Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the Genius Newton wheels, and am able to get them ordered in from a local store, however cannot find tires that match the 195/40/17 that is recommended by Genius.

I'm located in Canada, and while i CAN get them from Tirerack, it would be $373 for the tires, and $385 for shipping!??!!

Can someone tell me if 195/45/17 will fit?

·
Banned
844 Posts
they will fit the rear, no problem and should fit the front, but it'll be real close, are you talking about a 451 or 453? i'm talking from 451 experience. depending on how far you are from a tirerack warehouse, you can drive down and have the tires mounted for $15USD each. i'm going to tirerack and getting new tires in the next few weeks, 110 mile drive for me, $10 in gas and 4 hours driving, but i'm not doing anything at the moment.

·
Banned
844 Posts
On my 451, I have 215/35-17 on 7.5" wide wheels on the front and rear. No issues.
his tires will be .5 inches larger in radius, do you think you can go another 1/2 inch in the front? must be nice to live where there are no potholes! 35's are pushing it, i'm going from 50's to 60's or 65's.

·
Banned
844 Posts
I think I could go another half inch in height in the front, but anymore width without a wheel spacer would not be possible.
thanks, cuz i was thinking 175/65-15, and those are the same size diameter. i'm driving a little slower these days, don't need 60mph off ramp speeds, gonna ditch the 195s.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses, it's for a 451. I'm around 2200km from the nearest tire rack. Oh and I'm on an island.

I saw that a different store has Sailun tires, who carry a 195/40 so I'll be in contact with them.

Sent from my Redmi Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I ran a pair of Sailun Atrezzo SH402 tires on the rear of my car for a few months this year, not a great deal of grip in the wet.

Yoko S Drive are available in that size go with them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ran a pair of Sailun Atrezzo SH402 tires on the rear of my car for a few months this year, not a great deal of grip in the wet.

Yoko S Drive are available in that size go with them.
I've tried all locations that carry Yokohama tires in my area, and cannot get the 195/40s. My only option would be tire rack, which has incredibly high shipping costs

Sent from my Redmi Pro using Tapatalk

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,563 Posts
There is something you should consider. Not all tire brands of the same size are actually the same size. A Yokahama S-Drive in 215/35-17 will not fit my car, but a Hankook in the same size will. You need to look at a tire chart (Tire Rack has one) and compare the actual specs of different brands in the size you want. Best not to buy some tires that are too big and then have to ship them back. Good luck in your tire buying adventure.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
A 215 S-Drive the stock diameter is about 2mm too wide in the front to clear the suspension. A 205 is narrow enough to work.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is something you should consider. Not all tire brands of the same size are actually the same size. A Yokahama S-Drive in 215/35-17 will not fit my car, but a Hankook in the same size will. You need to look at a tire chart (Tire Rack has one) and compare the actual specs of different brands in the size you want. Best not to buy some tires that are too big and then have to ship them back. Good luck in your tire buying adventure.
Thanks for bringing that up! I'm currently on 1010tires & the site for my local store, all the available models in 205/40/17 require a 7" wheel. the Genius 17" front wheel is only 6.5". So i'm still SoL?

Just checked Sailun Tire, their 195/40/17 also says it requires a 7" wheel.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I have 7.5" Team Dynamic 16" wheels on all 4 corners. If you buy the Genius wheels buy four rears if you want to run a wider tire, use the same size tire all around.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,563 Posts
I have a Brabus with 7.5x17 factory wheels on all four corners with Hankook 215/35-17 tires. No issues at all. I have been playing with Eibach wheel spacers for the rear to bring the top of the tire more flush with the fender opening. Not needed for clearance, just trying different looks. I bought both 20mm and 30mm. A 25mm would be perfect, but not offered by Eibach for the smart. I have the 20mm's on now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts