Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a 2015 ForTwo pure (old car to go) model. I currently have a winter set of conti winters on merc steel rims:-

Front (4.5Jx15) 155/60 R15
Rear (5.5Jx15) 175/55 R15

Since sliding around in the snow in Alberta last year i have been looking for some studded options. Based on a lot of research and reading other posts I have come to the conclusion that the following will fit my stock wheels/stock car.

Could anyone confirm as I will be buying online and taking them to a store to be placed on/balanced.

NOKIAN TYRESHAKKAPELIITTA 9 STUDDED - 185/60R15 88T

Can someone confirm if these are ok for my peace of mind? as I am not great with going outside of OEM tire sizes. and don't want a pile of expensive rubber. Thanks!

· Registered
105 Posts
They will fit, although the fronts might rub. Any rubbing should soon stop, as the spikes will quickly wear down any plastic that comes into contact with them.

A tire fitter might not want to fit them because they are not only a non-standard tyre size but they aren't staggered. Also a 5J rim is officially the narrowest rim you can fit a 185/60 tire to. However, 185/60 is safe fitted to a 4.5J front rim if you can get someone to fit them. Don't try fitting a 185/50 or 185/55 to a 4.5J rim because those sizes really do need at least a 5J rim (due to being lower profile).

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response appreciated. Since posting I found other info regarding the front 4.5J being borderline but doable. I was lucky enough to pickup a used set of front/rear rims yesterday. So my plan will be to put rear 5.5J rims on all corners with the 185/60's.

Just another quick question... Are the studs rubbing going to cause a lot of damage when on full lock? Am i better to adapt the mud guard now?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, sorry to dig up an old post. I ended up getting studded 185/60/r15 winter all round.

I tried researching the best tire pressure on the forum and found opinion of:-
36 all round
30 front 36 rear
28 front 34 rear
26 front and 28 or 29 rear.
28psi Front, 32psi Rear
Comfort tire pressures 23psi front and 29psi rear

I ended up going with 28 front and 32 back.

my wife took it in to work today and said it was wobbly at 100km and wanting to fishtail at 110 on the highway. My understanding is that wider wheels should give better handling.

is it the “elk effect” or the steering that she’s not used too? Or could it be over/under inflation.

looking for any pointers or directions to go in. I plan to change the pressure and test out the handling tomorrow

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good news! The front drivers side had lost air and was 22psi prior to testing. Once inflated it drove fine.

I tired a few combinations:-
30 front 32 rear felt fine at low and high speed
32 all round felt more responsive, maybe a little bit too corrective at higher speeds meaning small changes in steering
30 front 36 rear - felt grounded at high speeds, sunk in and almost on rails (in a good way).

my favourite seems to be close to stock pressures on oem tires (29/36). I’m gonna let my wife try 30/36 and then test at stock.

this is all of course very subjective

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.