Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there have any idea what a replacement front windshield might cost. i dont normally go for the extra insurance on replacement but think that i read somewhere that it is close to $ 1 grand. Called safelite yesterday but not in their system. Leaning toward the extra coverage this time. Any thoughts?:confused:

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Not part of comprehensive in your state ?

Putting full coverage insurance for at least the first year of a cars life seems the way to go. Some of the owners here have had to replace there windshilds belive smart picked up the tab so far...
karl

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
It is a rider I always buy on my auto insurance policies...over time it has proved slightly more expensive but real hassle free... by this I mean the I only have ever had two windshields replaced in 20+ years of the added rider fee..

But both times I called USAA, they dispatched some local company who did the replacement in my work parking lot and not a dime out of pocket

Some times insurance is a cost benefit, but most of the time it is a necessary expense that can significantly add peace of mind

I know a guy at work here who gets a new windshield nearly every year.... his travel to work includes 12 miles of bad gravel road and a lot of Ag haulers to eat dust behind.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I had a flaw in the glass on our yellow car. The dealer replaced it yesterday while it was having the shift linkage inspected and lubed. It was at their expense. smart has been very good about ensuring that I was delivered a perfect car replacing a headlight and fender too.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Kane...perhaps we have the same coverage and not language barrier...

Here our glass is covered inside the collision coverage BUT with the deductables...we usually carry high deductibles to get cheaper rates..

What some of us are describing is a secondary "rider" glass coverage that is an additional $2 to $5 dollars a month but no deductible.

The idea of this was to help encourage folks who have a damaged windscreen to get it fixed .... else some folks with $500 deductible would be hesitant to claim a $450 windshield as it all would be out of pocket

·
Registered
178 Posts
Glass

The glass rider is not a free ride. Most companies will consider a glass claim to be a claim, and if you put in too many, you are canceled.

In Colorado, you have to replace your windshield frequently because of sand pitting as well as cracks. This time of year, about a third of the cars at any given time have a cracked windshield. If the windshield truly is $1000, it would be a deal killer for me. I don't carry the glass rider because within a few years I'd be canceled. I need a new windshield every year, and I've had two in the same year several times.

Is there something unusual about the windshield, or is it just that there are no aftermarket windshields in the US yet? The Toyota FJ Cruiser windshield is a total debacle, because there is a piece of painted trim attached to it. Initial windshields were $1200-1500, but they have come down since the aftermarket stepped up.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
cosmart

My company USAA will not cxl for this reason...

And if I were you I would research my states consumer protection laws and see what they say on the issue... almost every state has significantly beefed up consumer protections relating to insurance (a state controlled area) after the Hugo and Katrina debacles

·
Registered
9 Posts
Windshields

Most insurance co in ohio cover glass breakage under your comprehensive
part ,at no add fees. same as hitting a deer , comp, will repair even car
even with out colision coverage.
:D :toot:smartje:

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
MA and many other states the same some offer a stand alone just for glass if you do not carry comp. Even if you pay cash for this you should do full coverage for the first year.
karl

1 - 13 of 13 Posts