Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Windshield Washer Reservoir on my '09 Smart must have developed a leak, as it no longer holds fluid.
Anyone have a Part Number ?

Thanks Very Much
John

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
331 Posts
Before you run off and buy parts... pull the Washer Pump from the side of the tank and make sure it's not just a grommet problem. (Assuming the 451 is built similar to my now 453).

My 2008 dumped washer fluid every time I filled it towards the end of it's life, so I never repaired that. But when I got my used 2016 (453) the pump would hum, but not spray. I started to order a new pump, etc... but in the mean time I pulled the tank up and saw how things were assembled, I found that my problem was just some stringy algae that had formed in the washer fluid. I cleaned that out of the pump, screen, and lines, and everything was fine.

I know your problem appears to be a leak, but I'm just saying... if you don't see an obvious crack, check the rubber pump grommet first (cheaper).

Just my $.02.
Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before you run off and buy parts... pull the Washer Pump from the side of the tank and make sure it's not just a grommet problem. (Assuming the 451 is built similar to my now 453).

My 2008 dumped washer fluid every time I filled it towards the end of it's life, so I never repaired that. But when I got my used 2016 (453) the pump would hum, but not spray. I started to order a new pump, etc... but in the mean time I pulled the tank up and saw how things were assembled, I found that my problem was just some stringy algae that had formed in the washer fluid. I cleaned that out of the pump, screen, and lines, and everything was fine.

I know your problem appears to be a leak, but I'm just saying... if you don't see an obvious crack, check the rubber pump grommet first (cheaper).

Just my $.02.
Jim

MUCH Appreciated, Jim!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts