Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I admit, I haven't done any troubleshooting. Looking for thoughts from y'all.

My windshield washer is on the fritz. I moved the wipers up (off windshield) to check. Pressed the washer position on the stalk, no spray, not a hint of spray, nothing.

Fuse? Do they have a dedicated fuse? No, haven't delved.

Blown motor? How do I check?

Line clogged or broken?

Other possibilities?

BTW, the reservoir is full.

I can't think of anything else to check.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

·
Registered
46 Posts
My window washer will not spray because have ice in the tubes right now, and every time I try it will blow Fuse #20 and it is a mini 10 AMP. It has been below freezing the last three weeks in Utah and haven't been able to use the window wash. I make lots of stops to gas stations and clean my windows. I also have a bottle i filled with de-icer and spay my windshield down and let it sit for a little then run my wipers.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, an aside from my problem for sure. But, in colder climates, don't they sell washer fluid with some sort of freeze inhibitor?

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
NCC, windshield washer fluid has alcohol in it that prevents ice from forming in the lines and reservoir in colder climates. You might have a dirty connector or switch that sends power to the washer pump motor. According to all data, the wiper washer switch sends power directly to the washer pump motor (no relay).
If you have a coupe, the washer motor is bi-directional to send washer fluid to the front or rear washer nozzle as selected.
The wiper washer switch is quite easily removed, having done that when installing my cruise control.
To get to the washer pump motor, if I read it right, the "front module" has to be removed. I suspect they are referring to the front clip or panels. I don't know if you can even get to the connector for the pump or not with out removing the reservoir which is a pain from hearing Chief talk about repairing his. His reservoir cracked.
It could be that the contacts need cleaning in the switch, the motor connector or the switch connector. A little CRC 2-26 might help. It is a contact cleaner that is safe for plastics.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
It's a real PITA !!!

This was supplied by one of our members :

Windshield Washer Reservoir Repair

The washer reservoir is indeed removable without having to disassemble the entire front end. There is a nut right behind the wiper plug. Used a small 10mm wrench to work the nut off. I also removed the bolt in front of the wiper motor to be able to move the motor ever so slightly so I could work the reservoir off the bolt.

The other connection point is a little harder to get to. If you pull the washer pump out of the reservoir and look below and to the right of it, there is another nut sticking out. I didn't have a swivel socket, but it looks like if you did you can access the nut from above. For me, I had to remove the bolts that hold the plastic cover on the underside front and stick my arm up with the 10mm wrench. It's tight but easier to get off than back on.

After the nuts are off, push the bottle to the right to disengage it from a plastic stud on the air box and carefully work the bottle out of the opening. It is tight but does come out.

My reservoir had a small crack or hole at the point where the bottle is formed together from the factory. It was at the spot where a hose from the radiator goes across the bottle. Don't know if it was a factory defect or if the heat from the hose caused the bottle to separate.

To repair my crack, I used a 35w soldering iron to gently heat the reservoir plastic and seal the pieces back together. Additionally, I applied a couple layers of plastic from an empty gallon jug of washer fluid and melted and worked the plastic together, welding them to the reservoir.

After the welding, I ran the reservoir bottle under cold water to harden up the patch.

The bottle went back in easier than it did coming out, but I did have to reach up from the bottom to push the small radiator hose up that goes into a groove in the front of the bottle.

After the reservoir bottle is back in, put the nuts back on, push the pump back into the hole in the reservoir bottle, fill with fluid, and don't forget to plug back in the wiper motor plug.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Thanks, Chief. It sounds from your experience that the pump connector and pump are accessible and removeable without removing the reservoir.
Once removed, 12 volts applied to the terminals in the correct polarity to be safe, should operate the pump. If it does, then the problem is up stream unless the ground connection is bad. If the ground and pump connector is okay, the next stop should be the washer switch assembly on the steering column.
I would check the fuse first to do the easiest of all checks.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Thanks, Chief. It sounds from your experience that the pump connector and pump are accessible and removeable without removing the reservoir.
Once removed, 12 volts applied to the terminals in the correct polarity to be safe, should operate the pump. If it does, then the problem is up stream unless the ground connection is bad. If the ground and pump connector is okay, the next stop should be the washer switch assembly on the steering column.
I would check the fuse first to do the easiest of all checks.
ACCESSIBLE ...... yes,

EASY ....... NO (especially with BIG, OLD, arthritic hands) :eek:

NCC1701 ..... do you hear the pump running but no juice ???

·
Registered
924 Posts
Keep the bottle from freezing...

To keep the windshield washer resevoir from freezing,
if you have not been putting winter blend in,
add half a bottle of gas line anti-freeze
(red Heet bottle preferred)
and a drop or two of dishwashing soap (Dawn)

·
Registered
946 Posts
We've had that trouble when traveling from down here in Texas up to Missouri when it's during the "sleet season" in the late fall/early winter. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that you can't buy the winter stuff down here.

In one van we had, we drove from Tulsa to Saint Louis in a blizzard. The weather was so severe that the slush thrown up from the road would freeze on the windshield on contact, no matter how much the defroster was cranked up.

We finally got to Saint Louis, and (after dropping my section of the hockey team off at the rink, I went and bought two bottles of the winter mix. Then I went to a half-enclosed shopping mall garage and ran the van for a half hour in a corner until the heat melted the summer stuff in the lines, then pumped the whole thing dry, and then filled it up with the winter stuff.

Having suffered through this once, I wasn't about to have it happen a second time. So, I resolved to stock up on the winter stuff once I got back home.

Of course, when I tried to buy it in Houston, they didn't have any to sell. No problem, the next time up to Saint Louis, I'd just buy it there. (We didn't have the space to haul cases of it back during the hockey trip, but had more than enough room on subsequent trips).

However, the next time up to Saint Louis, it was summer time. Guess what? All of the winter mix had been sent back to the warehouse.

So, we returned to Houston, where I ordered a case of same (which had to be sent from up north, natürlich). Now, even with some gifts to friends about to drive up north during the winter, I've got enough to last for a long, long time for the few winter trips that we take.

Every time we drive up in the fall or winter, I first pump the washer dry and then replace the summer stuff with the winter blend. Better safe than going through all of that again.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well .......................... :D
I hear nothing. Got someone to stand directly in front while I 'activated' the washing system. He heard nothing.

Gonna check the fuse again. Fuse #5 is for the wipers. Does it also cover the washer motor?

·
Super Moderator
11,222 Posts
On a side note, the nozzles can get water in them from melting ice/snow and then freeze too. Best to use them when it starts getting cold out and when ice/snow is falling.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We don't get a whole lot of freezing precipitation down here. I'm not finding a fuse problem. I am guessing the next step to to look for a loose electrical connection.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,

I am trying to remove the connector and it does not want to come off. I don't want to force and break it. Is there a trick to removing the connector on the top of the resevoir?

Thank you in advance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts