Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed tremendous wind noise in my Cabrio when the top is UP. I did some research and I found other people with the same issue but no clear fix. I did a few experiments of my own and narrowed it down to the obvious suspect, the top of the windshield where the roof meets the frame.

But in my last test the car started out quiet! Then when I opened the top and re-closed it while driving the noise came back. So my current theory is that closing the top while driving causes the top to close differently, or maybe I just don't hold the "close" button down that little bit longer that would assure a complete close. That will be my next test.

So I thought I'd post here to re-activate the discussion and see what others have discovered. Whatever is going on, its pretty subtle. You can't tell the top is not closed properly by looking at it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, so here's the deal in my car. If you're standing still and press the CLOSE button you naturally hold it until that last little "umph" noise. When you're driving at 60 mph I tend to stop pressing the CLOSE button when the noise suddenly drops and the top appears closed.... but it is not fully closed. And what's more, pressing the CLOSE button now will not complete the closing. But if you open the top back up a few inches and then press close and hold it a little longer, Voila!. No wind noise.

I can't tell from the other past postings on this issue if they had this problem or not, but it was pretty baffling to me until I discovered this, so maybe it's not so obvious.

·
Registered
978 Posts
As the past owner of a 2008 cabriolet and currently an owner of a 2009 cab.
Thank you for the research and info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts