Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,193 Posts
I went out to wash the car yesterday and as soon as the water hit the windshield it popped. I was just wondering if this is just a fluke or something that is known. It had to be because of the glass being too hot on the inside.
To clarify, are you talking the windshield or the panoramic roof?
My vote, the glass windshield.

It's always best to wash your car in the shade for a number of reasons.

Guessing that the superheated glass was no match for the cold water out of the hose. The glass might have been weakened by a small rock pit in the surface?

· Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,193 Posts
I know from working with glass for 40 years that the edges are the most vulnerable. I guess I should have asked if this is a problem that is well known or just bad luck. In my opinion it is a bad design to have exposed edges combined with the heat and cold water.
Although the smart's large windshield has proven a target for many road marbles, don't think that cold water on hot glass has been reported at a frequency that would categorize it as "a problem" nor a "bad design?"

Exposed edges of the glass wafer can be at risk especially since they are adhered directly to the (heat absorbing) heavy metal Tridion cell?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.