Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must admit that back in April I was thinking of getting a Pure model with a few options. Once more details became known I decided on a Passion because of Air Conditioning and Power Windows. It seemed like a good buy.

But I thought at least 25% would be getting the basic Pure.

Anyone here getting a Pure and if so what helped make your decision?

Scott

·
Registered
465 Posts
Lack of money would have to be the only reason to choose the Pure. For just a bit more the Passion is trimmed out nicely.

·
Super Moderator
29,153 Posts
Agree; I think we're used to all the bells and whistles in our cars and the price for a passion is just right. :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
I was going to get a Pure- the wife insisted on the Passion. The more I thought about it I agreed because I'm likely to trade it in or sell it privately for a new model if they bring over the diesel.

If there would be a Pure with the diesel I'd be in cheapskate heaven!

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Shot in the foot on resale.

Saronian.

Our decision on how much to load the car was baised on resale value.

With the passion, many of the add ons were already there, the rest were very well priced.

The first USA Smarts will be a highly sought after collectables. When a collector buys a car he wants it to reflect the essence of that year and model. Color, body type, and FACTORY equipment are very important to the colector.

For example: the gauges on top of the dash have been a hallmark of the Smart design. To not order these on your car is like shooting yourself in the foot resale-wise.

We have no intention of selling our car for a long while, but sometimes life and situation changes (to this day I regret selling my MG TD).

Just some things to think about when you order your new Smart.

A2Jack.

·
Super Moderator
29,153 Posts
a2,

Always a crap shoot. They may be collectable, or they may be the next PT Cruiser; remember when people were on waiting lists for those? I'm guessing high early demand and then a few years later, after the Honda, Toyota, etc. microcars arrive, a decline in sales. It's all speculation at this point. :)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Agreed.

Jwight.

But, so far, most micro cars are collectable and the Smart will be the first popular micro car sold across the USA.

There have been others, (we owned a Subaru 360cc, two stroke, 4dr. :D ). but these were sold in very limited numbers and were seldom seen beyond the West coast.

If the Mitsu "I" kei car had been for sale in the US we may have bought one of those instead of the Smart.

My point in the post is, given the low cost of add ons, buy them in case you have to resell. :)

A2jack.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
a2,

Always a crap shoot. They may be collectable, or they may be the next PT Cruiser; remember when people were on waiting lists for those? I'm guessing high early demand and then a few years later, after the Honda, Toyota, etc. microcars arrive, a decline in sales. It's all speculation at this point. :)
Agreed, the original VW Beetles were a revolutionary concept at the time. I don't see any of those selling in the Dupont Registry for 100's of thousands.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
The additional options offered in the Passion offer great value considering the small differential price between the two models. Not surprising at all that the demand for the Pure is low. The choice to buy a Pure is certainly made based on budget limitations.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Not Micro.

Neither the Pt, nor the VW, were micro cars, and I'm not sure any of the micro cars made it up to 100k $.

I had an acquaintance who bet the farm he would make a killing on the "last"
big Cad Converts. He bought two, brand new, and put them away. He passed on before he sold them. He was still waiting for his pay back but they never went up in price.

It's all in picking the right car. I feel the USA Smart may be a good bet, and it takes up a lot less garage space then the Cads. :)

Buy those add ons and enjoy.

A2jack.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i initially was going to get a Pure - but then I started thing about resale value and started adding up the options, (can't sell a car witout A/C) it started to get close to the Passion pricewise.

·
Registered
931 Posts
IMHO, the Pure IS the best for resale value based on percentages. How much can a hot selling car with an $11K MSRP lose percentage wise with buyers waiting and limited production?

How important is to have power windows if you have A/C? Can't you turn you own lights off when you leave the car? Why pay $450.00 for a radio when you can get a better one after market that will adapt easily for Satellite? Why have a clear roof when you need to keep your eyes on the road? Why do you need a tach if you are not racing and maximizing shift points? Why do you need a clock when your radio will provide one? Why pay for a lot of options you don't need just to get leather seats? Why not add leather seats in your CHOICE of color aftermarket? Why must you have alloy wheels when a great set of custom wheel covers can be had for less than $80.00? Sure, you can "might as well" yourself into a loaded Passion saying, hey it's only about $3000.00 more, but that represents almost a 30% bump in cost.

Just some questions to ponder.

:D

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Hmmmmmmm...$2k is a big difference to those of us on a limited budget. I'm ordering mine with nothing. I'll put in my own sound system and need no a/c. The rest of the bells and whistles are not necessary. I will add nicer rims later. However.....if I get a chance on a Passion way earlier, I may go the price just to get my Smart sooner, ya know? We'll see. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm going with the passion just because I realized that after adding AC and a radio I was less than 1500 away from the passion...and the power windows/mirrors, upgraded interior, window roof (panorama...whatever it's called!), paddle shifters...and not having to deal with hubcaps were worth the difference!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
pure and passion, is a toss up.

if pure had the three spoke steering wheel, and red interior option, likely would be a 50 50 split.

to me, the pure is the better car, due to fewer options to go bad long term, less weight (so better possible mpg), a pure less-optioned & less repair-vulnerable vehicle.

i likely would have gotten the convertible, 'without' the passion auto windows, and auto mirrors, radio upgrade, alloy wheels, if available. possibly, may have dropped the air, less weight,

and a convertible air conditioner doesn't work well with the convertible top down. wasn't that the idea, with the convertible? to run it top down, when it gets warm?

also, since the allow wheels are nice, if i still wanted them, i could have likely gotten them used, for a good deal, in 6 months or so after taking delivery.

the pure wheel covers, are great. i'm hoping to pick up a set of pure wheels and covers for my convertible, for winter, or just a change, from time to time.

on my convertible order, basically, you have to take it like it is, or pass. a pure convertible, would be a much better smart choice to me, in my opinion.

i ordered the instruments, cause to enjoy watching the tach while the car shifts.

the fog lights ordered, for safety. spend $160 now, and be able to see better in fog, and avoid hitting a deer, etc., which could be a $1000 or more repair, plus possible personal injury, plus inconvenience.

the alarm ordered, a small insurance policy. if it prevents one thief, it pays for itself many times over, not to mention being able to ride home in your own car, rather than call police, file reports, ride home hours later, with a stranger, or an inconvenienced relative.

but again, given the chance, i would drop the passion pw, pm, radio upgrade, wheels, maybe the entire radio, and get a $100 local radio and install it myself, and maybe drop extra weight, seldom if ever used, air conditioner. (upper ohio, pleasant summers, generally. not too hot, for too long.)

and would be happy with the wheel covers. if still interested, buy a used set of the 9 spokes and tires, when available, at a good price, later.

i don't think it has to do with not having the money. the lower the price, the better the value, the smarter the vehicle. always true in a rapidly, or greatest ever, depreciating asset, such as a 'new' automobile.

all three models have strong points. especially, if they could have given the pure, the three spoke steering wheel. and a red interior option. but, even the two spoke steering wheel doesn't look bad, and in person, it may look as good, or better, than the passion three spoke steering wheel. less cluttered. i haven't seen the two spoke in person yet, but im still looking forward to doing so.

and the pure gray interior is outstanding. least likely to show wear and dirt long term with age, and goes great with any of the six smart exterior colors, and future se colors.

i basically was split between the pure, and the convertible. if i went the convertible, i had to forgo the pure benefits, which made it a very difficult decision.

in the end, they didn't have a pure at the event to see in person, that i noticed, and they did have a silver/silver/red convertible, that i liked for the colors and style model type, in person viewing. and, second, then the only way to get worlds lowest-priced best-value, production convertible, was to buy it the way 'they' wanted me to buy it, $16,590, with about $2,500 more stuff (wheels, air, pl, pw, pm, radio upgrade) than i would have wanted to start with, and been very happy with, on the intial order.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I think it's just a simple fact of demographics. From Penske's profiles of typical buyers, most are not the types to be deterred by the extra $2k for a Passion. And these days people want items like A/C, a CD player and power windows if they can afford them.

As for options versus resale value, the only thing that makes sense to me is order what you want and enjoy it for the next x years. If you like the pod instruments, buy 'em. Personally (and don't flame me here, this just my opinion) I think they're ugly, cheap-looking and out of character with the new style interior. If they were standard, I'd happily pay $120 to have them deleted. In 30 years, when someone finds my smart in a barn and decides to restore it, they'll just install a reproduction set anyway.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
The black plastic roof and steel wheels look cheesy on the pure. Much prefer the clear top and the wheels on the passion. Add all the rest of the standards, and the pure seems like a true rent-a-car to me.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The black plastic roof and steel wheels look cheesy on the pure. Much prefer the clear top and the wheels on the passion. Add all the rest of the standards, and the pure seems like a true rent-a-car to me.
i would order the

$350 clear roof - a pure option. not that the black solid roof is bad, just the clear roof was intriguing.

i really like those wheel covers, reminds me of what the mercedes benz wheels covers of a few years back may ahve looked like. when seeing them, in real good photos, i was concerned i blew it getting the convertible. the other thing i wonder if i blew, is gettin the silver tridion, instead of the black. i really like the black. i gues i like them both, would liek to have them both. hopefully, i can find a suitable, removable black body tape, that i can try the black tridion look for a while, without hurting the silver paint underneath.

·
Registered
465 Posts
After reading all of this, I'm still a future Passion owner. Wheelcovers? Aftermarket radio? No A/C? I think not!

True, I will probably put my own choice of wheels on shortly after getting the car, (look on this forum Pure owners for a perfect set of alloys) and those thinking of adding an after-market radio should go shopping. A decent radio and speakers is going to set you back more than a few hundred dollars, then there is the hassle and expense of installation, and all of my after-market radios were stolen at some point causing major damage to the car and dash...thieves don't steal factory radios - generally. And, after-market radios never look right with the design of the dash. A car without A/C in Texas, (or almost anywhere else) may as well be a planter, 'cause it's not going to get driven for most of the year...and when you don't need the A/C, those power windows will come in handy.

To me, the price difference isn't enough to even consider the option of doing it all myself. But, money is a consideration for some. That's why there are so many six-banger Mustangs running around...but why buy a muscle car with no muscle? Give me all the goodies when drive off the lot.

I mentioned this to my SO and she brought up the fact that with this being a new car offering in the US, people putting after-market sound systems in are going to be the guinea pigs for the installers. You get to supply the car that they will figure out how to take apart, cut holes in, etc. And, if don't spend at least $500, it probably won't sound as good as a system designed for the car.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts