Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been a change in my car, actually noticed a year or more ago, but bugging me.

In my neck of the woods, most of the year leaving the homeplace early in the morning the windows are covered in dew. Wipers cover the windshield. Used to be, lowering/raising the windows would clear the sideways view. No longer true.

Not really clear on what's changed nor how to fix it. The seals used to nicely clean up the dew. Now, they don't. It's like lowering/raising the windows has no effect on the condensation on them. Please advise.

Clearly, something has changed, but I'm a dummy.

My car is more than five years old.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
The rubber has just probably lost some of its original snap....give the windows a wipe with a squeegee before getting in, would be the easy solution!

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Instead of trading in the car, it might be worth investigating trading out the window glass seals at the base of the windows on the outside of the glass. I think that might be cheaper than trading the car. I've noticed that mine don't fit as tight to the door as they used to either. I suspect this will involve removing the outer door skin to effect this repair.
Like changing the oil, trading the car is one solution to the problem.

·
Registered
8,989 Posts
...no need to remove panel...
...remove the screws that hold the door handle and pull back/slide the seals aft...
....somebody should have the part number...

Jetfuel....still wiping...

·
Registered
287 Posts
no cost option...

As you move your windows up/down, just press the window SLIGHTLY outwards with your hand. This small amount of pressure should push the glass against the seal at the bottom.

You can thank me later... :wink:

Dave

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Seals are old ..............

BEFORE replacing, try "reconditioning" them with alcohol ...............

Alcohol is actually a lubricant for rubber !!! :D

It MAY breath new life into them :)

·
Super Moderator
11,292 Posts
I noticed the rear upper rubber seal, the one the window sits in at the top of the post that divides the large and small windows on the drivers door has split on my car. It makes a lot of wind noise going down the road, and it right about even with your ear. so far a little duct tape has helped, but I'd like to replace it. Just don't know what to call it.

Good thing they make black duct tape..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts