Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My windshield washer quit several weeks ago, and I just now got around to looking into it. First thing, of course, was to check to see if it was getting power...and the easiest way should be to pull the power plug on the motor. I was expecting some trouble there, since I had read another post where the guy said he destroyed the plug in the process of trying to get the plug unlocked. He was right...unless you know the secret to unlocking it, it's impossible to remove. Having a parts car with the front clip removed and a good resevoir and pump was my salvation. The whole problem is that the plug and socket should have been mounted on the motor rotated 180 degrees with the lock mechanism facingout, and not facing the resevoir. As you look at the plug from the top, you see a small rectangular hole and logically expect that something must be inserted there to unlock it ,. WRONG. nothing you can do there will have the slightest effect. What you CAN'T see is another rectangular hole on the back side, facing the resevoir. That is the unlock portal....and you can't acess it without a special tool which you can make. You could butcher a long slender screwdriver to make one, but unless it was a really cheap and soft one, you would probably have to heat it to make the required bend. I used a 1/8" welding rod and removed the flux coating by laying it on a hard surface and pounding on it. Cut a piece about 8" long and bend about a 1" loop in one end to make it easy to hold onto and manuever. clamp about 3/8" of the other end in a vise and bend it while hammering on it close to the vise to make a nice sharp bend.....the angle should be 50 degrees. Now lay the end on an anvil or other hard, solid piece of iorn and flatten it with a hammer until it is about the thickness on the end, of a small screwdriver tip. Now to unlock the plug. With the tool held vertically above the plug and bent tip facing the plug, insert the tip in the hole in the backside until it stops...you'll see the tip in the little hole on top. Push down, then gently pull the top of the tool toward you and after it moves a little, you will feel some springiness. Pull until stops and the lock should now be disengaged. Hold it in that position and wiggle and pull upward on the plug and it should come off. It is possible that the motor/plump will come up, because there is really not much to keep there...there is about a one inch intake tube on the bottom that just pushes through a hole in the resevoir with an O ring to seal it, but mine was stuck and required prying a little between the motor and resevoir to get it started coming up. If you have fluid in the jug, siphon it out first or it will all drain out when the pump is removed and leave you with a mess on the floor. After the motor/pump comes out you will need to manuever it a little to get it up to where you can pull off the two hoses. All this, after you have ascertained as I did that the motor was frozen. I would have expected the fuse to blow, but the same fuse serves several things so I expect they made it larger than if it were just for the motor. Hopes this saves someone else all the learning process I went through! This would have been a lot easier if I could have posted pictures, but I,m still in the flip-phone catagory and too old to change.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts