Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had to replace their windshield???

I got a crack in mine on the third day that I owned it.

The quote from the local Smart Dealership was $1,017.00 !!!!!!!:eek::mad:

Can you believe that !?!

·
Registered
36 Posts
My wife's smart had a cracked windshield from a passing truck that dropped a rock. If you don't have comprehensive on your car insurance it gets expensive, but instead of having smart do the job, call your insurance company. Even if you aren't covered, they''ll know who can do the work. I bet it's a lot cheaper than the dealer's price.

By the way, I can't tell at all that the windshield was replaced.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've suggested they do a recall or offer some other reparation to smart car owners.
Are you kidding?

If not, perhaps you also should have suggested "recalls" for:

-flat tires due to nails
-chipped paint due to stone hits
-damage due to hail

We have no independent statistics which would conclude excessive issues with smart windshields, only what is lamented here (and that isn't a statistic or percentage of anything). This is a statistic the insurance industry could (and probably will) compile, based on number of windshields replaced over number of miles driven.

As far as replacement price, I would suggest compairing it with other car manufacturers to get a reality check on what modern windshields (with integrated sensors, mirror mounts, etc) are costing to replace these days. For example, my Honda Insight dealer replacement price was about the same as what I've heard quoted for the smart, and of course lower prices should become available from aftermarket suppliers/installers.

This is what insurance is for...

·
Registered
801 Posts
Absolutely agree with PILB. As an aside, just replaced the windshield in my 1991 Dodge Roadtrek Class B motorhome, $248 installed....... such a deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts