Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've been talking to smart centers this week, I've heard repeatedly that most new smarts sold are electric.

And I began to wonder if recent-vintage gas-engine smarts may end up holding their value better over time, as a result of such dominance by the electric version. What do you think?

Secondly... in several years, when ED leases expire, could there be an overall scarcity of used smarts, gas or ED models, in the marketplace?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
There are supposedly lots of 2015 ICE smarts sitting in Germany waiting for the model year changeover before shipping to the USA and Canada. Once the 453 ICE version is here next year things should continue as normal on the used smart scene. EDs were 19% of April smart sales. :)

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
As I've been talking to smart centers this week, I've heard repeatedly that most new smarts sold are electric.

And I began to wonder if recent-vintage gas-engine smarts may end up holding their value better over time, as a result of such dominance by the electric version. What do you think?

Secondly... in several years, when ED leases expire, could there be an overall scarcity of used smarts, gas or ED models, in the marketplace?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Not sure who is telling you "most", but ED sales are about 19% of total smart sales per this post: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f65/latest-monthly-total-us-sales-numbers-check-post-1-a-10685/index62.html#post852977

While 19% is nothing to sneeze at, I hardly call it "most". I don't think we have to worry about ICE smarts going extinct just yet...:)

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
There are supposedly lots of 2015 ICE smarts sitting in Germany waiting for the model year changeover before shipping to the USA and Canada. Once the 453 ICE version is here next year things should continue as normal on the used smart scene. EDs were 19% of April smart sales. :)
We posted at the same time.:)

Edit: sorry misread what you typed...

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts

Will 2013/4 gas-engined smarts be a used-car rarity?

Doubtful as ED is not outselling ICE and the initial ED bubble of 50 state inventory is now becoming depleted. The next ED wave will be 2015 451 models and will not be stateside until October, based on order lead time.

IF, the new ICE 453 is a home-run, there could be a bump in used ICE 451's hitting the lot. But until then, who knows . . .

As for leases ending being of impact to supply and demand, unless they are bought out at lease end all of those USED vehicles will need to find a new home.

Personally I don't believe that in the short term, such a niche vehicle will see much plus side to used value unless we see significant increase in oil/gas prices. :2cents:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts