Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they look completely different (the resonator chambers at least) but the older style just looks like it's so much easier to get in and out of the engine bay.

I have a boeschbuilt intake on now, and would only switch back and forth once every couple of years for a week or so.

Before I buy it I just want to make sure it would work.

Older style:

Newer style:

·
Super Moderator
28,970 Posts
As long as the attachment points are the same they should - the engine didn't change. :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured it's cheaper than paying the $250 to get an automatic pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
If you are going to go back to stock, don't forget the tools to drop the left side of the engine :)

Might check to see what holds up the bottom of the earlier one. You probably know about the ball mount bracket of the '09.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are going to go back to stock, don't forget the tools to drop the left side of the engine :)

Might check to see what holds up the bottom of the earlier one. You probably know about the ball mount bracket of the '09.

That's the info I'm looking for. Is it the same kind of ball mount that was on my 2013 smart?

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
According to Kane's (aka evilution) writeup the older style doesn't look like it uses the lower bracket. Take a look and be your own judge... but it looks like the upper left attach screw of the older style resonator is the same that is used for the later style bracket (for the ball mount). Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Guess I'll buy the older style and even if it doesn't mount completely it should still pass visual.

After removing my stock one I found it to be the culprit causing some hardcore rattling when running the ac.

·
Registered
883 Posts
You shouldn't need the ball retainer if you plan on an in/out scheme - and no ball mount will make it easier to change out

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Thanks. Guess I'll buy the older style and even if it doesn't mount completely it should still pass visual.

After removing my stock one I found it to be the culprit causing some hardcore rattling when running the ac.
On the smart website there were/are instructions on how to change the air filter, but I found thanks to this site that it is for the old style, and seemed much easier to remove/swap out.

I'm very impressed that you know a place with "automatic pass"!!!!

I've been waiting for this item to be updated to include the newer C451s:

Injen - Performance Air Intake Systems, Exhaust Systems, Turbo Components, and Air Filters for Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, ATV's, Boats and more!

They are in Pomona which is not too far from me, and so they are active in getting that CARB EO# that would allow you to keep it in there for "eternity" without issues. But strangely they stop at '12, and no CARB # in sight it seems. I know the carbon filter element in a lot of newer cars has been an inhibiting factor in getting the "#", but Mercedes seems to have been keeping away from this carbon element as far as I see, (the latest in our house is a '13 smart and a '12 Mercedes.)

You shouldn't need the ball retainer if you plan on an in/out scheme - and no ball mount will make it easier to change out
The less work you do to put it in, the less work it is to take it out, as long as it doesn't rattle I guess. (Thank goodness this isn't happening to mine...)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was an added bonus when I swapped intakes. My smart would make a loud rattle any time the ac was turned on and would rattle at idle/stops so loud it could be heard 3 cars back if the window was open. Part of the assembly was knocking against frame or body work.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
It could be the previous owner may have had an aftermarket intake, and maybe didn't put back the original properly. (Did you try asking a smart dealer if they might repair it under warranty)?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It could be the previous owner may have had an aftermarket intake, and maybe didn't put back the original properly. (Did you try asking a smart dealer if they might repair it under warranty)?

As tight as it was installed, I'm thinking not. But who knows.

I had asked about it at my dealer and was told it was "normal."

Since this is my first smart I thought it odd but what ever. After meeting up with more smarts I found it not to be true but not worth the 2.5hr drive since it's fixed now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts