Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So last night the front wiper fluid stop spraying. I just assumed it was empty so I stopped and bought more this morning. When I went to put it in I saw the reservoir was not empty. I filled it up anyway (just thinking it was too low) but it still doesn't work. Works on the back window fine, but not on the front. I made sure the nozzles are clear, but still nothing. It sounds like the pump is working (and, again, it comes out of the back fine), but nothing on the windshield. I have no idea what the problem could be and I'm not near a smart dealer (I also don't have days off due to working multiple jobs). Does anyone have any ideas? I found a previous thread (http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f183/rear-window-washer-20525/) about the reverse problem (back not working) that mentioned the hose connectors, but I'm not sure where that is in the front.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Check under your car. Do you have a puddle underneath after activating the front? The hose may have come off the barb from the pump motor. That's where I would start...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know where the hose connects? My car is in a parking lot a half mile from my office so I can't check for a puddle right now, but I suspect (or maybe I'm just hoping) that is the problem. I poked around in the front compartment (where the reservoir is) because I thought it might be a hose issue, but I couldn't see where it connected.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think it's that because it stopped working while I was driving which is why I first thought I was simply out of fluid. I had used it a couple times during the first half of my 30-minute drive home and then I tried it again and it had stop working.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Do you know where the hose connects? My car is in a parking lot a half mile from my office so I can't check for a puddle right now, but I suspect (or maybe I'm just hoping) that is the problem. I poked around in the front compartment (where the reservoir is) because I thought it might be a hose issue, but I couldn't see where it connected.
Yep, it low on the back, driver's side of the reservior. Tough to see, and really tough to get your hands in there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is that specifically where the front tube attachment is? I know something is attached properly because the back is still getting fluid. It's just the front that isn't.

·
Registered
320 Posts
When I first bought my 08 and on the way back from Seattle in a snow storm found out that they hadn't used winter grade fluid. It worked for a while, was liquid in the container but froze in the lines. Had to bring it in and warm it up to get the old fluid out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess it was frozen. I removed the front compartment cover to see if I could find a disconnected hose. Didn't see anything so I tested it to see if I could see fluid spraying put somewhere and it worked properly. Weird that it would freeze so quickly after use, but I'm glad it's fixed. Thanks for the help!

I did buy new fluid today that shouldn't freeze. Bought the car not long ago so I haven't had to replace it yet. Not sure what the dealer had in it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just to add to this thread for others in the future. Freezing over isn't the only cause, I had this same problem in Florida, back window worked but the front stopped. Pump was going and tank was full.

I finally got a round to checking for a puddle and it indeed was making a puddle under the car. Its a pain to see where the fluid is coming from alone, so get a friend.

My issue was the hose came off the little barb right up near the windshield. I took out the screws for the plastic cover that is across the front near the bottom of the windshield and found that the cover was also attached on the side panels near the mirrors. I did not see any accessible screws and was pressed for time. I didn't want to go down the rabbit hole of trying to figure out how to un-attach it at the sides.

However with just the front screws taken out of the cover, it gave me enough room to slip my hand under and put the hose back on the barb. I put everything back together and it worked... for about a day and it popped off again.

So I'm living without it again but i'll be completely removing the cover soon and finding some kind of retaining ring I can put around it or most likely a very small zip tie.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Isn't too surprising that it'd freeze after use. It'd actually be MORE surprising if it froze a) without being used and b) while parked. Things tend to freeze easier when there's a lot of cold air rushing over them.

I still remember the one day on the way down to the dealership mid-summer with my old Brabus Coupe. Started to notice that it was getting much warmer in the cab. Realized there wasn't 'really any cold air coming out of the vents. Shut the AC off thinking "Great... at least i'm on my way there anyway, so they can look at it". Tried it again a couple minutes later, and it worked like a champ. I guess it was just working SOO well, that the condenser froze.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Same problem .....

I opened up the front, wow, do I need some practice, bottle was blue and full, I twisted the top cap a few times which wasn't going anywhere, anyway, kind of sweet talked the hood or bonnet back on and it worked.

Reading further down, I tend to think it was the freezing snow problem mentioned later in the thread. Anyway, it worked perfect after that. No real answer here but it works.

Out of the 2-300,000 people claimed for this area, my Smart is the only one in the County. At least, that comes from the best car wash in the same area.

That would be hard to believe.

I am finding more and more excuses to go out and am starting to feel better because of sitting lifestyle I developed.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Just to add to this thread for others in the future. Freezing over isn't the only cause, I had this same problem in Florida, back window worked but the front stopped. Pump was going and tank was full.

I finally got a round to checking for a puddle and it indeed was making a puddle under the car. Its a pain to see where the fluid is coming from alone, so get a friend.

My issue was the hose came off the little barb right up near the windshield. I took out the screws for the plastic cover that is across the front near the bottom of the windshield and found that the cover was also attached on the side panels near the mirrors. I did not see any accessible screws and was pressed for time. I didn't want to go down the rabbit hole of trying to figure out how to un-attach it at the sides.

However with just the front screws taken out of the cover, it gave me enough room to slip my hand under and put the hose back on the barb. I put everything back together and it worked... for about a day and it popped off again.

So I'm living without it again but i'll be completely removing the cover soon and finding some kind of retaining ring I can put around it or most likely a very small zip tie.
sometimes the rubber hose gets stretched out and cutting off the end will allow it to stay on better. If you look at the hose, you may notice the very end is larger than the rest of the hose, cut that part off and the smaller end will dig into the barbed fitting better. Just don't cut off too much so it won't reach any more.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Thank you for that. This thread took a few seconds to pull up and I didn't have to bother anyone. I have never been on such a good, helpful forum as this ever. Including multiple forums of music tech, instruments and other gear.

I have to mention I found another or more properly it found me, added piece of tech. A little beep which made me look down, where I noticed the first, you are starting to get at the fueling point blinking symbol. This car is so high tech I just can not keep up with it. I went around a corner and it sloshed the fuel enough to tick the warning beep.

Which brings up the fueling cap which wasn't attached anymore. I did read about it but there are so many place to put the end of the nylon string, I just found a place to secure it to the tank cover.

I sure wish it had come with a manual. Things of this nature would be so easy. Thanks guys and gals.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts