Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently running h11 leds but would like to try 100w h11 non hid halogens. Anyone with a similar setup? Any issues? Thx

P.s. I am also running 35w h7 low hids if that will make a difference

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Other than possibly frying the wiring & melting the plastic housings?:confused:

If you're OK with that, then go ahead.... :badidea:

I wouldn't run them on my car. No only is the wiring not designed for that kind of power consumption, but you will have every person coming at you flashing their brights at you. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
It's like putting an undersize fuse into the fuse box and then awaiting great things.

·
Registered
104 Posts
HID requires a Ballast and Ignitor (or together) along with a matching HID bulb, you cant just "use" HID bulbs it doesn't make sense, 100 Watt Halogen will still be dimmer than 45watt HID kit plus more power consumption and risk of burning, LED retrofit Bulbs are not the same as OEM LED headlights from an R8, so the output will be minimal.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used them in mine with no ill effect before I got the HID bulbs installed.
How did you find the 100w output to be compared to stock? How long did you run them before hids?

35w 6k hid are my next option to match my lows. Where did u secure the ballasts to? Did you have to remove the bumper?

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I did not think the 100w bulbs were all that much brighter than the stock bulbs. the LED bulbs I tried were 50% dimmer. the 55w HID bulbs ( yes I used all the hardware required so that it would make sense) are the brightest and the same heat range as the stock bulbs. I used the 100w bulbs for a few months. The only reason I switched them to HID, My lovely wife got me a HID kit for a Christmas presents.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did not think the 100w bulbs were all that much brighter than the stock bulbs. the LED bulbs I tried were 50% dimmer. the 55w HID bulbs ( yes I used all the hardware required so that it would make sense) are the brightest and the same heat range as the stock bulbs. I used the 100w bulbs for a few months. The only reason I switched them to HID, My lovely wife got me a HID kit for a Christmas presents.
Thanks for the comparison.. Looks like il just go for another vvme kit. But I will opt for 35w to match my lows. Did u experience any flickering with the 55w kit?

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
no not with the vvme. I did try n ebay off brand that flickered

devel, My smart has a sticker on the door that says it may come with HIDs. And the smartmadness hid kit looks pure stock. And, the law states you may not use more than 4 white forward facing bulbs at any given time. dimms + brights+ fogs = illegal. I would say to be to the letter, all leds are illegal since they have a row of whitefacingbulbs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts