Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smart's "Anti Lock Brake + Stability System".

YES , even on our old Jan build, 2008 Passion. Never had a hi speed full panic stop in the 6 years we have owned this car, until now.

Yesterday, on US 23, right lane moving with the normal Michigan traffic flow ~82 MPH. Line of traffic in front comes to a complete stop. Surprise... Jam on peddle full. Car pulls slightly to right. OK, that's where I want to go anyway.

Glance in mirror, car behind following too close. He's good though, and wheels it on over into the left safety lane and rocks on by my drivers window. We walk , but others in the line crunched.

After thoughts ? Car is good... One of the best stopping cars I have ever driven. Slight pull to right ? Probably because I have not rattled the adjusters all winter long.

The Fix... Continue to double space the car in front, and RESET those adjusters each month with a series of fast back-ups and full brake stops. You will be glad you did.

Happy Stopping. A2Jack.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have needed to use the awesome stopping power twice in my smart. As you said, best braking car I have owned in 50+ years of car ownership!

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,074 Posts
I got a sample of the braking ability the day after I bought mine while doing a panic stop to avoid hitting a deer that jumped over a guardrail and landed right in front of me. The smart can scrub off speed amazingly quick in those situations and even turns the hazards on for you. I still hit the deer, but it was minor with only a busted headlight to sow for it.

More recently, I was glad the stability control was working properly when I hit some loose gravel in a corner while driving in a bit of a hurry the other morning. Straightened things out and I went on my way ... a little slower. :redface:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Smart's "Anti Lock Brake + Stability System".

Continue to double space the car in front.
Every driver of every vehicle should do that, I've been doing it since I first started driving decades ago. Nothing gets on my nerves more than someone riding my butt. I always pull over and let them pass. If they are in that much of a hurry ( Like it makes a difference, give me a break ) go drive 2" behind someone else and slam into them when everyone comes to a grinding halt ** End Of Rant*** :wink:
But seriously, it's good to know these cars have such good braking power.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Slight pull to right ? Probably because I have not rattled the adjusters all winter long.
The smart will wander a bit with maximum deceleration. It's the stamped sheetmetal A-arms flexing.

With 215 width rubber up front, experience it quite often on mine.

·
aka 'Red-Devil'
276 Posts
Could someone please elaborate on this? Thanks.
Some rear brakes are adjusted with this method. However, I believe the following to be true for the smart.

They are self adjusting, as on the ICE version. :)

AR42.10-P-1010-11SM Adjust Drum Brake

Quote:
When the brake drum is assembled no manual adjustments may be performed at the automatic adjuster.

1 Operate hand brake once and release again.
2 Operate service brake, release, and wait for approx. 1 second. Apply hand brake with button pressed and release. Repeat the procedure until no "actuation clicks" can be heard in the brake drum.
3 Check the rear wheels rotate freely
4 When all work has been completed, check the vehicle brake on the brake test stand.
Differences in braking power above 20 % are not permissible.

Originally posted by

jwight
Bohemian Moderator

1 - 8 of 8 Posts