Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
My windshield cracked in March 2008. It took smart like two month to get a new one, so I got an hefty discount. I believe the intial quotation was like $6 or 700. (My car has the rain sensor).

·
He's not mine
9,613 Posts
IF it hasn't run, you can have it drilled and repaired
Thankfully, I don't have a need for this service, and hope I don't in the future. I've heard of this type of repair before. But, who does it?

SUZE, sorry to hear about your windshield.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
My windshield cracked in March 2008. It took smart like two month to get a new one, so I got an hefty discount. I believe the intial quotation was like $6 or 700. (My car has the rain sensor).
$6? WOW! I like that price! :p
I've been spared so far...

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
To all you who think you've been spared of the chip/crack so far --- do yourselves a favor and take a really close look at your windshield. I thought I was OK, too, but after a very close inspection, I see that the winter roads have taken their toll. :(

·
Registered
43 Posts
hey Suze, try Precision Auto Glass on Foster..I've been to them several times, and they've been reasonable, get the work done on time, and handle a lot of the insurance crappolla!

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
OH- *&%*@! :mad:

After having 3 chips repaired less than a week ago, a CRACK appeared today! It's about 10 inches, coming from the bottom, right in front of my line of sight.

I'm hoping it won't take long to get a replacement. I don't think I'm interested in a repair, since it's already had chip repairs and has 2 chips on the rain sensor that the glass shop guy wouldn't touch.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Just had mine replaced today by safelite took him 20-min to replace. Only was 2-days from when I called! Glad it was covered by insurance $0! Part per invoice was $558 and $100-labor (done onsite).

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Suze

I think your windshield is just jelous because everything else has been replaced several times. It just wants some attention.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Took my first interstate run today and of course got a chip in my windshield from a truck kicking up a small rock :(

Fortunately, it was just a small chip and I was able to repair it with a windshield repair kit from Advance Auto ($8) :)

It's almost unnoticeable; of course I see it every time I look at my smart :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
IF it hasn't run, you can have it drilled and repaired

Only as long as the repair doesn't cross your normal line of sight; most glass shops I've had experience with won't touch a repair job if it's in the middle of the windshield.

It's worth checking into, though...

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
OK, after having a new windshield installed on Jan 21, today I was giving old zippy a bath and noticed MORE chips in the windshield! :eek: What is it with this car that attracts the chips?? :confused:

We haven't had any winter "events" that caused them to sand the roads since my new windshield. Why am I getting chips? I don't get it. :(

1 - 20 of 51 Posts