Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
So the other day I was leaving a parking lot and while waiting to go the car just died(from lack of electric power) started up went ten feet and did it again, started again and ran fine. Then since then the radio has stopped working and multiple obd11 codes after cleared every thing went fine then again. Kind of worried about driving it, went real south after I was rear ended yesterday, Brought my scanner home and now she drives again????? Any ideas with the problem??? I looked ant grounds and disconnected the battery for ten min. Am I looking at a major cpu problem and get it to Smart car of westminster real quick????:(

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Hello all,
So the other day I was leaving a parking lot and while waiting to go the car just died(from lack of electric power) started up went ten feet and did it again, started again and ran fine. Then since then the radio has stopped working and multiple obd11 codes after cleared every thing went fine then again. Kind of worried about driving it, went real south after I was rear ended yesterday, Brought my scanner home and now she drives again????? Any ideas with the problem??? I looked ant grounds and disconnected the battery for ten min. Am I looking at a major cpu problem and get it to Smart car of westminster real quick????:(
Not enough information. What do you mean by "lack of electrical power"? Why do you think that? When the engine stopped, did you have warning lights on the dash? If the engine restarted then you could not have lost all electrical power, could you?

Unless it is somewhat repeatable and can be tested while the fault is present one is left to guess unless one has the capability to drive with a scan tool connected and in graphing mode of the engine data. A recording of the data may pinpoint something to give a starting point. A failure of the cpu, or ECM if you like, is very uncommon.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok let me see, the car was idling fine then the radio died then the car just shut off, no warning lights, the engine did not studer or hesitate it just shut off. When it restarted there was no check engine lights or warning lights at all. went ten feet and did the same thing again. The second time it restarted I moved to a parking lot off the road and still no check engine or other lights. Ran ok I did not know what to do but it has not repeated the symptom again.
I here you about the drivability test but nothing. All I can relate to is about 5 months ago when I was waiting at the bank drive through the lights flashed ( I saw them in the bumper of the car in front of me) and the radio shut off in FM1 I went to FM 2and it worked but not in FM1. I had to disconnect the battery to get FM1 to work again.
Yes I see this all the time when people bring their cars in to be worked on for a problem and we can't duplicate the problem, there for we can't fix what is not broke. I just thought maybe someone in this forum might have had this problem before and could give me some advice on what could be the problem. At this point I am not sure I can trust the car, it could happen again? Oh well I have AAA for towing.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Check all the electrical grounds in the engine bay, and rear compartment. I know there have been a few cases of folks finding them loose. Sounds like you are suddenly losing electrical power in the car. That can be a tough one to trace down. smarts are very power sensitive cars. Any blip in the flow of electricity can send them into fits...

Also check voltages, both at the battery with the car off, and while running. You should see 12.1-12.4V at the battery with the car off, and about 14.5 with it running. If the battery is below 12V just sitting there, replace it. If you're not seeing 14+V with the car running, you probably have a bad alternator...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
If it were my car I would test the battery and charging system, then do some voltage drop testing of all the primary power and ground connections. Since the power for essentially everything but the starter motor goes through the SAM, one would first wish to test from the battery to the SAM to start.

Of course, it is not my car. My car wouldn't dare. I would give it sound thrashing if it did.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok with recommendations, I have replaced the battery, it is three years old, but I do remember when I replaced it three years ago I was having problems with the head lights blinking at night. So the car seems better already and when I connected the new battery there were no codes thrown. excellent lets hope this solves the problem. Thanks for all the advice

1 - 7 of 7 Posts