Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's always a huge black line on the top of my windows. I clean it off and it's back within a couple of days - and it's hard to get off! Asked my dealer to look into it but no help. Is there something I can spay on the top window rubber to stop it from adding the horrible dirt?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I would spray some foam window cleaner onto a microfiber towel and wipe the gasket area clean in the hopes that this will prevent the transfer of debris from the window seal to the window glass itself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did spray window cleaner into the foam top but that didn't help - did it work for you?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I don't have this concern with my two smart 451's. Try some alcohol if you feel there is still dirt or debris on the window seal.

·
Registered
883 Posts
After cleaning the channels - Spray soak the window seal channels with wd-40 - will help with the window up/down performance.

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
I haven't met a 453 without this problem, I'm not sure why they all seem to do it, either.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After cleaning the channels - Spray soak the window seal channels with wd-40 - will help with the window up/down performance.
Have you tried this and it worked? I would think it would just add a 'greasy' streaks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The glass can be cleaned with rubbing alcohol. Putting silicone lubricant on the rubber seems to keep the windows clean for at least a week. It does seem that the rubber brakes down much more than it should. There may be other rubber products that do a better job at conditioning than silicone. I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
293 Posts
There may be other rubber products that do a better job at conditioning than silicone. I'm open to suggestions.
I am a big fan of 303 Aerospace Protectant, have used it for years on plastic, rubber and fiberglass. Mostly on my boat, but also on door trim plastic and rubber.

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
293 Posts
Thanks, have you tried it on the rubber at the top of the smart car windows?
Yes, I have used it especially on the rubber trim components of the car. I've also used it on the exterior plastic panels, which looks terrific, but it washes off fairly quickly in the rain, unlike a good wax. It darkens black plastic and rubber, supposedly repairs and hides any oxidation. This makes them look new and unfaded. It could be used as a tire dressing, but it isn't as dark and plasticy looking as the tire dressing stuff sold at the auto stores. Also use it in the interior plastic doors and dash trim, but it can be very slippery, so not good for steering wheels, gas or brake pedals. :eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
YES!!!!

Finally found a fix for the horrid black link of gunk that keeps returning to the top of my window. I just scrubbed the whole area with rubbing alcohol and it's been 3 weeks and it's still good! I forget who suggested this but THANKS!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts