Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at used smart cars, for sale, on cars.com. There were 75 used 2016 453 smart cars for sale. A few were dealer demo's. All different Mileages too. Wonder why folks are selling them off so early. Is there some issue with the new 453?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Nervous nellies worried about the pullout of that model?
Add to that folks who got tired of screwing around with the unresolved gas tank issue, such as Steven

I'll always like the smart concept. Based on my needs, the unresolved fuel tank issue was just too much of a nuisance and hindrance. Hopefully TW will find a new loving/caring home, and get the fix that he's now waited a year to have.
Known problem....avoid the car...avoid the grief.

One should not have "live with" such a problem in a brand new $18,000 to over $20,000 car.

side note. Steven, how do you like your Mazda 3 GT ? Any problems ? I like the red with parchment interior, looks great

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
There have always been cars that have had problems with the gas tank filling. I have had a few that used to splash back and soak me with gas on occasion. Usually I would find a kink in the filler tube, or a bad vent tube and just fix it. or slow down and take more time to fill it and it would work fine. the other choice is to sell it and get a different car.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I scrolled through those 75 cars and nearly all were CVP (Courtsey Vehicle Program) cars that smart/Mercedes dealers give to customers to use while cars are being worked on. 2016 Smart cars came out late 2015 and most dealers would have put 2 or more into CVP status in late 2015/early 2016 when they had a few in inventory after the initial release. The loaner smart cars need to be used for minimum 12 months per MB then dealers can replace them. Its now been a little over the minimum and dealers are starting to replace their loaner inventory with newer cars and will sell the former loaners as used.

If they were all trade ins, then they would NOT be at smart/MB dealerships, they'd be at Mazda/Ford//Honda/Toyota/Hyundai/etc dealers. Since almost all were at MB/smart dealers, they are all former loaners cars. Some were barely ever driven- check the miles.

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Going though the listing. Their are a lot used 2016 smarts, on Chevy, Ford, Honda, Subaru, GMC, Toyota dealers too. Some independent dealer listed. Looks like the majority might have been loaner or demo vehicles, at MB dealerships. After 2017. Their won't be anymore loaner smarts.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
Going though the listing. Their are a lot used 2016 smarts, on Chevy, Ford, Honda, Subaru, GMC, Toyota dealers too. Some independent dealer listed. Looks like the majority might have been loaner or demo vehicles, at MB dealerships. After 2017. Their won't be anymore loaner smarts.
Don't think that there is anything alarming going on here?

Approximately 24 of 75 pre-owned MY16 543's listed on cars.com are being resold through non-MB dealers.

As has been noted - most on smart/M-B lots appear to be demos, Executive "Gold Hat," loaners, early lease turn-ins, a few gas tank failures and an accelerated ICE smart inventory liquidation.

Does bring up an interesting question as to whether future smart Center service loaners will be smart ED or M-B?

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
One should not have "live with" such a problem in a brand new $18,000 to over $20,000 car.
[/I]
In today's economy, an $18k car is technically a disposable car. It's weird though, the 451 and its craze-tastic roof, peeling red paint, rubbing coolant hoses, and faulty early transmissions didn't get nearly as much blowback from the US smart owner communities as the 453's comparably superficial issue. It's annoying and aggravating, sure...though still not as bad as those early days when 451 owners had to get their cars towed because of dead trannies.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
In today's economy, an $18k car is technically a disposable car.

It's weird though, the 451 and its craze-tastic roof, peeling red paint, rubbing coolant hoses, and faulty early transmissions didn't get nearly as much blowback from the US smart owner communities as the 453's comparably superficial issue.
"Technically a disposable car" - that's a bit of a reach or have you scored a HUGE raise?

A 50% loss or $9,000 is a significant hit for the average smart owner who thought they were buying a neat little car backed by a warranty from a "respected" auto manufacturer.

Sometimes the frustration of being stonewalled by "the man" for over a year can get in the way of dealing with even "superficial issues."

Unfortunately, for your own sanity one sometimes just needs to move on. At the end end of the day, it's just a car and you can't let it consume you...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Don't think that there is anything alarming going on here?

Approximately 24 of 75 pre-owned MY16 543's listed on cars.com are being resold through non-MB dealers.

As has been noted - most on smart/M-B lots appear to be demos, Executive "Gold Hat," loaners, early lease turn-ins, a few gas tank failures and an accelerated ICE smart inventory liquidation.

Does bring up an interesting question as to whether future smart Center service loaners will be smart ED or M-B?
I think its slighly less than 24, maybe only 19 or 20, meaning 55 or so are ex-loaners. Some MB/smart dealers don't necessarily have "Mercedes-Benz" or "smart" in their name. For example, Benzel-Busch, Carlton Motorcars, Flagship Motorcars, Walter's, Plaza Motor are MB/smart dealers as well. Other times the dealership is owned by a group with multiple dealers who might move the former loaner smart car to an off-brand lot where it might be among similiarly priced cars with a wider audience than parked at a Mercedes lot. There was one at the VW dealer in Santa Fe but photos are from the MB dealership next door with same owner.

As a rule of thumb (used by many but not necessary all dealerships) if the stock number ends an a letter (A, B, C, etc) then it is a trade-in. If not (again, generally) then it was a car they acquired another way- such as former loaner cars, MB/smartUSA demo cars from employees of the mothership, repossessed cars for people who jumped at the 0% APR offer and didn't pay their bills, early lease turn-ins, etc.

20 used 2016s excluding loaners nationwide really isn't bad at all...

As for what future loaners will be, I imagine they will keep current gas loaners in longer than the usual 12 months & also use MB loaners. To much hassle charging ED cars for muliple users, some of whom may live far away and going to the dealership plus their normal commute can be more than the EV's range. I think they'll get MBs but not sure yet.

·
Registered
456 Posts
There have always been cars that have had problems with the gas tank filling.
Yep, my 1996 Ford Contour was a giant PITA to get filled all the way.

I have had a few that used to splash back and soak me with gas on occasion. Usually I would find a kink in the filler tube, or a bad vent tube and just fix it. or slow down and take more time to fill it and it would work fine. the other choice is to sell it and get a different car.
That only works if you live in a state where you can pump your own gas. Here in Oregon, there is no such thing as self-serve gasoline. Getting a busy gas station attendant to slow down and time more time isn't realistic here. Even worse: If the attendant flips off the pump after the first time the pump kicks off you cannot have the attendant put in more gas because your credit card will not work at that station for some period of time. This is done to prevent credit card fraud.

I sometime had to drive to 3 stations to get a full tank of gas in my 1996 Contour.

This memory is so traumatic to me, that I wouldn't buy a Model 453.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Sounds like for you , it would be a wise choice. Everyone's circumstances are different. In this state, you can hardly get someone to look out the window let alone give you "service" at a service station.
I recall out in California when the first came out with pumps that captured any spilled gas, you could keep clicking all day and the price would go up but the overflow went back into their tank.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
That's what vapor recovery nozzles are designed to do. I still see people trying to force more gasoline into their tank by continually pulling up on the nozzle trigger which immediately clicks. off. This is annoying as the pressure pulses can be felt throughout all the pumps that are being used at the station.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Talked to one of my buddies at work (been off work for a few months) and he made the mistake of letting his wife drive his smart, he just got it a while back from the dealership, one of the Car2go returns, anyhow he had to go buy another because she wouldn't give it back. He also mentioned the other guy at work who got one too is going down to buy a second smart because he needs another car. for the price, why not!! I suspect I will get some grief when I show up in my red smart with the white front end..

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Yep, my 1996 Ford Contour was a giant PITA to get filled all the way.

That only works if you live in a state where you can pump your own gas. Here in Oregon, there is no such thing as self-serve gasoline. Getting a busy gas station attendant to slow down and time more time isn't realistic here. Even worse: If the attendant flips off the pump after the first time the pump kicks off you cannot have the attendant put in more gas because your credit card will not work at that station for some period of time. This is done to prevent credit card fraud.

I sometime had to drive to 3 stations to get a full tank of gas in my 1996 Contour.

This memory is so traumatic to me, that I wouldn't buy a Model 453.
Can you have a portable gas container filled while you have the car filled?

·
Registered
456 Posts
That's what vapor recovery nozzles are designed to do.
Vapor recovery nozzles are designed to shut off when the tank is full. The problem comes in when the design of the tank, fill tube and the ventilating system causes the pump to shut off when there is only 1/3 or 1/2 tank of gas. In the case of my Ford Contour, I think the shape of the tank caused gas to splash up inside the filler tube, causing the pump to shut off. In a self-serve gas situation this is annoying. In a situation where there is no self-serve gasoline (like Oregon) this is maddening.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Fool me once ~ Shame on SMART ~ Fool me twice ~ Shame on me

Abandoned by SMART USA... People are running for the Door...!!! They don't want to be left holding the UGLY-BAG... Remember the First Gen was CUTE...
I would like to Smack them people around over at the Big "M" for what they did to US...!!!
They treated SMART like they were marketing, and Selling "Toaster-Ovens"...<:-((

1 - 20 of 81 Posts