Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my 2015 Brabus for about three years. In that time I have always had the sun shade pulled back. This spring for some reason I closed it and left it closed. I have in the past few weeks noticed how hot it has been inside the car and it's not even summer yet(I live in NW Ohio). I went out to wash the car yesterday and as soon as the water hit the windshield it popped. I was just wondering if this is just a fluke or something that is known. It had to be because of the glass being too hot on the inside.

·
17,479 Posts
To clarify, are you talking the windshield or the panoramic roof?

Either way, if your window was really hot yesterday and the car wash you went to had cold water, the rapid change in temperature could have caused the break. Even more so if the panel had scratches and other imperfections.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,767 Posts
I went out to wash the car yesterday and as soon as the water hit the windshield it popped. I was just wondering if this is just a fluke or something that is known. It had to be because of the glass being too hot on the inside.
To clarify, are you talking the windshield or the panoramic roof?
My vote, the glass windshield.

It's always best to wash your car in the shade for a number of reasons.

Guessing that the superheated glass was no match for the cold water out of the hose. The glass might have been weakened by a small rock pit in the surface?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is the windshield not the roof. No rock chips. It started on the top edge of the laminated glass. After looking at both my other cars all the edges are protected but the smart is totally exposed. I know from working with glass for 40 years that the edges are the most vulnerable. I guess I should have asked if this is a problem that is well known or just bad luck. In my opinion it is a bad design to have exposed edges combined with the heat and cold water.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,767 Posts
I know from working with glass for 40 years that the edges are the most vulnerable. I guess I should have asked if this is a problem that is well known or just bad luck. In my opinion it is a bad design to have exposed edges combined with the heat and cold water.
Although the smart's large windshield has proven a target for many road marbles, don't think that cold water on hot glass has been reported at a frequency that would categorize it as "a problem" nor a "bad design?"

Exposed edges of the glass wafer can be at risk especially since they are adhered directly to the (heat absorbing) heavy metal Tridion cell?

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
Glass must have a small imperfection. A rock chip. One of our cars, hail hit the edge of the glass. Two day later. It turned in to a small crack, then proceed to a large crack across the whole windshield. smart isn’t the only vehicle that’s frameless. Lots of modern cars, are like that. My Fiat Abarth is frameless too. Not a bad design, at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts