Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beyond cafe standards, just how important is smart to Daimler M-B?

In 2013 98,239 units were produced by smartville.

In that same year, 9,264 smarts were sold in the U.S. and it is believed that statistic may be inflated by the Car2go placements?

Or,

only 9.4% of total smart production was sold to the U.S.

while 90.6% went into WORLD WIDE distribution.

Coming soon to a smart Center not so near you . . .

We now have a promising new smart variant in the 453 that could be a game changer?

With the prospect of renewed U.S. interest in the brand, will existing smart Centers stay the course perhaps even to add ED to their offerings?

Will new smart Centers be built and/or will M-B smartUSA relax the capital (bricks and mortar) investment required to be a smart Center?

The smart brand as we know it is at a pivotal place in a rather harsh automotive world that can turn on the economics of the cost of a barrel of oil or gallon of gas.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
No question (in my mind) that filling the geographical voids for smart dealers would help. Having a dealer 100 miles away would be SO much better than having the nearest one 300 miles distant.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Will new smart Centers be built and/or will M-B smartUSA relax the capital (bricks and mortar) investment required to be a smart Center?
I think this has already changed. Both Tampa and Sarasota SC's are now housed in the main Mercedes show room.... all be it off to the side in a corner.

The trend seems to be as new dealerships are built (Both Sarasota and Tampa have opened new locations in the past 2 years) that the SC's are being brought into the main buildings. I believe Charlotte is the same way isn't it? I know Jacksonville is also in the process of moving to the main showroom.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Sort of a slanted post title, yes? :confused:
Yes, but he's not wrong. As much of a game changer as the new 453 is, MBUSA's reaction and promotion( or lack thereof) of it will show how much they are really willing to support the brand.

Are they going to give it an honest effort, or just live with it for CAFE numbers? Only time will tell...:|

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Yeah, it would be sort of reasonable to see how that plays out rather than prejudging things....IMHO, of course. :)

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe Charlotte is the same way isn't it? I know Jacksonville is also in the process of moving to the main showroom.
Charlotte still has a smart showroom but that is where Mr. Sebates houses his cast off toys or previously owned exotics and a dusty Tridion shell.

Most smart (no Eds) inventory is outside the building unless it is a limited (Bo or City Flame) edition.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I think this has already changed. Both Tampa and Sarasota SC's are now housed in the main Mercedes show room.... all be it off to the side in a corner.

The trend seems to be as new dealerships are built (Both Sarasota and Tampa have opened new locations in the past 2 years) that the SC's are being brought into the main buildings. I believe Charlotte is the same way isn't it? I know Jacksonville is also in the process of moving to the main showroom.
Unfortunately, that's where they have gone wrong. They are relegated to a corner of the showroom, and only if you demand to know about them are the salesmen(women) willing to talk about it. They don't promote it for the fun, trendy, exciting brand it is. Rather, they hope people don't see them so they can sell them an MB for 2X+ the price...:(

I know there are a few honestly great smart centers out there, and they seem to be the ones doing well. They promote smart for what it is. They understand that a smart owner isn't a typlical MB owner. They have events, do what they can to promote the brand, and are successful because of it.

Putting smart in a corner of the main showroom like it's some kind of punishment isn't the answer...

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Yeah, it would be sort of reasonable to see how that plays out rather than prejudging things....IMHO, of course. :)
And I hope you're right. With all the hoopla and excitement Daimler is showing in Europe, I hope it's contagious and spreads to the US. I hope they issue an edict to MBUSA that they will fully support the brand. Truthfully, I hope they don't have to issue an edict, I hope MBUSA wakes up and realizes that it can be a huge promoter and stepping stone for future sales. Maybe they can realize that their dealerships can be fun, not just resorts for the ultra-wealthy...

I've only ever been in two MB dealerships, both associated with smart centers. Walking into the MB side was like walking into a tomb, or Buckingham Palace. Dead silent, and almost awkward... You felt like you couldn't make a sound, and they were playing elevator music that would put you to sleep. That's not smart. Let show some videos of folks having fun. Play some loud, modern music. Liven up the place... Now that's smart...

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Remember all the complaints when Penske was running smart USA and how a lot of folks couldn't wait for Mercedes to take it over? Be careful what you ask for - IMHO, there was genuine enthusiasm for the brand under Penske; not so much under M-B.... :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Remember all the complaints when Penske was running smart USA and how a lot of folks couldn't wait for Mercedes to take it over? Be careful what you ask for - IMHO, there was genuine enthusiasm for the brand under Penske; not so much under M-B.... :)
Can't argue that point.

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's hoping for a smart U.S. roadshow?

smart roadshow through 15 European cities

smart FOR brand campaign 2014

A key element of the brand campaign is a Europe-wide roadshow. smart will invite the inhabitants of 15 major cities to celebrate the joie de vivre in their city together. The roadshow will successively stop in each of the respective cities from Thursday to Saturday over the period from July to November 2014. The smart roadshow will be presenting a diverse programme of events. The star attractions will be the new smart fortwo and the new smart forfour. The roadshow will offer visitors an opportunity to acquaint themselves with the new models and to arrange test drives. Further interactive product and brand information will round off the roadshow.

smart will be offering a bandstand for local artists on each day of the roadshow events: during the day, the stage will feature appearances from the areas of music, dance and performance, while music acts will hit the stage in the evenings. The focus on special local aspects and local protagonists will appeal to the visitors' emotions and link these to the smart stance "FOR". This approach is also manifested in the roadshow architecture: the facade of the portable construction reflects the city concerned, offering visitors a fresh view of their city.

http://www.daimler.com/dccom/0-5-633234-1-1717740-1-0-0-0-0-0-0-7163-0-0-0-0-0-0-0.html#bm1404921636

1 - 12 of 12 Posts