Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble with my washer pump on my 2008 cabriolet. It wasn't working so I pulled the actual pump out of the plastic reservoir. If I was to just buy a replacement (which looks like the original) can I just re insert it with hose and electric? I figured I would take out the plastic reservoir since someone said you only need to remove the one nut in back of the wiper motor. I did this and there doesn't seem to be a way of removing this without major disassembly. On a side note I had to remove the wiper motor plug and it caused much grief. it has a locking clasp which looked like it was easy to figure out but it took an hour and I ended up ruining the clasp that keeps it firmly in place. I'm still able to plug the 2 back together but it's not as tightly fit as before. Anybody know the right way to disasemble a plug?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm having trouble with my washer pump on my 2008 cabriolet. It wasn't working so I pulled the actual pump out of the plastic reservoir. If I was to just buy a replacement (which looks like the original) can I just re insert it with hose and electric? I figured I would take out the plastic reservoir since someone said you only need to remove the one nut in back of the wiper motor. I did this and there doesn't seem to be a way of removing this without major disassembly. On a side note I had to remove the wiper motor plug and it caused much grief. it has a locking clasp which looked like it was easy to figure out but it took an hour and I ended up ruining the clasp that keeps it firmly in place. I'm still able to plug the 2 back together but it's not as tightly fit as before. Anybody know the right way to disasemble a plug?
I'm in the same boat right now - wipers work fine, full reservoir, but no fluid dispersement.

How did this work out for you? Were you able to resolve the issue?

I have an '09 Cabriolet - any suggestions? The shop wants $350 to replace the pump.

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, I have skinny hands, that helped.
Drain windshield fluid reservoir. Pull the pump straight up lightly, it’ll go very easily. Don’t pull up to high, just as it out of the reservoir disconnect electrical connector, and the tubing, on cabrio you should have only one tube. Then pull the pump all the way out. Remove rubber grommet, it will be probably still on the reservoir, use hook or wire hanger or something. If the grommet is clean and is sitting nicely, just leave it in there.
Connect new pump, tube, grommet on the nozzle, push it back in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I have skinny hands, that helped.
Drain windshield fluid reservoir. Pull the pump straight up lightly, it’ll go very easily. Don’t pull up to high, just as it out of the reservoir disconnect electrical connector, and the tubing, on cabrio you should have only one tube. Then pull the pump all the way out. Remove rubber grommet, it will be probably still on the reservoir, use hook or wire hanger or something. If the grommet is clean and is sitting nicely, just leave it in there.
Connect new pump, tube, grommet on the nozzle, push it back in.
@digisky Well, if it doesn't work, they can't charge me any extra for it already being disassembled when it gets to them, so why not? But why are there so many different pumps listed on the link you shared? (Or rather, how do I make sure I'm getting the correct one?)

·
Registered
18 Posts
You have to pick one first based on whether you have a coupe or cabrio/convertible. Then brand and price is up to you. I would pull yours out first, and pick one that looks very close to it. You can get one there or order one from the dealer for $40-ish

·
Registered
8 Posts
You have to pick one first based on whether you have a coupe or cabrio/convertible. Then brand and price is up to you. I would pull yours out first, and pick one that looks very close to it. You can get one there or order one from the dealer for $40-ish
@digisky thank you! I'll give it another gander in the daylight and see if I can't figure out how to replace it then - with $350 on the line, it's worth a shot!

·
Registered
18 Posts
This site is in Russian, but use the pictures as a reference for the pump location.

To summarize, open the hood up, remove fluid from reservoir (you can refill it and reuse of course), stick your hand in there, touch the pump, feel it out, wrap your fingers around it and just yank it out straight up, detach the tube and disconnect connector. Take a new one, attache tube, connector, and drop it in. There is not enough room for your hand, so attach everything and drop it in as close as possible. Align with the grommet/hole as close as possible and use anything (screwdriver etc) to help to align it and use something to push it in so it goes back in. 5-10 minutes max

1 - 9 of 9 Posts