Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Love, I see your point on most issues. Radio, however should be just a matter of connecting the cable harness and dropping it in the slot. The car is radio ready. I can wait, if I have to and find one that fits and should be able to get a fine unit for $100-150...really. Factory units are way overpriced.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Love, I see your point on most issues. Radio, however should be just a matter of connecting the cable harness and dropping it in the slot. The car is radio ready. I can wait, if I have to and find one that fits and should be able to get a fine unit for $100-150...really. Factory units are way overpriced.
If the speakers are in place too then it could be done fairly inexpensively, I agree. But, I'm just anal enough that I want the styling of the dash to be unbroken by an after-market radio - that, and the fact that your after-market radio is a big theft item, along with the damage that the low-life, scum-sucking, bedwetter, commie thief will do. Been down that road too many times. My almost brand new $150 radio, my $250 bazooka were stolen with over $1500 in damage in my beater truck...before that (years before) it was several $1,000 Blaupunkt radios in other cars until I quit be a supplier of quality radios to lowlifes.

It's each person's choice obviously, but I know the way I'm going. :D

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Our decision on how much to load the car was baised on resale value.

With the passion, many of the add ons were already there, the rest were very well priced.
These are very good points. My decision on the optional intrument pods was based on styling and not function. I've seen several 451's without the pods and it seemed like something was missing.

I also had little interest in the factory alarm, but it was so inexpensive that a small saving's on insurance would easily pay for the option.

Scott

·
Registered
275 Posts
If the speakers are in place too then it could be done fairly inexpensively, I agree. But, I'm just anal enough that I want the styling of the dash to be unbroken by an after-market radio - that, and the fact that your after-market radio is a big theft item, along with the damage that the low-life, scum-sucking, bedwetter, commie thief will do. Been down that road too many times. My almost brand new $150 radio, my $250 bazooka were stolen with over $1500 in damage in my beater truck...before that (years before) it was several $1,000 Blaupunkt radios in other cars until I quit be a supplier of quality radios to lowlifes.

It's each person's choice obviously, but I know the way I'm going. :D
Theft can occur, especially in a convertable. I have been lucky so far, but I have not been impressed with any of the factory radios stereo seperation quality. One option that I have thought of is going ahead and using the original factory unit and putting in one of the aftermarket integrated controllers, such as the Kenwood KOS-V500. This way you get the stealth of a factroy radio with aftermarket radio quality sound.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/CarPortal™/KOS-V500

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think as noisy and vibratory as tiny cars are, the investment in high end stereo gear just seems futile- but to each his/her won.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think that the Pure's will the "Ford Taurus" in the fact that once the cars get popular they will start to be sold to fleet sales and especially car rental companies. Sixt in Europe rents them for 5 Euro a day, something akin to that would be great here. A Pure with AC and a Radio would be all that Rental companies need. Especially when people rent huge cars for a 2 day buisness trip when all they have is themselves and a carry one. Who needs a Crown Vic for that???

·
Registered
931 Posts
I think that the Pure's will the "Ford Taurus" in the fact that once the cars get popular they will start to be sold to fleet sales and especially car rental companies. Sixt in Europe rents them for 5 Euro a day, something akin to that would be great here. A Pure with AC and a Radio would be all that Rental companies need. Especially when people rent huge cars for a 2 day buisness trip when all they have is themselves and a carry one. Who needs a Crown Vic for that???
It will be quite some time before there are enough smarts unaccounted for with reservations. Rental companies will have a looooooong wait for inventory.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have not been asked to confirm yet, but I had been planning on getting a Pure before I read this post. Not that I can't afford a Passion or Cabrio, but only because of my minimalist tendencies (hence, my pen name). But there are some good points made here. I, too, would trade it for a turbodiesel or a Forfour if those came over in a year or two. In that case a Cabriolet, I think, will have hottest resale potential (since most are getting Passions).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Why I'm getting a pure

It came down to mainly not caring much about the things that are exclusive to the passion. Since I can, through options, get everything I need I thought it worth the $1000 or so difference to get the pure. This could change, and the little pods might tilt me towards a passion, but who knows.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
I would have guessed more towards 10%. But as many have pointed out, its hard for many of us to pass up a bargin, as consumers, most Americans do want those creature comforts. I suspect once the Smart goes into the showrooms and towards the mainstream public, the number of pures will rise. Afterall, this initial internet campaign has targeted, whether intentionally or not, computer savvy folks with perhaps a little more flexible income. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
All this talk of resale value is a telling comment that most people apparently don't believe in the well-proven life-cycle economy of keeping a car until it dies of old age. I am buying the Pure Smart because I want a no-frills, low-priced, fuel-efficient ride that will last for years, and I imagine that most of us Purists feel that way. By way of illustration, the car I am replacing is a still clean, 21 year old well-maintained, manual transmission 2-door Mitsubishi Mirage hatchback. This Mirage was the bottom rung of the 1986 Mitsu line, ie nothing additional except a radio. It now has 215,000 miles on the original engine and can get better than 45mpg on the highway. The new Pure will give me all I'm used to, plus get rid of the rear seat I've been carrying around empty for the past few decades.

The climate here is moderate, so I have no need of A/C or heated seats. Having a clear roof to let in the heat of the sun, then cooling down with A/C is about as smart as stoking the fireplace and then turning up the A/C at home. My take on the comfort package and additional features of the Passion -- these are just more things to break down and to eat away at maximizing my mpg. One other factor: my commute is right alongside open water, and I feel uncomfortable in ANY car that does not have hand crank windows. The Pure is the greenest flavor to choose from, and it is astounding in this day of concern over global warming that so few are choosing it.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Perscitus.

One dark and stormy night, In Alaska, two friends and I went through a wooden barrier, sailed off a cliff, and rolled down deep into the river below.

I remember to this day cranking down the passinger window and all of us swimming out. I was 17, the car was an old 47 Ford.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Americans have become used to if not dependent on power windows, powered mirrors, A/C, kick ass stereo, heated seats, cruise control, etc..... The dealers make a point of having that in inventory. They know that when we walk in that door ready to buy we will take the moon roof like it or not because we're excited and we want a car now. They make it even easier by allowing financing to go as far as 6 or seven years.....longer than the car will last. Most of us remember when financing only went 3 years. The cars were much cheaper then but we weren't making near as much money either. Now the salesman doesn't talk total price ......he asks "what can you afford a month". To repeat myself. I like the car a lot. I don't need the bells and whistles. This is transportation. My real life is outside the car. I'd rather spend that extra $2-6 grand on other more important/fun things. OMHO :)

·
Registered
931 Posts
While I am intending to get the Pure, I have an advantage being far down the list so I can actually see a floor model. That will allow me to finalize my choice. Of course, when my current lease ends in June, and the dealer calls me with a cancellation alternate choice, I might bend. :D

·
Registered
465 Posts
The Pure is the greenest flavor to choose from, and it is astounding in this day of concern over global warming that so few are choosing it.

Give us a break! What is the mpg loss by having a radio? Air conditioning? I lived without a radio for 10 years...considering that at the time commercial radio was about all that available, it wasn't much of a loss. But, some of us do live a large metro areas that could see a benefit by being able to hear traffic reports. No air conditioning? Texas can easily exceed 100 degrees for days/weeks a a time - you want to talk about road rage, put us in cars with no air during rush hour.

Unless you walk or ride your bike to work most days,, sleep in a box with no heat or A/C, don't buy products from third world nations that pollute heavily, etc don't be preaching about being more green than the rest of us. Hey, we're trying, and we'll be doing better than the SUV's that will be out hunting us.

Yeah, you've driven a 21 year old car forever...you're probably more a cheapskate that green. It probably churns out more pollutants than most of the newer cars.Does it burn unleaded gas? Has that catalytic converter been replace regularly, (if you even have one)?

I'm just not ready to unplug and throw away all the comforts in my life, sit in the corner and read all night by the light of the moon. We all need to do what we can to help the environment to the extent that we can. But, having power windows, air-conditioning, and a radio isn't going to end the World any sooner.

Okay, my rant is over. My apologies to the rest of the Smart community here, but I can't stand a holier than thou attitude.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The Pure is the greenest flavor to choose from, and it is astounding in this day of concern over global warming that so few are choosing it.
There's a lot of people on this forum who are very close to you on the green spectrum. Why go after them when there's a guy with a Hummer right down the street? I too wonder if your present car has a catalytic converter.

·
Registered
931 Posts
OK, your rant is over, but please count to 10 before posting any strong feelings to see if you would do the same during a calmer moment.

With Love in your name, I would bet you are a nice person, even though Texan. LOL

;)

21 - 40 of 59 Posts