Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a 2015 ForTwo pure (old car to go) model. I currently have a winter set of conti winters on merc steel rims:-

Front (4.5Jx15) 155/60 R15
Rear (5.5Jx15) 175/55 R15

Since sliding around in the snow in Alberta last year i have been looking for some studded options. Based on a lot of research and reading other posts I have come to the conclusion that the following will fit my stock wheels/stock car.

Could anyone confirm as I will be buying online and taking them to a store to be placed on/balanced.

NOKIAN TYRESHAKKAPELIITTA 9 STUDDED - 185/60R15 88T

Can someone confirm if these are ok for my peace of mind? as I am not great with going outside of OEM tire sizes. and don't want a pile of expensive rubber. Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
They will fit, although the fronts might rub. Any rubbing should soon stop, as the spikes will quickly wear down any plastic that comes into contact with them.

A tire fitter might not want to fit them because they are not only a non-standard tyre size but they aren't staggered. Also a 5J rim is officially the narrowest rim you can fit a 185/60 tire to. However, 185/60 is safe fitted to a 4.5J front rim if you can get someone to fit them. Don't try fitting a 185/50 or 185/55 to a 4.5J rim because those sizes really do need at least a 5J rim (due to being lower profile).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response appreciated. Since posting I found other info regarding the front 4.5J being borderline but doable. I was lucky enough to pickup a used set of front/rear rims yesterday. So my plan will be to put rear 5.5J rims on all corners with the 185/60's.

Just another quick question... Are the studs rubbing going to cause a lot of damage when on full lock? Am i better to adapt the mud guard now?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just another quick question... Are the studs rubbing going to cause a lot of damage when on full lock? Am i better to adapt the mud guard now?
I will pass on that question because I don't know, except to say that 185/60R15 without studs rub only slightly on full lock when new.

·
Registered
562 Posts
My 1st 451 I had 175\65-15 on front and 195\50-15 on back... Uniroyal Tiger Paws with 80lbs of H20 softener under the tonneau cover. Grabs in Wisconsin.
Sky Tire Snow Car Vehicle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts