Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a 2012 thru 2014 Brabus, but in my searching I've notice some prices of 2008, 2009, 2010 and such Pure and Passion going for $9,995.00 if not more with 60k + miles. Are these little guys becoming rare and that is why the prices are up there or is is because pre-owned cars in general are fetching more? If those are the prices for the non-Brabus Smart's, I can't imagine what a Brabus is going to cost.

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
It's most certainly pandemic-related. This car market is definitely a seller's market and probably will be for another year or so.

Many people are turning to used cars because there aren't many good deals to be had on new cars right now. In fact, demand for new cars is outstripping supply so bad that many models are selling for over sticker. One dealership is trying to sell a Kia Telluride for just short of six figures!

As a result, incredible used car demand is convincing everyone that their cars are worth way more than usual. Some used cars are now priced the same or higher than when they were new. A $10,000 pure is knocking on the door of sticker price. That's absurd for a smart that's at minimum 11 years old.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Rare car, wanted in demand by smart car enthusiast. I’d would make a clone Brabus, with a lower mileage Passion model.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Are those "asking" prices or is that what the car have been sold for?
Severe shortage of new cars is the reason for higher used car prices. Due to a shortage in semiconductor chips. It's a seller's market right now
The Ford dealership in Florida where I picked up this bad boy
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Window
had 10 new vehicles left on their lot. They closed their remote used car lot and moved all the used cars to their new car lot.
On my drive back from Florida to Las Vegas 2400 miles I passed a lot of new car dealerships none of them had full lots.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
299 Posts
On my drive back from Florida to Las Vegas 2400 miles I passed a lot of new car dealerships none of them had full lots.
I bet you didn't pass too many gas stations without stopping. :rolleyes:
My F350 Crew Cab gets 12.5 MPG no matter how I drive it.

Jim

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Exactly the same around 12.7 - 13.1 mpg of diesel.
But a full tank of 47 gallons gives me just over 600 miles of range. So I really didn't have to stop that often.
Over $100 each stop.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I read where the chip shortage is having an impact on new vehicle sales and inventory issues. Now we are dealing with higher fuel prices too, which I'm sure won't help. I'm still looking and I'm in a position where I can wait as I love driving my 2017 Fiat Abarth, so no rush to get another Brabus.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rare car, wanted in demand by smart car enthusiast. I’d would make a clone Brabus, with a lower mileage Passion model.
I thought about that, but I think I'll wait for the real deal Brabus. Not only that but it's the Pure's & Passions that are fetching some pretty high prices.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Here is just 1 headline about 1 model of 1 brand. Most auto makers are affected to the same degree.
Thousands of 2021 Ford Super Duty Trucks Waiting for Chips Can Be Seen From Space
by Peter Corn on May 18, 2021

Add to that rental car companies who sold off large portions of their fleets during the beginning of the pandemic, are now trying to replace cars for their fleets.
5 years ago I paid $4,500 for my 09 smart convertible with 47000 miles on it. Today if I were to list my car I would be "Asking" just under $,6,000 for it and negotiate from there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is just 1 headline about 1 model of 1 brand. Most auto makers are affected to the same degree.
Thousands of 2021 Ford Super Duty Trucks Waiting for Chips Can Be Seen From Space
by Peter Corn on May 18, 2021

Add to that rental car companies who sold off large portions of their fleets during the beginning of the pandemic, are now trying to replace cars for their fleets.
5 years ago I paid $4,500 for my 09 smart convertible with 47000 miles on it. Today if I were to list my car I would be "Asking" just under $,6,000 for it and negotiate from there.
I'm in the same situation with my 2017 Fiat Abarth. I bought at a very reasonable price in 2019 as it was a left over. I can sell it today with 19,000 for more than I paid for it. I guess I'll be sitting tight for a while on a Brabus until used car prices stabilize. I even thought about contacting the retired Judge I sold it to, to see if he might be interested in selling it back.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I'm in the same situation with my 2017 Fiat Abarth. I bought at a very reasonable price in 2019 as it was a left over. I can sell it today with 19,000 for more than I paid for it. I guess I'll be sitting tight for a while on a Brabus until used car prices stabilize. I even thought about contacting the retired Judge I sold it to, to see if he might be interested in selling it back.
I would keep the judge in mind maybe just call him and see if he would give you the first option of the buyback. I mean what's the worst he could say no. Chances are you would probably give him more than CarMax or as trade in at a dealership. To me what you are offering is a win win. You get the car cheaper than retail the judge gets more money than if he trades it in to a dealer or sells it to a dealer.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Are those "asking" prices or is that what the car have been sold for?
Severe shortage of new cars is the reason for higher used car prices. Due to a shortage in semiconductor chips. It's a seller's market right now
The Ford dealership in Florida where I picked up this bad boy
View attachment 66705
had 10 new vehicles left on their lot. They closed their remote used car lot and moved all the used cars to their new car lot.
Good luck.
I just drove by the local Carmax lot. They are jammed packed. The local Honda dealer also seems to have plenty of cars sitting on their lots. The BMW dealer is a little thin and the Mini dealer seems to have plenty of inventory. Go figure.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Chip shortages, has nothing to do with used car sales. It affects the Availability of brand new vehicles. The Brabus model, is sought out, by just a few smart enthusiast.

Here 2 Brabus’s up for sale, Cars.com. The red one is just a miss print. Both the real used Brabus’s, aren’t $9.5K. $6-7k, at the most.

This gentleman’s modded smart car, looks better, then any stock Brabus out there.
Like I mentioned before, buy a low mileage passion. Cheaper, then Write a check to smart madness.
Bingo, you can drive something like this beautiful modded smart car.

https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/attachments/1621873205754-png.66637/

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Sorry your absolutely wrong. Buyers of new cars who can't wait for a new car will in turn choose a used car. That will drive up prices of used cars it's something called supply and demand.
Here's why used car prices are going up
The general manager of Car City West said over the last few months, he's seen used car prices go up, some between $3,000 and $5,000.

Author: Khalil Maycock
Published: 4:05 PM CDT May 27, 2021
Updated: 4:05 PM CDT May 27, 2021
CLIVE, Iowa — A computer chip shortage has led to the production of new cars slowing down, meaning fewer of them at dealerships.
A trickle-down effect has caused used car prices to increase.
"It's a long ways from last year," Marty Engelen, General Manager at the used car dealership Car City West, said.
Since January, the price of used cars and trucks on his lot has steadily increased due to a shortage of new cars, and some of them have increased by $3,000 to $5,000 or more

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I just drove by the local Carmax lot. They are jammed packed. The local Honda dealer also seems to have plenty of cars sitting on their lots. The BMW dealer is a little thin and the Mini dealer seems to have plenty of inventory. Go figure.
And I passed at least 20-30 dealers on my drive from Florida thru Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico not so much in Arizona. Last weekend. Same thing most lots new cars front row spaces out everything behind are used cars.
I never said there was a shortage of used cars!! It's the price of used cars that is being questioned
If people NEED a car and they were looking at New but can't find one their only other choice is used or ride the bus.
Knowing this, why would anyone discount the used cars their selling?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would keep the judge in mind maybe just call him and see if he would give you the first option of the buyback. I mean what's the worst he could say no. Chances are you would probably give him more than CarMax or as trade in at a dealership. To me what you are offering is a win win. You get the car cheaper than retail the judge gets more money than if he trades it in to a dealer or sells it to a dealer.
I'm going to call him on Tuesday t see if he still has the car. I sold it to him about a year and a half ago, so fingers are crossed that he has it and might be interested in selling it.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,095 Posts
In the last couple months have “traded” (don’t ask) one car for new and sold 2 others by owner as we downsize.

Rental car availability can be slim and pricey. One-way rentals are impossible causing some folks to rent U-haul?

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
There isn’t a shortage of new or used cars here. We took the Jeep Renegade, in for service the other day. The lot was full, of Grand Cherokee’s, wranglers, Cherokee’s, etc. The Honda dealership had plenty of 2021’s in stock. Same with Toyota, Kia, and the Chevy lot. All of them in a row. 3 miles up the the highway, Hyundai, Lexus, Audi, BMW, Mini, were well stock with new vehicles too. Some of the brands had new 2022 models on their lots.

The chips are effecting the new EV’s vehicles, being introduced. Like the Mach e, we are looking at one. That car to replace the lease of our Accord Touring. Only 2 of them on the large Ford lot. Same with the new VW EV’s.

since the pandemic, is slowing becoming under control. according to the Ford sales man. People are out shopping again. Shopping for new.

Back to the Op’s main topic. Smart Brabus, aren’t selling for $9.5k.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Parts shortage forces months-long layoffs for thousands at Kansas City Ford, GM plants
A new car hasn’t rolled off the line of General Motors’ sprawling Kansas City, Kansas, factory in more than two months.
The factory, which makes the Chevrolet Malibu sedan and the Cadillac XT4 crossover SUV, has been crippled by a global shortage of semiconductors that has hit the nation’s automakers particularly hard.
Thousands of brand-new GM vehicles waiting for critical microchips
WENTZVILLE, Mo. – Acres upon acres of new 2021 GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado trucks, plus full-size vans built at the GM plant in Wentzville have been parked in at least two secure “mega-lots” in Missouri and Illinois for about the past three months. The vehicles still need the semiconductor chips that run their computer and electronic features.
“This didn’t happen overnight,” said AutoAgent CEO Jay Grosman.
‐------‐------
The above goes right to the Crux of higher than normal pricing of all used cars smart included

1 - 20 of 32 Posts