audi TT...even more unusual, better mileage, and it will dust my MINI.

Mileage isn't the only reason for the Smart for me. I like the design, and I think we all should start preparing for what is a certainty - higher priced gasoline. The efficient cars time has come, and I want to help introduce it to the US.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
This and Lewis' response below say it for me

Mileage isn't the only reason for the Smart for me. I like the design, and I think we all should start preparing for what is a certainty - higher priced gasoline. The efficient cars time has come, and I want to help introduce it to the US.
Rlove's above reason is mine as well....So is Lewis' mention of the $$$$$. I can afford a MINI but refuse to pay that kind of money for that kind of car. Now the Honda S-2000 that I have is alittle different category...that's our fun summer car for top down rides in the beautiful Northeast countryside! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
My modified Mini (S) has 200 HP and runs competetively on racetracks with many sports cars. These are car club events, not races. I got it as a reliable, affordable and fun car that handled great and could be driven to and from the track. The Smart will be an economical third car. In the winter, it will fit behind my stored Mini in my garage.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Warning, thread creep.

My modified Mini (S) has 200 HP. . .
I've been trying to find time to get Rodan to the dyno. Maybe next week. What mods brought you to the 200HP level? Hoping that the CAI, exhaust, pulley, re-map and some other minor tweeks have gotten me there, too. :D

tm

·
Registered
465 Posts
Warning, thread creep.

I've been trying to find time to get Rodan to the dyno. Maybe next week. What mods brought you to the 200HP level? Hoping that the CAI, exhaust, pulley, re-map and some other minor tweeks have gotten me there, too. :D

tm
The mod's you mention will get it to the Works level of around 200hp, but at the wheels you'll be, (from watching several on the dyno) around 185-190. Check the mod.'s threads on my old MINI site, (www.metroplexmini.org) we have a couple of cars that are near 250 hp...which doesn't come without a lot of trial, error, and expense, (pay particular attention to posts by Gnatster, TrackToy, and Spyke as well as Scobib, who has a startup cottage industry of designing and producing superior MINI products). A suggestion...with the increase of horsepower don't overlook upgrading your brakes as well.

Back to our previous thread. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts