Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out my lil' Smartie is out of windshield wiper fluid. Any particular kind to use? Now I just need to figure out how to open my Smartie... lol. :D

·
Super Moderator
11,208 Posts
Pick up a bottle of windshield washer fluid just about anywhere, most commonly it is a blue color in a gallon plastic jug. It goes in the washer fluid tank under the front service flap (or hood) Operators manual will show how to open the service flap, or stop by the dealer and they can show you. Make sure it is closed and latched securely or it can come off when driving. Most dealers will show you how everything works when you purchase the car. If they didn't, I'd make a return trip and ask them to show you.

If you did not get the car from a smart dealer, you still can stop by most of the dealers and they still will show you how every thing works. Most service stations do not mess much with these little guys and may not know how to be sure the service flap is installed correctly.

(** Service Flap is what the owners manual calls the front hood**)

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Pick up a bottle of windshield washer fluid just about anywhere, most commonly it is a blue color in a gallon plastic jug. It goes in the washer fluid tank under the front service flap (or hood) Operators manual will show how to open the service flap, or stop by the dealer and they can show you. Make sure it is closed and latched securely or it can come off when driving. Most dealers will show you how everything works when you purchase the car. If they didn't, I'd make a return trip and ask them to show you.

If you did not get the car from a smart dealer, you still can stop by most of the dealers and they still will show you how every thing works. Most service stations do not mess much with these little guys and may not know how to be sure the service flap is installed correctly.

(** Service Flap is what the owners manual calls the front hood**)
OH....you mean the bonnet !!! :D :p

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Got some Ford concentrated formula from fordpartsdirect.com. Not at home but can get the part # when I get home/the chance. Will probably mix 1:1 with water to prevent freezing and cracking the reservoir. Read somewhere here that the reservoir is a real pain to replace. Well worth the security IMHO.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,635 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
If you buy generic windshield washer fluid at a part store or department store, pay attention to the label. The fluid used in summer has a freeze point of only 20 deg F while the winter stuff should be at least -20 deg F.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Got some Ford concentrated formula from fordpartsdirect.com. Not at home but can get the part # when I get home/the chance. Will probably mix 1:1 with water to prevent freezing and cracking the reservoir. Read somewhere here that the reservoir is a real pain to replace. Well worth the security IMHO.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Geez. I just tried to go to the website I posted, and it didn't work! I'm sorry. It's more simple, just plain fordparts.com. I'm attempting to see how much the case cost me. (My wife kept her receipt.)

(Back from fordparts.com, again, my apologies, and found the price to be $33.39 for a case of 12 32oz bottles from local Bob Wondries. List is $37.10 but some parts departments give discounts if you change the dealer selected and check. It's "Shippable" but might as well go and pick up from the local dealer for free. Be sure to open the case at the dealer and make sure that all the bottles are still full because some had leaked in mine and I had to drive back to get the issue resolved. I think twice, once to show them, and then once more to pick up the replacements. Hopefully just a random fluke.)

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
If you buy generic windshield washer fluid at a part store or department store, pay attention to the label. The fluid used in summer has a freeze point of only 20 deg F while the winter stuff should be at least -20 deg F.
A lot of the stuff around here says +32 deg F and above, so I consider that stuff risky, even here in So Cal, as sometimes when we wake up we see frost on the top of our cars.

Anyways, tried to check the reactivity of ammonia and methanol and it seems not serious. (I should really check reactivities before I say something as it's been so long since I took organic chem.)

(Oh, and be sure to put ZC-32A as the part number on the site, so that the fluid actually comes up. I think if you enter ZC-32-A nothing will be found. It will pop up a warning that it is sold as a case of 12, and that is how you have to buy it through the site. I asked the local dealer about pricing direct for a bottle, and it was well worth it to just buy a case through the site.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts